I have a (second) display whose native resolution is 1920 x 360 that I would like to use in Windows 10, help?

AdamInMO

n00b
Hi all, mostly tech competent here but I can't find an answer to this.

I have two displays running Windows 10.

1) Acer B346C running at 2560 x 1080 on HDMI which works perfectly.

2) Bluefin 24" with a native resolution of 1920 x 360 on HDMI (it is 24" diagonal, but 5" in height), however, Windows does not offer me a 1920 x 360 resolution choice. There does not seem to be a specific driver for this display, and Windows does not recognize the make or model.

Additionally, when I go into the adapter properties, and then display properties, and "show all modes", that resolution isn't offered either.

I have dual Radeon R7 360s, however, when I attempt to create a custom resolution for display #2, the most recent version of AMD Catalyst software says "the custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display".

I've used CRU (custom resolution utility) found on a site about testing monitors. I'm being purposely vague about this site as I don't want my question removed for plugging a specific website.

My end goal with this display is to be the top of an arcade/MAME cabinet which changes its marquee based on the game being played. That will EVENTUALLY be done using a Raspberry Pi, but, I'm more familiar with forcing a resolution in Ubuntu/Linux. I just want this attached to Windows 10 for now while I make banner artwork for various games, and as a stock ticker or something else while it is attached to Windows 10.

Does anyone have any guidance on making this work in Windows 10?

(I should note, the display DOES work, but looks awful/doesn't fit because I'm forced to select a resolution that isn't meant for the display.)

Seems like the Bluefin display is supposed to be used daisy chained with 2 others, and then you're supposed to use the Brightsign software to control what video plays on what screen. I assume it's showing 1920x360 as an unsupported resolution because it's designed to be used in a 1x3 or 2x6 configuration. Maybe try using the Brightsign software to get it to work.

Seems like the Bluefin display is supposed to be used daisy chained with 2 others, and then you're supposed to use the Brightsign software to control what video plays on what screen. I assume it's showing 1920x360 as an unsupported resolution because it's designed to be used in a 1x3 or 2x6 configuration. Maybe try using the Brightsign software to get it to work.

It's my understanding (admittedly limited) that they CAN be used in daisy chain to create a 1x3 display (the support site says "...support up to...", but don't NEED to be. In fact, the previous use that I salvaged it from was a 3x1 display, making it effectively 5760x360.

I guess my overarching question is just; how can I FORCE a resolution in Windows?

Maybe you have the correct resolution width and height, but the wrong framerate. Try 30hz or something.

I've used CRU (custom resolution utility) found on a site about testing monitors. I'm being purposely vague about this site as I don't want my question removed for plugging a specific website.
I might just be missing it, but what were the results when using that utility? Definitely an interesting project, and would be interested in seeing the end results once it's in use on the MAME cabinet.

I might just be missing it, but what were the results when using that utility? Definitely an interesting project, and would be interested in seeing the end results once it's in use on the MAME cabinet.
It allowed me to create a custom resolution within CRU, but that resolution was not an option from within the Windows resolution selection or within Catalyst's resolution selection.

Maybe you have the correct resolution width and height, but the wrong framerate. Try 30hz or something.
I'll give this a shot; however, I'm able to see a clear image at 60hz. The reason I mention it looks bad is because it is a) only showing me 1/3 of whatever resolution I choose, or b) trying to fit the image on the monitor which requires stretching of epic proportions.

Windows 10 might have minimum resolution it supports and resolution with 360 lines might not be even supported.
I tried to use CRT to create 240p mode (something like 320x240p60) for CRT monitor and it was not visible as an option. I managed 640x480i60 and it did work but only on integrated Intel GPU.

It might be possible that your only option is Linux or maybe earlier version like Windows 7, though it might also have this limit.

Windows 10 might have minimum resolution it supports and resolution with 360 lines might not be even supported.
I tried to use CRT to create 240p mode (something like 320x240p60) for CRT monitor and it was not visible as an option. I managed 640x480i60 and it did work but only on integrated Intel GPU.

It might be possible that your only option is Linux or maybe earlier version like Windows 7, though it might also have this limit.
Minimum resolution supported by Windows 10 is 800x600, so you may be onto something.

Maybe try feeding it 3840x720 to get around the windows limitation?

Back