I have joined the RED side.......muuuahaaaaa

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I've been buying Nvidia for a long long time now, but with the 5870 I decided to go with ATi. I also have HDMI back. The LG monitor I have would not correctly display HDMI it would shift the screen to the left. I tried the hack for it, but could never get it to work. So now with the 5870 I'm back to HDMI and it looks fantastic. The screen is much brighter and has more color. I don't know if that is the HDMI or the Ati HD 5870, but it does look better than the 285 I had in there.

Anyone interest in the 285?:D

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the HDMI, and the HDMI audio pass through....this alone was worth it. The ATI is better at multiple monitors too (Nvidia was so "clunky" to use). Turn up the fan just to check out the wind tunnel noise...good thing the fan NEVER needs to go above 40%.

Last edited:
I too am thinking about jumping ship. I want to get a new monitor, and when XFX's are available, get two 5870's to replace my SLi setup.:D

I am adding today (come on UPS!) an ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) to my 22" Samsungs....although, I'm going to stay away from a "triple" monitor setup for awhile. If I can mix and match monitors w/ different resolutions using Eyefinity "down the road" after more driver updates, then I may try Eyefinity. I'm just going to enjoy, for now, going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 resolution, and the bigger 25.5" size............Look out World @ War.

I hopped on the train, too...although I did own a 9800 Pro back in the day.
I'm doing DVI to HDMI just because it's what I have handy, although having a normal HDMI (with audio) option is great to have.
As far as the screen being brighter and more colorful, it's really just what ATI's drivers default to. The Nvidia color enhancer option essentially can do the same thing.
Still, I like the default color settings (and settings in general) for the ATI drivers. I barely had to do anything with them after install.

I went back to red on my 4870 then 4870x2... the 4870x2 pushed me back to green. I will avoid dual gpu solutions for a while. Hope my 5870 install goes as smoothly as my 4870 did. The 4870x2 was a nightmare. GO RED TEAM!

What's the best program to use for overclocking the 5870? CCC, Rivatuner or something else. If Rivatuner then does the newest version support the 5870?

What's the best program to use for overclocking the 5870? CCC, Rivatuner or something else. If Rivatuner then does the newest version support the 5870?

AMD GPU Tool and there is also the MSI Afterburner which I have read works on all cards. You can also OC some in the CCC. Rivatuner 2.25 should support the new GPU's soon.

By default the OC panel in the ATI drivers was grey'd out for me. I take it you have to use something like coolbits to enable that panel?

Waiting for the magic $299 price for the 5870 and I'm in. Starting to think Dirt 2 is worth buying the card now though, because I loved Dirt 1.

By default the OC panel in the ATI drivers was grey'd out for me. I take it you have to use something like coolbits to enable that panel?

On the overdrive page, if you look towards the top, there is a red lock-pad icon. You have to click on it before you can adjust the clocks.

I went back to red on my 4870 then 4870x2... the 4870x2 pushed me back to green. I will avoid dual gpu solutions for a while. Hope my 5870 install goes as smoothly as my 4870 did. The 4870x2 was a nightmare. GO RED TEAM!

What problems did you have? I had no issues with my 4870x2 and im looking forward to the 5870x2.

Well, I've been buying Nvidia for a long long time now, but with the 5870 I decided to go with ATi. I also have HDMI back. The LG monitor I have would not correctly display HDMI it would shift the screen to the left. I tried the hack for it, but could never get it to work. So now with the 5870 I'm back to HDMI and it looks fantastic.

That's exactly what the HDMI out on my 5870 does with my LG! I wonder if maybe it's a setting I missed? I also noticed when I power off the PC with HDMI hooked up to my monitor the monitor shows the "check your connection" or whatever. :confused:

EDIT - When using the DVI --> HDMI my monitor works perfectly.

2nd Edit - After reading some it appears to be a driver issue (typically with Nvidia, though). Hmmm

Last edited:
My ASUS 1920x1200 VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) came in, and I set it up w/ the XFX HD 5870. I'm now running just the normal 2 monitor extended desktop w/ my Samsung 1680x1050 226BW 2ms..............gotta say, I'm in computer monitor heaven. By the by, so far I'm very happy w/ the Asus 25.5" monitor......very nice screen space (the vertical space is amazing @ 1200 pixels!) now, no stuck pixels, one gray/dead pixel.....awsome.

What problems did you have? I had no issues with my 4870x2 and im looking forward to the 5870x2.

I had no problems either with the first driver.. everything was great.. did a driver update and all hell broke loose. Tried driver cleaners etc.. did a fresh install and never got it back right. One of the biggest issues I had was the stupid 2nd gpu hanging at 100% load when i was on my desktop.. which created heat and caused my fan to spin higher and louder. It was a huge deal for me. Few others had the same issue. It probably got resolved with future driver but I got it the week it came out and only had it for about 6 weeks. Trust me, I am not the only one who was bitching about the 4870x2 and driver issues.

Haha I joined the red side too. :D
I had a 7950GT KO. It served me very well but the fan died. I forgot to register for the waranty so it became no good. I got a 8400GT as a temp replacement card for cheap.
Yesterday I installed a XFX 4890 black edition. I waited to see the prices of the new 5series but couldn't justify $100 more right now. Its crazy better than even the 7950. I do seem to have some of the noise that some people complained about though with a fan squeal or something.

It didn't drop below 85fps playing L4D last night on full settings at 1400x900 resolution, averaged 110-94fps.

I also jumped on the bandwagon, im sick of nVidias buggy drivers, the slow failing of the GPU's over time, and the random tearing that occurs. Been nVidia for ever... now to the red side

I'm hopping on tomorrow with an ASUS 5870. I typically stick with nvidia cards if ONLY for evga, best company I've ever had a video card from. Come to the dark side evga!

Waiting for the magic $299 price for the 5870 and I'm in. Starting to think Dirt 2 is worth buying the card now though, because I loved Dirt 1.

I bet you will see this price when the NV Fermi is out in about 4 months time.

Use the MSi Afterburner program. 1Ghz core overclocks are possible with it. These cards are a whole nother monster at these speeds

i also had driver problems with 4870x2. cant wait for my XFX 5870...shipped today from tigerdirect. cant wait to replace this 4870x2. i might actually be able to play crysis...

ive been using rivatuner with this card but it's not 100% supported (fan speed adjustments are flaky and the threshhold amts dont work at all)

this will be my 2nd ati card, my last one being a x1950 agp.. I have high hopes for the 5850

Haha I joined the red side too. :D
I had a 7950GT KO. It served me very well but the fan died. I forgot to register for the waranty so it became no good. I got a 8400GT as a temp replacement card for cheap.
Yesterday I installed a XFX 4890 black edition. I waited to see the prices of the new 5series but couldn't justify $100 more right now. Its crazy better than even the 7950. I do seem to have some of the noise that some people complained about though with a fan squeal or something.

It didn't drop below 85fps playing L4D last night on full settings at 1400x900 resolution, averaged 110-94fps.

If you can still return that 4890, I'd go with a 5850. It'll have better performance than the 4890 and DX11/Eyefinity support.

I use AMD GPU overclocking tool. It allows me to go over CCC's current limitations and change voltages.

I'm joining the red side also. Going from 8800GTX to 5870. This will be my second time as my first was a 9800XT.

Its crazy better than even the 7950.

You say that like it's a surprise? The 7950 is 3 years old. The 4890 is relatively new and prior to the 5xxx release a couple weeks ago, was AMD's fastest single GPU card. Of coures it's going to be better.

Welcome camp jumpers, you have made a smart move.
I too used to be an nvidiot (no offense). all nvidia all the time, until they released the abomination that was the 5k series geforce.

Went to ATI for my next 3 cards, and 2 years ago went nvidia again. now i am going back to ati, awesome performance for the cheap ass price. Welcome again. (making my jump on the 9th of this month)

I'll be jumping to the RED squad as soon as I decide whether to get a 5870 or a pair of 5850 + a Crossfire capable mobo. Leaning towards a single 5870 now... maybe upgrade to a CF 5870 rig next year.

First time ATI user and so far so good. Hopefully overclocking will be easier than my GTX 285 (that thing hated to be OC'd).

First time ATI user and so far so good. Hopefully overclocking will be easier than my GTX 285 (that thing hated to be OC'd).

My gtx280 was a crappy overclocker. My HD8570 is at 900/1300 with no issues yet. Will push it harder later :)

I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about moving from Nvidia to AMD, or vice versa. Do people really cling to one specific company for so long, that when the do change, it's a life altering event? I knew that Fanboys existed, but I never could have imagined there would be so many. I'm not talking about one specific person in this thread, but a general sense I've been getting since the 5870 was released.

I too noticed brighter picture and colors coming from 5870 over my old 8800gt.

I jumped ship also. My 8800GT is finally starting to show it's age a little. I ordered the Gigabyte 5850 to be shipped later today. This will be my first ATI card since back in the 9600 XT days when Far Cry first came out so it's been awhile. :cool:

I sold my GTX260 and got a 4870 1gb.. Wasnt impressed so I sold the 4870 and got a GTX275, glad I came back to nvidia. I am still interested in trying the 5870, but im going to wait and see what nvidia does with their 3xx series first

Back