I have been a PC gamer my entire life, but the PS4 Pro looks amazing

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed the Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo on my PC yesterday to see if it might be passable for my son. Today I put the demo on the PS4.

It looks amazing. The polygon count is probably higher on the PC, and the foliage, for example, is more detailed there. I think it comes down to displays. My PC has a 144 HZ IPS panel, but my TV with the PS4 is a quantum dot VA panel. The game can have HDR enabled on the TV. Dark scenes, which a lot of the game is, are certainly lacking on an IPS monitor.

PC gaming monitors need to really catch up with the picture quality improvements that have been made in the TV space over the past five years. There really needs to be more, and more affordable, VA quantum dot or OLED monitors that support HDR and G-Sync.

Well you're saying the PS4 looks amazing in the title, then saying it's actually just the screen used in your post, so :)

I think Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro looks amazing. There's no PC comparison to be made as it's only for PS4, but it's still stunning. This is on a standard 55" 4k TV from Samsung. Running 'fake' HDR lol.

Well you're saying the PS4 looks amazing in the title, then saying it's actually just the screen used in your post, so :)
I guess. I haven't played a console since the SNES as a kid. I am surprised at how capable they have become.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro looks amazing. There's no PC comparison to be made as it's only for PS4, but it's still stunning. This is on a standard 55" 4k TV from Samsung. Running 'fake' HDR lol.
I have that to give my son for Christmas. He just got the PS4 for his birthday last week. I am still trying to feel out what games are appropriate for a ten year old.

I have that to give my son for Christmas. He just got the PS4 for his birthday last week. I am still trying to feel out what games are appropriate for a ten year old.

For some fun you can both play together, consider Rayman Legends, Little Big Planet 3 (though it's perhaps a bit weird? :p). Horizon gets pretty deep, some of the story might go over his head. But nothing I can think of that's outrageous for a 10 year old! Consider putting it on easy, it's not overly forgiving in some instances.

For some fun you can both play together, consider Rayman Legends, Little Big Planet 3 (though it's perhaps a bit weird? :p). Horizon gets pretty deep, some of the story might go over his head. But nothing I can think of that's outrageous for a 10 year old! Consider putting it on easy, it's not overly forgiving in some instances.
Okay, good to know.

I wish I could trade my Switch for a PS4 Pro. Nintendo's shitty ethnics and poor quality control makes me want to throw it in the garbage. And their pay to win scheme with Super Smash is downright disgusting. Looks like for every big Nintendo game they're going to make you buy a $40-70 controller. Makes me feel like an idiot for wasting money on a Pro Controller when cheaters can get in game advantages when they buy the stupid GameCube controller. For all things bad about Sony, at least they aren't going down the pay to win route for AAA games that cost $60.

I wish I could trade my Switch for a PS4 Pro. Nintendo's shitty ethnics and poor quality control makes me want to throw it in the garbage. And their pay to win scheme with Super Smash is downright disgusting. Looks like for every big Nintendo game they're going to make you buy a $40-70 controller. Makes me feel like an idiot for wasting money on a Pro Controller when cheaters can get in game advantages when they buy the stupid GameCube controller. For all things bad about Sony, at least they aren't going down the pay to win route for AAA games that cost $60.

What in-game advantages do you get with the Smash Gamecube controller? I haven't heard anything about it.

I installed the Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo on my PC yesterday to see if it might be passable for my son. Today I put the demo on the PS4.

It looks amazing. The polygon count is probably higher on the PC, and the foliage, for example, is more detailed there. I think it comes down to displays. My PC has a 144 HZ IPS panel, but my TV with the PS4 is a quantum dot VA panel. The game can have HDR enabled on the TV. Dark scenes, which a lot of the game is, are certainly lacking on an IPS monitor.

PC gaming monitors need to really catch up with the picture quality improvements that have been made in the TV space over the past five years. There really needs to be more, and more affordable, VA quantum dot or OLED monitors that support HDR and G-Sync.

It is definitely very impressive. I am in the process of selling off the PC in my sig because I have a Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, and a Nintendo Switch and I am completely covered for great looking games and games in general. You should see Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Xbox One X... been playing that lately and it's incredible. Also, there are a bunch of games that look incredible on PS4 Pro such as Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered, Order 1886, InFamous Second Son... and a bunch of others.

What in-game advantages do you get with the Smash Gamecube controller? I haven't heard anything about it.

I'm also curious about this. I haven't seen anything posted anywhere about this. In the old days certain (like 1/10) GC controllers used to allow for quicker dashes and shield drops, but that shouldn't affect the new game. Nor do the new re-released controllers have that "feature."

Back