I hate the lack of ergonamic keyboards

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ullyeus, Jan 17, 2004.

1. ullyeus

ullyeus [H]ardness Supreme

well...my ergonamic keyboard just died last night...

wont type or nothing...have no idea whats wrong.

So im looking around for a new one and have to say.....there is NO selection on these things.

stupid.

/rant

2. afirawker

afirawker [H]ard|Gawd

MS natural keyboards are pretty good and not too expensive, BB shoudl have them

3. Doubl3KiLL

Doubl3KiLL 2[H]4U

Ive never really liked ergo keyboards.... I suppose its because Ive never used anything other than a "normal" keyboard. They make my arms hurt.

4. ullyeus

that was the one that died on me. I also find it sucked for gaming as often when I was holding down W (forward) it would just stop and id have to re-click it.

I thought I was isolated in this occurence until I noticed some other people on here mention it.

5. Wixard

Wixard 2[H]4U

you could impress your friends and co workers with one of those foldable ones..

Personally i hate ergonomic keyboards but thats just me.

6. afirawker

afirawker [H]ard|Gawd

Ive had mine for 3 years and still works and havnt noticed any sort of lagg while using it

7. inzane123

inzane123 Limp Gawd

Logitech makes a nice wireless combo... Only problem is that you will mostlikely have to order it online as I wasnt able to find it here in the local stores. I use mine strictly for work however, so I can not attest to how it games... Microsoft also makes a decent looking one, however they want over a 100 bucks for it compared to logitechs 70.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-126-121&catalog=63&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

8. rayman2k2

rayman2k2 [H]ardness Supreme

are ergos really that good? i mean seriously, if its good enough for ullyeus its good enough for anyone, but still, how hard is it to go from straight keyboard to ergo?

9. Nybbles

Nybbles [H]ard|Gawd

I always swore to myself that I would NEVER buy an ergo keyboard. Years ago, a gf had one and I HATED it.

Then I got an admin job and was on the computer for 8 hours straight at work, then more when I got home. I'm only in my early 20's, but I started to get pain in my hand, mostly my right hand. I went and shelled out $50 for a Microsoft Natural Keyboad and after using it a wihle, the pain in my hands had mostly gone away.

Then I found a local computer store that sell the exact keyboard for $25, so I picked up one for my home computer and one for my dad.

If you take away ur straight computer and use an ergo one all day, you fumble a little the first couple days but you will get used to it very quicky.

In fact, I'm at my gf's house right now and I'm funmbling a little on her straight keyboard and it's not as comfortable. Looks like I'm off to the store to spend another $25. ;)

10. CMB

CMB [H]Lite

I have had an ergo keyboard for 5 years now and I hate useing standard keyboards. I have to use my regular Dell keyboard at work and my wrists hurt after typing for hours on it. I wish I could find this keyboard in black. Everything else on my computer is black except for my keyboard. I don't like that Logitech one either. It feels cheap and not as nice as my Microsoft.

11. jamezzz122

jamezzz122 [H]ardness Supreme

I hate them too...I can't get used to them so I just stick to the standard...

12. jomiwic

jomiwic Gawd

From the bottom of that little bone sticking out at the base of my wrist, the one across from my thumb, to the tip of my middle finger is 8½ inches. For me ergo keyboards are definately the way to go as my hands tend to need to be bunched up in a claw form to use regular keyboards. It just seems to me ergo keyboards let your hands stretch out a little more, so for me they a hell of a lot better.

as for the dead keyboard, I'd stick it into a dishwasher, or pull it apart and clean its parts by hand, let it dry, and try it again.

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/evol_desk.htm

13. phasmatis_nox

phasmatis_nox [H]ard|Gawd

Ergonomic keyboards are the shiznit. I love mine. It's just the standard issue microsoft dealie. Got it at newegg for $17.

14. ZeroS

ZeroS [H]Lite

I've never liked the ergo board either, I can't type as effcient as on a regular keyboard.

And I do type for hours on end, and my wrists never hurt.

15. Zardoz

Zardoz 2[H]4U

man no ergo love here, I hate them too... Give me that good old basic keyboard layout!

16. SirRuka

SirRuka Limp Gawd

Not currently in stock, but this is what you want. I haven't seen the wired one in black, but wires suck anyway.

17. SimGuy

SimGuy Limp Gawd

I swear by natural keyboards. I use one at school. At work. At home.

Yes, it takes a little time to get used to working with the natural keyboards, but once you've gotten used to it, its' the most comfortable keyboard you can use for long periods of time without ever feeling joint pain.

IMHO, I can't stand the new MS Natural keyboards available. They changed the layout of the Insert/Home/Delete/End/Pg Up/Pg Dn keys, making them practically useless for gaming for anyone who uses the arrow keys to game (IE: me).

Best one MS ever made is the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (the one on the left). The Natural Keyboard Elite (on the right) is damned hard to game with, as they re-arranged the layout of the arrow keys, making it nearly impossible for anyone with large hands to use them.

Usually, you can find both of these available for dirt-cheap on E-Bay.

[​IMG]

18. kronchev

kronchev [H]ardForum Junkie

how the HELL can you use those things? theyre the most uncomfortable things ever

19. ’m‚³‚ñ

’m‚³‚ñ [H]ardness Supreme

I used my ex gf's ergo for 2 days and got nasty joint pain in both of my wrists. I use normal striaght keyboards at home (I have 3 right now, only use two). I use my keyboards for hours at a time with perfect posture and NEVER get joint pain, even if I use them 18-20 hours a day. I even have a keyboard that has no wrist rest on it, it's on my desk drawer. :p It took a while to get used to typing on it at that angle, but it works. ;)

I use a Logitech Internet keyboard, it works great and the scroll wheel works more often than my mouse's scroll wheel (stupid POS microsoft explorer mouse, the cutouts in the right and left buttons is just too thin for the actual wheel at some points, so it gets stuck).

20. retardedchicken

retardedchicken 2[H]4U

i wouldnt be able to use those things very well, mainly because i am a sloppy typer and do reaches that a normal typer dont do:D, but thats just me

21. joblo37pam

joblo37pam [H]ard|Gawd

It depends on your setup, here at home, I have a straight keyboard and it works fine for because it's at the corner joint of my L shaped desk, at work, I use an ergo on my regular desk, and it's really comfortable.

22. kronchev

ive tried to use them in both places and it just doesnt work. i just cant type as fast on those and use it as quickly as I can use a straight one. hell, if I cant type one-handed on it (sometimes taking my hand off the mouse is too much effort :D) then its not worth it.

23. ullyeus

buwaha

;)

ill prbabl o strate as this nbard keyoard ss !1!

24. CMB

CMB [H]Lite

Yeah I have looked at that one before. It is the newer style MS keyboard and I don't like it as much as mine. I have the one pictured on the right in SimGuy's pic. I can type fast as hell with it and my hands fit it just right. SimGuy is holding the best two keyboards ever made. :)

I can game just fine on it. Most of the games I play use AWSD for movement keys or I just use my controller. After 5 years with this keyboard I am quite used to it.

25. CleanSlate

CleanSlate [H]ardness Supreme

I swear by both wasd and the ergos... it's uncomfortable for like a week, but it really is good shit. After that week it just feels natural, if you look at a keyboard (regular) after using an ergo for a while it's like "wtf were they thinking making it straight? Your hands dont lay straight, they are slanted... duh".

~Adam

26. Greyryder

Greyryder Limp Gawd

Man I hate ergos. They put your wrists at a funky angle, unless you type with your elbows sticking out, like you're trying to fly.

27. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

I have three of the MS Natural Elites, too bad one of them is broke beyond repair. I have one on my system at home and I have the other one at work.

I started using a MS Natural Elite over five years ago and have never looked back. Well, one time I looked back. That was the first time I used it. I was drunk when I got home with it and plugged it in to see how it would do. Very quickly I changed back to my old, straight keyboard until I sobered up the next day. Whatever you do, never use a Natural keyboard for the first time if you are drunk. It will mess with you.

I've used straight keyboards at work before and quickly had to bring a Natural keyboard from home very soon. My hands would start hurting within 2 hours of being at work. And with anywhere from 6 to 9 more hours of that pain every day was more than I was going to mess with.

I'll stick to my Natural keyboards. I have enough problems with stuff like arthritis as it is. I don't need any more pain than what I already have on a regular basis.

28. Rombus

Rombus 2[H]4U

My first REAL uptodate computer (a p90, back when AOL was still had perhour pricing) came with a natural keyboard. the first MS natural one. Ive used them ever since, Current Fav: Logitech Nautral Black wireless! got a "Refurbed" one of ebay for 40 and have never looked back. Unfortunitally Ergo/naturals are a dying breed. I think soon ill have to go to straight, i cant dish out +$500 for some ove those realliy funky ergo designs.

It really comes down to a matter of choice and what you have used.

29. kronchev

exactly.

stick your arms out, where do your wrists go? FORWARD

30. FiZ

FiZ [H]ard|Gawd

I hate these fucking things. There is no way I am going to sit at a computer for an extended period of gaming, etc. and hold my arms up at angles like that. First of all I probably look like a jackass, and second holding my arms in that position just isn't natural.

Also, if you cant find one make one.

31. they need to release more keyboards like this:

[​IMG]

I swear, that's the best keyboard extra ever...if they could do that with the Logitech Elites, it'd be so fucking sweet.

(yeah, I'm a sucker for trackpoint; using it now on my laptop)

32. kronchev

Hell yes. IBM keyboards are pretty good as they are (have one here at home and have one at work), but if they had the nipple, theyd be the best.

PS - Isnt that the free dell system you got?

33. phasmatis_nox

phasmatis_nox [H]ard|Gawd

When my brother got an IBM laptop with the red nipple, I thought it was awesome. Then I used it for an hour or two... I wanted to bust out the pliers and hurt something, namely the nipple. Stupid nipple. I hate the nipple.

34. ’m‚³‚ñ

’m‚³‚ñ [H]ardness Supreme

lmao That's a very strange statement. :p

Has there ever been a laptop with an ergo keyboard?

35. TheAcorn

TheAcorn Gawd

I use a MS Natural at work, and a MS Multimedia at home...

Mostly because I can't find a black/grey MS Natural Multimedia (though, I know they make them) from a place that I'll order from.

Too bad the Egg doesn't have them. ZipZoomFly doesn't either... But there is a black/grey corded MS Natural Multimedia keyboard, it does exist.

36. mr.dearthian

mr.dearthian Limp Gawd

I think the biggest thing about keyboards is what you use them for and how you type. Folks who type with the 'hunt-and-peck' method tend to do much better with a standard keyboard. Folks who 'touch-type' can do well with either (though many prefer ergo's). I touch type and, especially when I do extended stretches of typing, prefer ergo boards. My wrists don't hurt and I actually type a hell of a lot faster (don't know why, but I do). I can't do exteded typing stints on a traditional board.

I admit it was HELL when I tried to play games when I first got it, but I got used to it. The only game that the ergo board didn't work very well was the Mechwarrior series. There are so many keyboard controls that it was a pain in the ass. But overall, I like ergo boards (mine is a MS Natural Pro).

I wish Logitech made a wireless one bundled with the MX700 (they make a wireless one, but bundle the cheaper wireless mouse that doesn't have the recharging abilities). I don't know if they offer this one not bundled with the cheaper mouse. Anybody know?

Mr.Dearthian

37. EnderW

EnderW [H]ardForum Junkie

Like this ?