I have a huge problem increasing the system res on an old system. Need help!

Kuyt

Gawd
Basically, I reformatted this old as Sony for my parents to use (model PCV-RX750) and every time I try to increase the res to anything higher than the default (800x600) it just says "video mode not supported." I installed the SiS video drivers but I still couldn't get anything to work, and when I dxdiag/run it, it doesn't detect crap (can't detect the SiS integrated graphics, everything is just n/a for Display. Nor can the comp detect the monitor (just says default monitor, can't change any settings like hz or anything, it doesn't detect shit). Whats weird is that the SiS drivers don't show up in the program files, and every time I install them, it says they haven't been installed. What? And the res changing worked fine before I reformatted it.

I tried using two different monitors too (syncmaster 151v, flatron 1710s [on the flatron it says out of range 37.5 kHz / 87 hz, don't know what the means, but I assume thats the same as video mode not supported]) but to no avail, but the thing was, I couldn't find monitor drivers for BOTH does monitors. Do you think that will solve it? Or should I use a program like AsTray plus to force 1024x768 on it?

here's what I'm talking about:
KGydA9I94I.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
the problem is the "Main Driver: vga.dll"
it's using the standard VGA driver, not the actual video chip drivers.

what does Device Manager look like? any yellow exclamation points? particularly on the display adapter

the problem is the "Main Driver: vga.dll"
it's using the standard VGA driver, not the actual video chip drivers.

what does Device Manager look like? any yellow exclamation points? particularly on the display adapter

Ah. You've got it. Where do I go from here? I tried to get the drivers via the wizard, but it couldn't find any.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

rjumrNDM8o.png

If you are sure you have the correct drivers, you can always try installing them manually.

You installed this driver and it still doesn't work?

Also, have you ran Windows Update to check for drivers? Also what's left of your device manager that you need to install.

can you manually extract the exe file, and then manually install the drivers?

Make sure you have the chipset drivers installed too, sometimes that can clear up video issues.

Back