I have a favor to ask of those who are networking types: Latency spikes SOLVED with a Registry DWORD entry into adapter settings.

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
SOLVED: The ping request to the router is not accurate

When pinging a server, such as Google, I got 12ms-15ms with no latency spikes at all.

Router ping solution: Registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

• Look through the child keys (0000, 0001, 0002 etc.) until you find the one where the AdapterModel value is the name of your wifi card (e.g. Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260)
  • Within the same key, add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with the name "ScanDisableOnLowTraffic" and a value of 1
  • Restart Windows

SOLID 1ms router ping times wit a few 5ms +/- 2ms pings, but 99% 1ms to the router.

-----------Original post----------------
I'm trying to diagnose some WiFi latency issues and I need a baseline.

Methodology:
ping: 127.0.0.1 -n -n 100 (sometimes 600) - THIS PRODUCED NO SPIKES and all requests were returned at 1ms or less
ping 192.168.0.1 -n 100 (sometimes 600)

This is on a NON congested router where my phone, and IoT lamp, and computer are the only things connected, and the lamp is off and on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Testing on 5Ghz.

Router is 7' from the adapter.

Router power = medium.

1. I had and have some latency spikes both small large when pinging my router. Chipsets are:
    1. Intel 9620 (latency spikes randomly at 40-100ms)
    2. Realtek 8812BU (several different adapters using the same chipset, 3000ms+ spikes every 5 or so ping requests. Setting [netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"] solved that problem, but it is only a troubleshooting kludge--you lose all SSID interface and on reboot, and you have to set the variable to "yes" again, or you cannot connect to your SSIDs.)
    3. 8812BU: After installing Realtek's 2017 drivers as opposed to MS's newest drivers, it's mostly clean at 1ms with an 8ms once every 50 or so requests. (It's pretty unsettling that the MS drivers have problems like that.)
  2. I updated the Intel 9260 drivers from the Intel's website. Mostly it's fairly clean, too, but I'm still getting some intermittent, but infrequently, spikes in the 20-120+ region (e.g., out of 100 ping requests, maybe one will be 48ms).

My request is would any of you be willing to ping your router using any channel or band you want, as long as you state which it is, for a 500 poll test?

e.g.: ping 192.168.0.1 -n 500

Where"192.168.0.1" is you router's IP Then just cut and paste your results like this:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 1ms <--this is once instance of my 9260 card having one spike to 48ms in 50 requests.

If you want to add how many spikes you had, please do, or any other relevant information.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
only 600 pings.
will it help with more or multiple bunches of 600 ?
Do yuo mean if you keep polling past 60 request, will that solve the problem? No. It seems that this router, and many others, scan for something (not sure what), and that causes the spike. It's always LAN, and never on WAN. Once I pinged an outside server, the ping times were clean at 12-15ms, no spikes. When pinging the router gateway only, that's when I would see them.

If you care, in any way, about latency, drop the fucking wireless and use a damn cable, seriously. (y)

If you care, in any way, about latency, drop the fucking wireless and use a damn cable, seriously. (y)
Wow you solved the problem! I'll just run the CAT 7 cable across the living room floor so my 92 year old elderly mother can trip over it--SERIOUSLY! Some life situations make a direct wired connection unrealistic. Besides, I'm not getting any latency issues with my new D-LINK AX Router. Can't get any better than that.

ping.PNG

Do yuo mean if you keep polling past 60 request, will that solve the problem? No. It seems that this router, and many others, scan for something (not sure what), and that causes the spike. It's always LAN, and never on WAN. Once I pinged an outside server, the ping times were clean at 12-15ms, no spikes. When pinging the router gateway only, that's when I would see them.
I was asking in regards to your request to provide ping logs for you.

Wow you solved the problem! I'll just run the CAT 7 cable across the living room floor so my 92 year old elderly mother can trip over it--SERIOUSLY! Some life situations make a direct wired connection unrealistic. Besides, I'm not getting any latency issues with my new D-LINK AX Router. Can't get any better than that.

View attachment 312413

Although I understand your circumstances I bet your grandma doesn't give a shit about latency spikes she'll never know about. Sounds more like you are triggered about a non issue. 😬

PS: Glad you solved it regardless. 😁

Back