I have a very simple at-home issue I can't solve. Cost effective way to extend at-home wireless.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by zamardii12, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

1. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

So, we have Verizon at my house. The Verizon signal comes into the Verizon router in the living room, but the signal is too weak in the furthest bedroom. I have tried using one of those WIFI extenders from Amazon but they simple don't work. The only way it works is using it to power my 5 port switch in the bedroom.

What is a cost-effective way to extend the wireless network in the house? I tried plugging one of the CAT5 cables into the LAN side of a wireless router I had bought figuring it would just re-transmit the existing network connection in the room without giving out IP addresses... it worked for maybe a day and then stopped working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

So, you definitely can't just connect a wireless router via its switch ports to a network and have it extend an existing wireless network. Wireless networks don't work that way (fortunately, and unfortunately). What you need is probably just a better wireless router, or some dedicated APs. Either way, it's getting rid of the terrible wireless that's often provided by carrier routers in the home. You could either go a simpler route with an out of the box mesh solution, or you can do something a bit more feature rich.
    • So this is a Verizon WISP router right? LTE to the home via the Verizon router?
    • This router then acts as your wireless router for the home?
    • It sounds like you have ethernet runs into different areas of the home?
    • How large is the home?
    • Single floor, multifloor, basement?