I hava a stupid question about ECC RAM

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
Is Dell/HP server RAM only for Dell or HP servers or is it compatible with Supermicro servers as well.

This ECC RAM on ebay is stated to be compatible with many defferent Dell/HP models. There is no information on if this is general purpose RAM. I know this might sound like a dumb question but considering how these companies like to make things proprietary like HP with their ink cartridges, I figured I would just ask before spending any money.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yes it possibly proprietary. with server boards stick to the qvl list.

I've run various hp branded sticks in both Dell and Lenovo Workstations without issue. They were Samsung and micron sticks and seemed identical to non hp counterparts and it was cheaper than non branded stuff.

So looking at the QVL for Supermicro, there is a column that says "# of Ranks" but does not say what this means. Also, will RAM that is very close to the stated compatible models work just fine? Like I found a model of Samsung RAM that starts with the same "M393B5170" that another model on the QVL starts with but the last three characters are different.

Back