I Hate Steam

Actually, I would prefer hard copies of everything. Steam gradually engulfs any hard copy I buy anyway, but at least I get to skip the whole downloading routine...so I have hard copies of Episode 1 and HL2, and HL1, and...well, pretty much game before Episode 1. Not that I actually get to skip downloading everything, as I remember even immediately after I loaded HL2 on my computer I couldn't play for a solid 8 hours from downloading updates / decrypting. They tempted me with TF2, though, so I pre-loaded it overnight one night. My connection isn't slow, per se, but it isn't blindingly fast. I top out at about 165k/sec, and when I'm downloading at that speed, I basically can't do anything else on the computer, at least not anything internet-y.

So yeah, it's a bit frustrating to have spent the 6 hours pre-loading, expecting to have the game ready to go one night when I'm bored, only to find that my chakras weren't aligned properly when I pre-loaded, thereby necessitating a re-alignment of my dojgras and redownloading the entire fucking thing. Or something.
not to mention the disk space it takes... I bought and installed Dark Messiah, played single player then wanted to play some MP and steam started downloading like 8gb of crap I said fcuk it.

I hate STEAM too...I live in a rural area and am stuck on dial-up. It took thirteen hours on dial-up to download and decrypt the 130MB of STEAM files so I could play the copies of HL2 EP2 and Portal I installed off the DVD. :mad:

I hate STEAM too...I live in a rural area and am stuck on dial-up. It took thirteen hours on dial-up to download and decrypt the 130MB of STEAM files so I could play the copies of HL2 EP2 and Portal I installed off the DVD. :mad:

I really hope that was sarcasm. dialup...

Steam would truly suck for someone on dial up.. Of course it is not Steam's fault that North America is so far behind most of Europe and Asia when it comes to broadband.. Hell, my "broadband" ain't all that broad.. 3mb down and 512kb up.. And, I have never experience a fraction of even that..

I'm not entirely satisfied. I just installed the Orange Box from DVD and now steam says my Day of Defeat source is License Expired.

Plus the damned server browser is screwy and I've tried various fixes which still haven't stopped it from doing whatever the hell it wants.

To their credit though their download servers are very quick making the online game purchases pleasant.

This is why it is commonly called "steaming pile of shit". I had MAD trouble with HL2 Ep:2 AND Portal. I had to reinstall gfx drivers, directX, turn on paging file (I use 4Gb of ram so don't use one normally) AND force the games to start nearly every time at 1024 x 768 :mad:

Back