I have not been able to get Windows updates since October

Or somewhere around there. If I do, when my pc restarts it will give an error and I have to do a start up repair. It then tells me some updates were not installed correctly and it is reverting changes. I am running Vista Ultimate.

So your able to download updates, but if you do, it gives you the error?

Yes it's legit, and I could install updates until October. I can download them, just not install them

Turn updating off.
Go to C:\windows\Software Distribution\ and rename WuRedir to _WuRedir
Go back to windows update and hit update and try to grab them

OP I had the same problem with Vista Home Premium x86 awhile back. For what ever reason SP1 failed to install correctly every time I tried using windows update. Eventually I gave up trying and just downloaded the SP1 install and when I ran that it installed properly and windows update has worked as it should since.

If you haven't tried what bigdogchris suggested I would at least give it ago.

I am running that onecare scan now and it's slow. I think I am going to wait until my server does a backup tonight then I will just do a clean install of vista and see if that fixes it

Personally I wouldn't resort to reinstalling so fast I am sure there is a simple fix for this. Do you know off hand what update it is that is failing to install correctly?

And when I asked if you had tried what bigdogchris suggested I guess I should have been a bit clearer. I was referring to his suggestion I have quoted below.

Turn updating off.
Go to C:\windows\Software Distribution\ and rename WuRedir to _WuRedir
Go back to windows update and hit update and try to grab them

"If you're running Internet Explorer, please upgrade your browser."

Sites like that = fail.

Also, I'd never trust anything other than Microsoft for my update sources, no matter how legit it's been in the past.

lol i've been using it for years with firefox. No problems with it.

I had this very same problem, except it was with XP Pro SP2. It would download all the necessary updates, but when it came time to install it would simply fail. It turned out that that somehow the address http://update.microsoft.com was not included in my Trusted Sites list under the options of Internet Exploder. Once I put the web address in the list and restarted IE, the updates installed with no problems :)

Of course this may not be the fix you need, so I suggest you take a look at the Windows Update log file. It should have an error code that you can paste onto Microsoft's website to help troubleshoot your problem.

I had this problem a while back. It had been related to a bad update download that was blocking further updates. Searching for the error code online, I found a way to erase the Win Update cache and download all updates that hadn't been installed from scratch, fixing the issue.

Try searching for or posting your error code and we might be able to give better help.

vvvvvv --- next post down is what I used

Yup, I've had that happen a few times (mostly on xp sp2, but also on a vista system). One download gets corrupted and nothing will install. I have the resolution bookmarked somewhere, but damn if I can remember which system its on.

Basic steps involve:

Manually stopping the windows update service
Clearing the cache
manually restarting the service.

Edit:

Found it

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

net stop WuAuServ

(note, you might need to reboot before the net stop command will work)

2. cd %windir% and press Enter.
3. rename SoftwareDistribution SDold.
4. net start WuAuServ

You will need to open the command prompt with admin rights if you're running with UAC.

http://swigartconsulting.blogs.com/tech_blender/2006/07/windows_update_.html

This has fixed this issue any time I've ever encountered it.

Back