I have a huge problem

Decker87

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone. I have a huge problem, I have a ton of used and new corporate networking inventory from a communications company that shut down recently in my town. I happen to know the owner and he gave me lots of stuff for very cheap.

The problem is that this stuff is extremely high-end, much of it is from a brand called Adtran. Looking at prices on the internet, the items I have in my room here sell for about $200-$500 retail each. But eBaying them is impossible, there simply aren't any auctions online for this stuff. So how in the heck do I get rid of all this? I don't know who or where to sell it to. Have any ideas?

Sell it to us for cheap? :)

But really Im not too sure, you could always try Ebay and see if you get anything.
Try selling it to shops around town? Maybe offer to set it up for a fee if they wanted also.

Heh, no, I'd have no idea how to set this stuff up. It's definitely not your typical wireless router/adapter kinda stuff. I don't even know what some of it does.

I would try to sell it here, but I want some serious offers...I mean, its kindof a rip if it retails for $600 and I don't even get $100 for it. I'll post some of it and see if I get any offers.

Just put some of the shit up on ebay, just becaue there is none currently up doesn't mean someone won't buy it. Or it might not be there because the shit really sucks and you just think it's high end :)

I just checked ebay and they are about 230 Adtran items up so maybe you should check there again.

Decker87 said:
I mean, its kindof a rip if it retails for $600 and I don't even get $100 for it.

I'm suddenly hearing echos of my Mom talking about my comic book collection:

"It's worth exactly what you can get someone to pay for it, not a penny more."

Malk-a-mite, once again I agree with you. I cant even begin to describe all of the junk ive scored over the years from companies going out of buisness. Paid $65,000 for it new? Who gives a rip... Ive got $50.00 in my pocket, take it or leave it.

Computers drop in price very quickly, and to the general public, weird networking 'crap' isnt worth much. Just look at the government auctions, whole pallets of P3-P4 computers go for the price of what one P3-P4 comptuer would cost you used at a store.

Just like the power supply and three oscilloscopes on my desk here, they were all probably 3-4 grand worth new. I paid $140.00 for all of it, and it all barely fit in my trucks bed (the scopes, psu and other miscellanous computer and electrical equipment).

Though if you have things that arent weird and are usable, inventory what you have and post it. Things especially like 1-2U rackmount servers go for good cash on ebay. Dont forget, its all about wording. You could say something like "Cabletron 100-24TXM" for the ebay title, (my 24-port switch) and nobody would know much about it, or possibly skip right over it.

But if you labled it "24-port 1U managed rackmount 10/100 switch"... yeah, people are going to notice that more, because people will be looking for switches, not 'cabletron'.

Before you put it up for sale not knowing what it is worth, You may want to post the list here and we can give suggestions as to what you might be able to get.

We use alot of the Adtran DSUs and NT1s boxes for our VTCs. Adtran stuff is pretty popular. You may not have a problem selling the stuff on ebay. Only problem is that you have no way to test the equipment for proper functionality.

Well there's some stuff I can test and some I can't. I know a lot of this stuff hasn't been opened, so it's pretty safe to assume it works. (I mean, it's not made by maxtor or anything)

lol I think you got jacked :)

used equipment is in my opinion worth very little, especially high end stuff and I'll give you an example:

I Just bought 3 new catalyst cisco switches to the tune of about $12,000 , yet I could have had 6 of them off ebay for about $2000.

Why you ask? because high end stuff is for business/corporations/enterprises, as such the $10,000 is nothing if you take into account minimum possible risk factor (aka unit won't die on you in a month since it got thrown around somewhere).

It just isn't worth it, so your item retailing for $600 selling for $100 is IMHO a GREAT deal and you should do it. you will NEVER get retail or even 50% of retail value from them. You may find some poeple who want equipment for their home labs or maybe even work labs for testing, but I doubt anyone would actually put it into production environment and if they do then I feel sorry for that company, lol

but in all seriousness and I'm not trying to "get a deal" or anything, post a list of units/model numbers. I might be interested in few things for my work lab at a reasonable price.

adtran stuff resells at a good price, but as has been mentioned, you will get what people are willing to pay for it. The longer you sit on it, waiting for the price you expect, the more likely you won't get anything for it.

There's a company down in Florida called NetworkLiquidators who might buy that stuff. Maybe you can check out their site and see about it.

Nate7311 said:
Why not post what you've got here? Some of us may be interested...

Winner! You are now the 3rd person to repeat what I have posted earlier ;).

Sorry. I have some Cisco 2500 and 2600 series routers, and some unused Adtran DSU 5600's, and some new Cisco hubs (2 fiber ports and 15 cat5's)

And yes I realize I won't be getting any huge amount of money for this stuff. How much would you guys pay for this stuff?

Almost forgot, I also have like 20 assorted SCSI drives, a few of them are tape drives, most of them are seagate cheetahs (15,000 RPM) and 10K (is that raptors?).

Decker87 said:
Almost forgot, I also have like 20 assorted SCSI drives, a few of them are tape drives, most of them are seagate cheetahs (15,000 RPM) and 10K (is that raptors?).

The 10Ks were also cheetas, I had a few of the 18.1GB cheetah drives in one of the compaqs I hauled home. The 18.1GB cheetahs are buy-it-now $21.00 on ebay. $30.00 shipped each, in the for-sale/trade subforum, Id go for it if I still had those compaqs.

Its been mentioned already, but when it comes to used stuff like this, dont expect much. Though if you have 20 drives and get 20 bucks each, id say its worth it for you to make the effort to sell 'em. Erm, well... assuming you have all of the 18.1GB drives. Larger ones, especially the 15krpm ones... they go for more, though nothing near what they cost new.

And for the 5th-anniversary post, just list off *all* of what you have (unless you have several semi-trailer loads to inventory).

bob said:
Winner! You are now the 3rd person to repeat what I have posted earlier ;).

I had to re-read your post 3 times to find it. For some reason it did not stick out, but then again mine must not have either and it was only 1 sentence long.. :)

Here let me say it again # 6 :)

Post what you have so we can help evaluate.

Decker87 said:
Sorry. I have some Cisco 2500 and 2600 series routers, and some unused Adtran DSU 5600's, and some new Cisco hubs (2 fiber ports and 15 cat5's)

And yes I realize I won't be getting any huge amount of money for this stuff. How much would you guys pay for this stuff?

The Cisco stuff Network Liquidators will buy. You can put what you have into this page to see what they'll offer you for it.

Adtran is good stuff IMO. They are mostly known for NT1 and CSU/DSU devices but have been holding their own in the switch/router game. My dad's work uses a good deal of their stuff over Cisco or HP...
networkhardwareresale.com is another place that buys used equipment, may want to check them out. For Cisco routers, eBay is probably a good bet, there is always a lot of that stuff on there.

Back