I have a problem with a WD external HD

dclprojekt

Limp Gawd
Ok so my friend bought a WD MyBook Essential HD a few years ago and apparently formatted it incorrectly. I guess she used NTFS instead of FAT 32, the advertised size on the box said 1tb, instead it formatted somehow to 596gb, now usually the formatted size on a 1tb is something like 945gb or something like that. Needless to say it should not have come out that small. I tried to reformat the drive using both NTFS and FAT 32 I even tried WD's own software that is supposed to restore it to the factory specifications, it didn't work. Every time I tried it gave me the same 596gb size. I looked up the serial number online and it did indeed match up with WD's website saying it was a 1tb. I'm stumped any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Use the Gparted LiveCD to format that drive as well grab the serial number of said drive.

is there any program that will allow you to format the drive from boot menu?

Ok so I tried Gparted and no dice I couldn't get it to read anything more than about 500gbs, here's the model number wd10000h1u-00. I'm not sure if there are any programs or not that will allow you to format the drive form the boot menu.

Back