I have a Cisco 3600 Series router

wizdum

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, the one released in 1996 and EOL'd in 2003.

Please stop laughing.

This is the gateway to the internet for the school that I work for. It gets 3 class C IP blocks over BGP, and has 5 interfaces. Two are used for 60mbps fiber links, in a failover setup, one goes to a Sonicwall that the school uses as its primary router, one goes to a municipal WISP network, and one goes to a colo rack that they rent out. A switch sits between the sonicwall and the 3600, which acts as the "DMZ".

They have been having some network problems as of late, and I can't find the problem anywhere in the gear after the sonicwall. We monitor most of the network equipment via SNMP. We don't have any kind of monitoring on the Cisco 3600, and I don't think anyone has even touched it in over 13 years.

We have users complaining about pages not loading, and "the internet being slow". When I look at the logs, and the real-time graphs when the users are complaining, we have never used more than 40mbps, and its usually in the 15 - 20mbps range. So my question is, could this old Cisco 3600 be choking on the kind of bandwidth that we are expecting it to route? Does anyone have any experience with this thing?

Setup snmp on the 3600 and MRTG graph it.

You can also monitor cpu and memory usage with snmp. It could be filling up its memory.

Could be choking depending on which features/services are being used. Usually 20-35Mbps without any.

Need more details like what exact version it is (3620, 3640, 3660), what IOS version, and how much RAM it has. Here's a guideline from Cisco about what the chassis can handle and what each card can handle.

Need more details like what exact version it is (3620, 3640, 3660), what IOS version, and how much RAM it has. Here's a guideline from Cisco about what the chassis can handle and what each card can handle.

It looks like the 3660. Not sure on the RAM or IOS version. I don't think anyone has ever consoled into it, or knows the password to get into it.

It looks like the 3660. Not sure on the RAM or IOS version. I don't think anyone has ever consoled into it, or knows the password to get into it.

Sounds like you get to reset the password via console during your next maintenance window.

Place a monitor port and wireshark as far to the edge of your network as you can.

Capture and analyze some packets to help determine the issues.

You likely need a router with more balls. Any money in the budget?

Place a monitor port and wireshark as far to the edge of your network as you can.

Capture and analyze some packets to help determine the issues.

You likely need a router with more balls. Any money in the budget?

We're actually in the process of updating the network and changing it from a single flat network (class A IP block), to a segmented network with VLANs. Most of the switches are either unmanaged or too old to manage. So we're slowly trying to redesign everything.

As for the budget, its fairly small. I was looking at the Mikrotik Cloud Core Router CCR1016-12G for about $600. They probably wouldn't want to do more than $800 - $1000.

As for the budget, its fairly small. I was looking at the Mikrotik Cloud Core Router CCR1016-12G for about $600. They probably wouldn't want to do more than $800 - $1000.

I have nothing against Mikrotik since I've never used it, but a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro about be in the $360-400 range. Not as many gigabit ports, but it does have 2 SFP ports. UBNT is known for good products.

I have nothing against Mikrotik since I've never used it, but a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro about be in the $360-400 range. Not as many gigabit ports, but it does have 2 SFP ports. UBNT is known for good products.

I use the ER-Lites everywhere, but I don't know if the GUI is mature enough for this sort of application yet.

I use the ER-Lites everywhere, but I don't know if the GUI is mature enough for this sort of application yet.

Vs the GUI on that Cisco? Oh wait... it has even less configurable items in the GUI. Embrace the CLI. Love the CLI!

Vs the GUI on that Cisco? Oh wait... it has even less configurable items in the GUI. Embrace the CLI. Love the CLI!

Vs. the GUI on the Mikrotiks. I have embraced the CLI, but they havn't hired me yet, so this needs to be something they can easily understand. They are capable, just understaffed.

I have been leaning towards the Mikrotiks since I am overhauling a WISP, and I really like the rate limiting and WISP-centric features of the CCRs. Has anyone used an EdgeRouter in this sort of situation(BGP, multiple public IP blocks, etc.)?

Edit: After looking through the docs some more (and looking at the price of the ER-8 vs CCR), i'm starting to like the EdgeRouter more and more.

Last edited:
Vs. the GUI on the Mikrotiks. I have embraced the CLI, but they havn't hired me yet, so this needs to be something they can easily understand. They are capable, just understaffed.

I have been leaning towards the Mikrotiks since I am overhauling a WISP, and I really like the rate limiting and WISP-centric features of the CCRs. Has anyone used an EdgeRouter in this sort of situation(BGP, multiple public IP blocks, etc.)?

Edit: After looking through the docs some more (and looking at the price of the ER-8 vs CCR), i'm starting to like the EdgeRouter more and more.

Look through some of the stories here, they are specifically from people who are doing WISP, BGP, and multiple IP blocks. You would have to add specific questions on the forum or read previous posts, but yes they can do BGP, multiple public blocks, etc.

Look through some of the stories here, they are specifically from people who are doing WISP, BGP, and multiple IP blocks. You would have to add specific questions on the forum or read previous posts, but yes they can do BGP, multiple public blocks, etc.

Yeah, I made an impulse purchase last night..... I'll use it as the core for my WISP setup, and then get one for the school if everything seems well.

Back