I have a list of dremels.. Can you please help me choose the right one..?

YahonMaizosz

Limp Gawd
These are the lists of Dremels that I am interested at..

$53

$62

$80

Basically, I want a tool that is able to cut through my case for an easy wire management, cut holes for 120mm fans.

If there is a cheaper alternatives, please do tell me..

:)

Have fun cutting a 120mm hole with a dremel...You're going to need some major patience.

It's actually not that bad. Yes a hole saw would take like 2 seconds. But I did not want to spend $35 on something I would use like 3 times.

perfect results using the cheapest dremel I could find at walmart, a round file from home depot that was 3.49, some sand paper and a can of steel cut oats (it was the largest cylinder that I could find) . It might help that I have OCD, but it wasn't that bad. Took maybe an hour tops.

Thx for all the input guys..
I may be very familiar and comfortable with computer hardware, but when it came to these kind of modding that that require power tools, I am a complete noob..

The reason why I do not want to overspend on these power tools is because I am a student. It would be hard living in an apartment with all these tools and no space to put them..

Keep the precious info coming guys.. :)

I have 2 Dremels (400XPR and a much older one) as well as a craftsman version of a dremel. I would personally recommend the 400XPR kit because there are more accessories made for it ( the led light collet ring comes in very handy) and it includes the circle cutter attachment. I've used the attachment for cutting out 80-120mm holes in cases using a diamond coated bit, some cutting fluid (lubricant) and patience.

It looks like most of you guys agree with the 400XPR...
Just want to be sure, it can cut through this case with no problem right?
Don't want to buy something to find out that it will not be working the way I thought it should..

:)

http://www.tylertool.com/dremel8.html

$69

or if you have a drill

this 4 1/2" hole saw for $15
http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-3830-11...sr_1_120?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1211358397&sr=1-120

this mandrel for $7.89
http://www.industrial-supply-store.com/BAHCO 7_SLASH_16 HEX QC MANDREL||njeWczYS8jw.php

it is possible that the hole saw comes with a mandrel, you would have to call.

hole saw is definitely the way to go unless you have big plans for your dremel. 95% of pc guys who bought one never used it (dremel) again after first hole.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Use a coping saw with a metal cutting blade for large holes*. It will be faster than a Dremel and cheaper than a large, one-use hole saw. Plus it can cut any size or shape of hole. Just start the opening by drilling a hole big enough to pass the blade through.

*Works well with aluminum - I'm not going to comment on the efficacy of this on steel.

i just got a 300 n55 from target on sale for $50 this weekend. Might want to check and see if it's still on sale. (it was in-store only, i would call)

I'd recommend a hole saw... although you would need a hammer drill or a strong drill press because the 4 1/2" hole saws require a massive amount of torque (120mm fans)

Otherwise... I also own the Dremel 400XPR, it was my first and probably last dremel. Works great and has many accesories I can purchase for it.

Hammer drill? The secret to getting a cutting tool to work well is to make sure it's sharp and not use a lot of force.

If you buy a hole saw designed for cutting holes in drywall ceilings for light fixtures, it will not stay sharp for cutting aluminum or steel. For metal cutting, you'll need a bi-metal hole cutter (somewhat more expensive) and it will cut without being forced.

a plain cordless drill won't have nearly enough torque to cut aluminum/steel...

you need a hammer drill

I've tried lol... and yes, it was a 4 1/2" bi-metal hole saw

a plain cordless drill won't have nearly enough torque to cut aluminum/steel...

you need a hammer drill

I've tried lol... and yes, it was a 4 1/2" bi-metal hole saw

I've had no problems with a hole saw and cordless 12v drill, granted a press would give the most accuracy, less likely to twist out.

To the OP, if you are looking at cutting more than just fan vents I would recomend getting a jig saw with metal blades, helps keep things straighter/cleaner for larger cuts.

Also with the dremel I've grown rather fond of this attachement; its easier for me to keep a steady hand being able to hold it 'straight on' for cuts.

hole saw is definitely the way to go unless you have big plans for your dremel. 95% of pc guys who bought one never used it (dremel) again after first hole.

I've used my dremel probably a thousand times in the last 6 years on tons of different projects. If you're buying it just to make a fan hole, a hole saw would work a bit better.

Better buy lots of cutting disks...cutting a hole in the case will chew them up quickly.

Also with the dremel I've grown rather fond of this attachement; its easier for me to keep a steady hand being able to hold it 'straight on' for cuts.

That should be considered an essential part for a Dremel when working on cases. It makes work so much easier and allows you to hold the cutting wheel at any angle without the Dremel's body getting in the way.

Just out of curiousity, are dremels able to drill holes too??
Or I will need to buy a Power Drill to drill holes??

there are drill bit attachments for the dremel

personally, I don't like them... a powerdrill is must more handy

that 90 degree attachment will make drilling with a dremel easier though?

That is sweet to know that a Dremel is so much more than just cutting..:)

I had asked my friend to buy a dremel set with me. Perhaps, he and I can share the price of the dremel set, making it less expensive and double the fun..:)

That is sweet to know that a Dremel is so much more than just cutting..:)

I had asked my friend to buy a dremel set with me. Perhaps, he and I can share the price of the dremel set, making it less expensive and double the fun..:)
sharing is caring.

I've used my dremel probably a thousand times in the last 6 years on tons of different projects. If you're buying it just to make a fan hole, a hole saw would work a bit better.

then you are with me in the 5% of guys that use dremels for other interests.

if you need to save money, just buy a different brand name rotary tool... just make sure it has a decent warranty

you'll probably never use many of the Dremel brand specific attachments (flex light, flex shaft etc.) and thus you can live with just the actual bits/mandels/chucks themselves with nearly the same performance

This is the dremel that my friend has in mind.. Do you guys think it is worth it?? It cheap though.. :)

you can get the B&D rotary tool for 29.99. It has more torque than the dremel, its a good deal

you can get the B&D rotary tool for 29.99. It has more torque than the dremel, its a good deal

amen, my dremels always break.. now i just have a drill and a grinder

i have B&D rotary tool which works great and hasnt broken yet though!

anybody ever use a plasma cutter for cutting fan holes? I have access to one, though I'm thinking it would be too hot and warp the metal.

Use a water jet cutter instead. Heck, why not machine a case out of a solid block of aluminum? :)

anybody ever use a plasma cutter for cutting fan holes? I have access to one, though I'm thinking it would be too hot and warp the metal.[/QUOT

I dont know if that would be a good idea,... Pretty sure it would warp the case,... but im not positive.

post a thread with your results, I'm sure a lot of other members would be interested with what happens as well

forgot to add, instead of going to home depot or lowes etc, and buying little packs of sanding bands, reinforced cutoff wheels, etc. Widgetsupply sells cheap 'oem' i guess, dremel accessories. They work pretty well.

Will do, not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll try soon. My Alien-X case should be here in the next couple of days, so I need to figure it out soon.

Back