I have some problems with my new Xeon 4P rig, need some help?

Thanks for answering, but I have tried a number of different memory types and the only thing that has worked for me so far with Supermicro X9QRi-F + in combination with ES editions of E5-4650 has been Samsung M393B5273CH0-YH9 as ECC / Reg memory. For example, I tested Hynix 2GB 2RX8 PC3 10600R (HMT125R7AFP8C-H9) bought on ebay. These pieces worked neither on my G34 rigs or motherboard mentioned above.

So what I'm really asking about is what kind of affordable type of memory do you use (which is guaranteed to work) in combination with Supermicro X9QRi-F+ and ES editions of E5-4650 I have been looking at this list from Kingston http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=78545&mfr=Supermicro&model=X9QRi&search_type=&root=&LinkBack=&Sys=78545-Supermicro-X9QRi-F%2B+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search but all this chips are very expencive. Thank you in advance.

I have three X9QRi/E5-4650 ES systems, all using the cheapest unregistered unbuffered ECC dimms I could find on eBay (I think I paid $4/stick for a quantity of 48) and all working perfectly. I'll see if I can find a part number tonight, but I highly doubt all of mine match other than being unbuffered unregistered ECC. You keep spouting off part numbers, which means nothing to me (other than 10600R sounds like registered dimms again.)

EDIT: As I suspected: Hynix 2GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N HMT125R7AFP8C-H9

Thanks so much musky, I believe you and I will try with ECC memory. I remember there were many 1GB sticks of different types Ecc memory link Grandpa_1 let out to me.

Yes, and you're absolutely right with regard to the type of memory I referred to, it is Ecc / Reg memory. I'm not really familiar with what these cards can use the memory and interacted with what is offcially recommended by SM and memory manufacturers. If you remember from my first E5-rig I was very frustrated that all memory I tested did not work. It turned out that this is because I had chips with 2 different versions of stepping C0, and there lay the problem.

Last edited:
These are mine (and Grandpa's, since he told me where to get them on ebay):

Hynix HMT112U7TFR8C-1GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600E - 9 - 10 - D0

ECC, unbuffered, not registered, and cheap

I ask because in our team we are now 2 or 3 that are building on this toy at the moment.

I guess I should make a post here myself, since I'm one of the mentioned here, and I do have a few issues with my Xeon 4P.

I bought 4x E5-4650 ES C1 (QBED), but I received 4x E5-4650 C2 (SR0KJ) instead. I have a Supermicro X9QRi-F+ mounted in a Xigmatek Elysium chassis, with a Corsair AX 1200w. I use 16x KVR16R11S8/2 (click for datasheet), 2GB 1600MHz/reg/ecc. Kingston lists this ram as compatible with the X9QRi-F+ motherboard.

When I first booted the server, only CPU1 and CPU2 was shown in BIOS, with a total of 16GB ram. I removed most of the ram, and booted with only 1 chip of ram for each CPU, and it still only showed CPU1 and CPU2, with total of 4GB ram showing, as I expected.

To rule out any faulty CPU I swapped CPU4 with CPU1, and CPU3 with CPU2 and booted the server, with all the 16 chips of ram mounted, but now only CPU1 shows in BIOS with a total of 8GB ram.

I also checked all 4 cpu sockets for any damaged pins, but I could not see anything out of order.

One other thing I notice in the BIOS is under Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Socket 1 CPU Information, is that is says the CPU Signature is 206d6, and CPU Stepping is C1. But on the thermal cover on all 4 CPU it says I have a sSpec SR0KJ, which is a C2-stepping (according to Wikipedia. And according to cpu-world.com the CPUID 206d6 is a QBED, which is a C1 stepping. Have I gotten C1-stepping with a C2 thermal cover?

What should be my next move to fix this issue, so I can start make use of the server to fold? Boot the server with only one CPU and minimum amount of ram?

You have probably got some remarked chips, and 206d6 is the CPUID for E5 chips with C1 stepping, not for QBED only.
I suggest you to use hwinfo64 to check the real QDF codes for the chips.

I bought 4x E5-4650 ES C1 (QBED), but I received 4x E5-4650 C2 (SR0KJ) instead.

Last edited:
Currently KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G (8 kits for total of 16 DIMMs).

I also successfully ran Samsung M391B2873GB0-YH9 (albeit it yielded tad lower performance -- I suspect due to being single-rank).

+1 to musky's point.
Thanks again tear.
I did find a seller with 32 sticks of Samsung M391B2873GB0-YH9 on ebay and bought them all for $5.50 each. They work like hell, and both of my two 4p E5-4650 is now up and running at full speed. TPF for the server with 16 x 1GB of this memory folding the P8105 is down to 6:59 at the best, and the one with 16 x 4GB Reg/Ecc memory (my old one) is doing 6:46 at the best, so I am very pleased. I guess that when I install ramdisk on this one also the TPF will come close the speedy one. And I have 16 x 1GB ready for the next server when that comes in place. This is the cheapest trade I ever have made on server memory.

Back