i have a dremel.

Teknokid

[H]ard|Gawd
its leant out too someone but i just realised i had one. any tips for using it? techniques? all would be greatly appreciated?

QFT - my buddy had to go to the ER back in HS b/c he didn't wear goggles, but he was a moron.

Get some of the reinforced cutting discs and practice with scrap metal or an old case you don't care about anymore.

Instead of goggles get a face shield, much better and it flips up and down when you need it.

Dremel pieces to the mouth,nose hurt a LOT.

Instead of goggles get a face shield, much better and it flips up and down when you need it.

That's a better idea. Does home depot sell those for cheap? The safety glasses I got were like three dollars. It would be cool to have a professional mask.

Does that dremel attachment really help that much? I just ordered a A05 and am planning on cutting in a window. I really don't want to screw it up seeing they don't sell replacement panels

should I get special blades for the jigsaw. I have one and was messing around with it on an old case panel. It seems like it would be hard to do corners. Maybe I'll be a whole saw for the corners and use the jig on the straight parts.

Jigsaws are good for side panel windows. I used a jigsaw for my case window and it turned out fine. Jigsaws are better to use for the common man unless you are decently experienced with a dremel. For a while, you will easily screw up using a dremel, and even if you don't, it takes a while to make sure lines are straight.

I know using eye protection saved my eye while using a dremel.. i have a few deep scratches in my glass's cause of cutting metal.(btw it also doesn't feel to comfortable whne hitting your forehead.

ok. thanks for the tips. ill wait till i get the dremel back and see what stuff i have, then get some goggles and have a go :)

You might want to check out the Case Modding FAQ and more specifically the section of it under C that reads...
Cutting: Dremel
A good rotary cutting tool that most case-modders use can be found at any hardware store or Walmart...
www.dremel.com

Cutting: Dremel Alternatives
Black and Decker makes the RTX and Wizard, both rotary tools and good alternatives to the Dremel. The Wizard is cheap at $20~$25, but is cordless which is not very good for cutting metals. RTX is $30~$40 and is essentially a dremel, corded and uses same bits. Can be found at nearly any hardware store or Walmart. http://www.blackanddecker.com/produc...=826_Su b_Web

Cutting: Dremel How-To
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/101/
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guide...el/index.shtml

And in particular the article at bit-tech. I found it incredibly informative. Not to mention they have some good articles on using a dremel to engrave. That's something I'm going to start trying to do...

~ Metal Shop 101 ~

A face shield is NOT a replacement for safety glasses. One of the 1st things they should teach you.

In addition to safety glasses, you might also consider breathing & hearing protection.

Also, work in an area that is easy to clean up afterwards. Your bedroom is not a good place for this. You'd be surprised how
much the metal & cut off wheel material get around. Look at the the pile in this image. Enough for a handful.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spin37sq.jpg

armor1nr6.jpg

Just pick up one of these and you'll be fending off those deadly bits of shrapnel in no time! :rolleyes:

But seriously, glasses will be fine, a face mask if you're rely all that concerned about safety.

In addition to safety glasses, you might also consider breathing & hearing protection.

Also, work in an area that is easy to clean up afterwards. Your bedroom is not a good place for this. You'd be surprised how much the metal & cut off wheel material get around. Look at the the pile in this image. Enough for a handful.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spin37sq.jpg

QFT
You definitely don't want to be breathing little metal dust. Invisible little lung cancer causing aveoli scarring irritants.

Besides all the joking and crap going on in here...
The best way I've found to hold one of the first dremels (the vibrator sized ones, sorry to say it) I dont know how otherwise to describe it..

Use both hands. If you are right handed grip the dremel at the bottom with your pointer, thumb and middle finger. then take your left hand and place it under your right and grip it so that you dont slip and make a mess that'll end up in Ghetto Mods.

:)
Happy dremel'ing.
Also make sure to use some type of oil like WD40 when cutting-- and too much masking tape is never enough.

That's a better idea. Does home depot sell those for cheap? The safety glasses I got were like three dollars. It would be cool to have a professional mask.

Sorry it took so long to answer, Yes HomeDepot/Lowes have the face shields (its like $8) its much easier to work with than the glasses.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought -

What if Dr. Martin Luther King were a modder...

Seriously though - when I first got my dremel, it took me a while to get a feel for it. Let the speed of the tool do the work - don't bear down too much.

DE

Get goggles with air valves...not the ones that vent with holes. I deal with cutting and grinding every day of my life....and it is VERY possible to get a foreign object in your eye with a face shield....it has happened to me.....:(.......... on more than one occsaion.

If you are working with metal and have the potential of metal flying upwards and a considerable speed, I would recommend wearing safety glasses and a face shield. A field shield alone is NOT enough. They are not rated for any impact whereas the glasses are.

Get goggles with air valves...not the ones that vent with holes. I deal with cutting and grinding every day of my life....and it is VERY possible to get a foreign object in your eye with a face shield....it has happened to me.....:(.......... on more than one occsaion.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean.
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought -

What if Dr. Martin Luther King were a modder...

Seriously though - when I first got my dremel, it took me a while to get a feel for it. Let the speed of the tool do the work - don't bear down too much.

DE
Great advice. Since a Dremel lacks any real torque, you must rely on high RPMs to do the work.
If you are working with metal and have the potential of metal flying upwards and a considerable speed, I would recommend wearing safety glasses and a face shield. A field shield alone is NOT enough. They are not rated for any impact whereas the glasses are.
Indeed. In addition to that, projectiles can enter from the sides, bounce off the inside of the shield, and get into your eyes.
Face shield to protect the face - - glasses to protect the eyes.

We may have gone off on a tangent here concerning safety, but that is a good thing IMO. Don't see proper safety procedures mentioned often
enough in the modding forums. We should never take our health for granted. If you don't have that, you don't have anything.

Back