I have a question if my current config with PCI-E 2.0 will be a problem with 4K VR

kiario

n00b
Hi,

I have a quite old system from 2014. Asus Formula IV MB with PCI-E 2.0x16.
I am wondering if it will cause performance loss when connecting a Reverb G2 headset that runs native 2160P.
I am planning to get the new 3080 series when they arrive.

Is my old PCI-E 2.0 gonna be an issue?

Thanks,

I wouldn't recommend it and would say you'll be much better off going for a 3070 instead and putting that $250+ saved towards a newer Zen 2 or 10th gen Intel platform, even if it's a cheaper Ryzen 5/i5 on a $100 mobo, to ensure there's no bottlenecking from the slower PCI-E and DDR-3 RAM.

Honestly you need an entire platform upgrade before you start thinking about a new GPU.

The thing is. My 4930k at 4.5 ghz has far from bottlenecked me with my current 1080ti.
And when you go at 4k the videocard is the limiting factor.
Read a test at techpowerup that pcie 2x16 is not directly bottlenecking 2080ti. Maybe a couple of %.
So maybe I'll be somwhat fine i thought.
Thanks for the replies

The thing is. My 4930k at 4.5 ghz has far from bottlenecked me with my current 1080ti.
Read a test at techpowerup that pcie 2x16 is not directly bottlenecking 2080ti. Maybe a couple of %.
Thanks for the replies
Worst case buy the best card you can when you do and if everything works great. If not buget for at least 200-300$ for a ryzen or Intel 10 gen setup and 16gb ddr4 ram

Thanks for the replies
Wait which chipset is that. I was think it was the old AMD MB. If it is the x79 chipset then you have 3.0 and would be fine.

Wait which chipset is that. I was think it was the old AMD MB. If it is the x79 chipset then you have 3.0 and would be fine.

Ivy Bridge-E had PCIe 3.0 and 40 lanes of it. So, the OP is incorrect with the assumption that it's PCIe 2.0. I would tend to agree that he would be fine with any modern video card with PCIe 3.0 x16 for now. Probably in another generation or two there might be slight bandwidth issues.

Thanks for clearing it up. I thought had 2.0 but apparently rampage formula iv has 3.0x16
Must have looked at the wrong MB when checking it up on internet before posting.
Thanks. for the info friends :)

Still a cpu upgrade would not hurt. But at 4k res it would probably not matter since the GPU is the limiting factor.

General gamer formula. Buy today, you're ok. In a year, you're out of date. In two years, you're obsolete. Just the way it is.

Ivy Bridge-E had PCIe 3.0 and 40 lanes of it. So, the OP is incorrect with the assumption that it's PCIe 2.0. I would tend to agree that he would be fine with any modern video card with PCIe 3.0 x16 for now. Probably in another generation or two there might be slight bandwidth issues.
Thanks for clearing it up. I thought had 2.0 but apparently rampage formula iv has 3.0x16
Must have looked at the wrong MB when checking it up on internet before posting.

Still a cpu upgrade would not hurt. But at 4k res it would probably not matter since the GPU is the limiting factor.
Yea when he said it was 2.0 I though he was talking about the crosshair formula IV board for AMD.

It's not a function of the motherboard. The Sandy Bridge-E 3930k only has PCIe 2.0. The Ivy Bridge-E 4930k has PCIe 3.0. They both work in the same motherboard. They did the same thing with the P67/Z68/Z77. Sandy Bridge is PCIe 2.0 and Ivy Bridge is PCIe 3.0, so it all depends on which CPU you use. That's something to keep in mind if you ever jump on a cheap off lease Xeon to drop in your motherboard. Even going forward, the Z490 boards should support PCIe 4.0 with a newer (unreleased) CPU, but the Comet Lake CPUs will only have PCIe 3.0.

Back