I Hate Steam

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright, so I pre-purchased The Orange Box about 2 weeks ago, because I figured it was a good enough deal - I liked Episode 1, I was interested in TF2 and Portal sounded cool. So I jumped in on the TF2 beta when it opened up, I pre-loaded Portal when I could, and I pre-loaded Episode Two when that began the next day, as well. Simple overnight download, got to 100% and said it would be available when the game was released. Proceeded to kill the next week with work and TF2.

The first thing I did was play Portal - I heard it was only around 2 hours or so, so it would be a nice, quick puzzler to play and keep in mind in case there were any plot tie-ins to Episode Two that I would have otherwise forgotten about and missed. Once I finished that, decided to load up Episode Two and play it through. When I was in the game, I noticed something odd about it...it seemed completely empty, like the parts of Half-Life 1 where you're completely alone and trapped in some random underground maze and there is absolutely no ambient sound playing. I mean, there are ambient sounds, like the water splashing around the train when I walk through it, and the gravity gun hitting stuff, but Alyx seems...mute. I play through a bit before I notice what's wrong - none of Alyx's dialog has loaded, and I'm playing the game with a mute Alyx.

I closed Steam, then restarted it to see if this would fix the problem. When it came back up, instead of the "Launch Game" option next to Episode Two, I see "85% Downloaded." Hm, odd, I've lost 15% of what I downloaded a week and a half ago. I let this re-download everything. It takes 2 days to actually do this, because it will go a maximum of 60k/sec the entire time and very often will just stop downloading altogether. Once this is done, I try launching Episode Two again. It gets to the loading screen. I wait 2 minutes. It never loads.

I look in my Task Manager and see that, while hl2.exe is using 300 megs of RAM, it's using 00% of CPU. Odd. So, I kill the process, go back to Steam and validate the game cache file for Episode Two. It gets to 100% and informs me that everything is okie-dokie. I go back into Episode Two, but the game still pulls its perpetual loading trick. I close Steam and restart it. This is about 10 minutes ago, because it's Friday night and all of my friends are doing other things, so I figure I can beat the game tonight for lack of anything better to do.

When Steam comes back up, the game is at ZERO FUCKING PERCENT. I have to re-download the ENTIRE FUCKING THING for NO FUCKING REASON. What happened to the days where I could fucking install a game, and play it, without having to walk around 20 different fucking obstacles and updates and patches and glitches and too-late fixes? Fucking Steam.

I've run into similar problems before with CSS and HL2 where my installations magically disappeared. Both instances were fixed by simply shutting down Steam and booting it up again.

I %#$ING HATE STEAM.

Please do not SHOUT or use implied swearing in thread titles.

when games update the update starts at 0%

chances are your not downloading the entire thing again

also to get better speeds close steam, delete the clientregistry.blob in the steam folder and open steam, you'll connect to a different content server most likely.

I did the same. I got to room 17/19 in Portal before I realised there was a total absence of this 'crazed AI' that I had heard so much about in the pre-release hype.

Then they go and release a steam update that fixes lots of programs missing audio files for localised regions of games.

Portal is a zillion times better with that voice. In fact I'd say that it's pointless playing without it. I would definitely go back and replay it, like I did. She is just hysterical and it also helps to know what the hell is going on.

Was worth the drama though, just to have TF2 a few weeks early.

when games update the update starts at 0%

chances are your not downloading the entire thing again

also to get better speeds close steam, delete the clientregistry.blob in the steam folder and open steam, you'll connect to a different content server most likely.
um no it doesnt always start at 0% for updates

Never once had any problems with steam, or any game played from it.

Sucks to be you, and this thread is pretty pointless.

I have started Steam plenty of times and have seen updating start at random percentages. :confused:

My guess is that it appears random depending upon the size of the update/download. Larger and slower downloads are going to start at 0%, while smaller/quicker updates may start at something like 45% after they've already begun downloading the first bytes already.

You got that right; never had a problem.

Steam is the best thing to have happened to online, multiplayer gaming; the least hastle and most options.

You know, i've had a few problems with steam, but at the end of the day, I think it is amazing. I can buy games without going to the store and never have to worry about loosing a cd key or damanging a disk. If I do have a hard copy to install off of great, but I still don't have to loose sleep over babying disks because I won't need them again if something happens to them. Likewise, thanks to steam, I don't need the disks to play. Nevermind the fact that using steam as a launcher for other games rocks, as does steam community. Truth be told, I think its one of the single greatest creations for PC. No, it ain't perfect, and I would not expect it to be, but for the most part it runs problem free. Sorry to hear about your problems, but it won't stop me from using Steam.

TF2, Ep2, and Portal all started at about 79% when I preloaded them. That is because the download size includes the Source engine libraries and shared content packages. If you already have those, like if you have Half-Life 2 and/or Episode 1 installed, it will not need to download them and instead will only download only what is relevant to the game package being installed, as well as any applicable updates to the source engine or shared packages.

And Finalgt: perhaps you should have just purchased the retail orange box at your favorite B&M store. That would have solved basically every problem you had. Though I do understand the desire to play TF2 may have temporarily occluded other sensibilities.

don't blame the kid, its happend to everybody and apparently your one of the lucky few if you never had a problem. Steam is still buggy as shit, but the only way for us to play games like counter strike and day of defeat so we have to concede

People who've never had a problem with steam are in the vast minority, and posting "it's ok for me!!!!OMG u SUckK u nnube! ! !!!" isn't really of interest. The fact is it's been going since March 2002, and they still can't get the fucking server browser to stop minimising the bastard columns each time it's started.
Each time it's updated it causes a massive ache in the bollocks for 90% of users, but they're dismissed because "it sucks to be them, n ive never had a probelem ok yeah ok".

One more for the "I think Steam is a gluttonous bloated sack of shit that's caused more arseache than it's saved" column.

Throw your PC in the trash and buy a Wii, you can't handle a PC.
Welcome to my ignore list.

Finally got it to start playing this morning, I'm near the end, I'm pretty sure. There were a couple of really amazing, cinematic moments...which were interrupted by loading screens. It was unfortunate, but still pretty cool.

People who've never had a problem with steam are in the vast minority, and posting "it's ok for me!!!!OMG u SUckK u nnube! ! !!!" isn't really of interest. The fact is it's been going since March 2002, and they still can't get the fucking server browser to stop minimising the bastard columns each time it's started.
Each time it's updated it causes a massive ache in the bollocks for 90% of users, but they're dismissed because "it sucks to be them, n ive never had a probelem ok yeah ok".

One more for the "I think Steam is a gluttonous bloated sack of shit that's caused more arseache than it's saved" column.

Obviously, your assertion is incorrect.. Looks like there are far more satisfied users than dissatisfied ones like yourself.. If you disagree, look through all the previous "Steam Sucks" threads.. You will read that the majority of posters have had few issues with it, myself among them.
Have a pleasant day hating steam.. :D

Yes, in the beginning there was steam, and it sucked... badly.

This is not that time anymore, the vast MAJORITY does not have problems, shit happens all the time, with any program you use/buy. Shit is going to happen, roll with it.

I thought with the vast amount of buggy/incompatible programs over the years people would finally be used to the fact it's impossible to make a perfect program for all types of hardware/configurations people have.

Report the problem, fix it, move on.

Obviously, your assertion is incorrect.. Looks like there are far more satisfied users than dissatisfied ones like yourself.. If you disagree, look through all the previous "Steam Sucks" threads.. You will read that the majority of posters have had few issues with it, myself among them.
Have a pleasant day hating steam.. :D

Yep. Definitive proof that the majority of Steam users suffer no problems at all.

Posts on a messageboard. Fact, not conjecture.

I see your point.

Is my sarcasm coming through strongly enough here, or, as I suspect, are you the sort of person that would benefit from me spelling it out?

jus the fact that i dont have to stick in a cd to play a game makes steam great

add in the fact you can see friends on it and all that other cool stuff (chat, voice chat, game logs) makes steam amazing.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Finally got it to start playing this morning, I'm near the end, I'm pretty sure. There were a couple of really amazing, cinematic moments...which were interrupted by loading screens. It was unfortunate, but still pretty cool.

OMG, not the dreaded finalgt ignore list. :rolleyes:

Yep. Definitive proof that the majority of Steam users suffer no problems at all.

Posts on a messageboard. Fact, not conjecture.

I see your point.

Is my sarcasm coming through strongly enough here, or, as I suspect, are you the sort of person that would benefit from me spelling it out?

Is the drivel spouting from your keyboard and splashing across this message board any more definitive? I think not.

Perhaps you should spell it out, you are not as clear nor clever as you are trying to make yourself out to be..

Whatever sort I may be, is hardly a concern of the sorts of you.

Hold whatever opinions you wish. But, it is painfully obvious that Steam has more satisfied customers than not. Other wise they would have already gone under.

Is the drivel spouting from your keyboard and splashing across this message board any more definitive? I think not.

Perhaps you should spell it out, you are not as clear nor clever as you are trying to make yourself out to be..

Whatever sort I may be, is hardly a concern of the sorts of you.

Hold whatever opinions you wish. But, it is painfully obvious that Steam has more satisfied customers than not. Other wise they would have already gone under.

Really, what are you talking about? "But, it is painfully obvious that Steam has more satisfied customers than not. Other wise they would have already gone under" - of the millions of people that use it, if even 10% were satisfied, that would be enough to keep it "afloat". That said, it's a glorified server browser and auto-updater - there's nothing to "go under". Steam isn't a company.

As far as the "clever as you're trying to make yourself out to be" comment goes, it's utterly undermined by the entirety of your post. Awful, awful.

I'm usually pretty happy with Steam but ever since the Steam Community update the bugs are popping up everywhere.
Starting with bugs for updates, wrong percentages being displayed, never ending super slow downloads (took me two days to download the Biosock 20mb update), pops in and out of games due to Community bugs....
And the list keeps growing. If steam don't get their acts together I might just go down another path next game.

I guess I can't complain too much, try using steam for about 2 years on 26kbps dial up, but now I have dsl and I don't think it's that bad.

Really, what are you talking about? "But, it is painfully obvious that Steam has more satisfied customers than not. Other wise they would have already gone under" - of the millions of people that use it, if even 10% were satisfied, that would be enough to keep it "afloat". That said, it's a glorified server browser and auto-updater - there's nothing to "go under". Steam isn't a company.

As far as the "clever as you're trying to make yourself out to be" comment goes, it's utterly undermined by the entirety of your post. Awful, awful.

I couldn't convince you that diamonds are hard, so I won't bother.. Awful, awful, yes, it sure is..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231052 The vast majority of [H] users do not seem to have an issue with it..But, I'm sure you will not be convinced, so I give up.. Enjoy your beliefs..

What I don't get is why people come into a thread to say "it works for me, therefore this thread is pointless." Not only are you wasting everyone else's time, you're wasting your own as well...then bitching that someone else made you waste that time.

People want to sit arount he house naked and never leave to actually go anywhere to buy anything, then they want to complain that the download takes a long time. hehe....
Another option is buying through Ebay or Amazon or where ever and they'll deliver it to your door.
Ok so... Why I Don't Like Steam:
Every time I start steam, it's gotta download updates. While this is not a bad thing in that it ensures your games always have the latest updates, etc, I'm convinced that about 90 percent of the "updates" are all the ads it downloads.
I play CS:S once in awhile and each time I feel like playing it, after about 20 minutes of downloading updates, I usually lose interest.
Just a couple of days ago, I was playing CS:S for a couple hours, and then I quit. About an hour later, I go to play some more, and it spent another 10 minutes downloading updates. Whuduhell?

Actually, I would prefer hard copies of everything. Steam gradually engulfs any hard copy I buy anyway, but at least I get to skip the whole downloading routine...so I have hard copies of Episode 1 and HL2, and HL1, and...well, pretty much game before Episode 1. Not that I actually get to skip downloading everything, as I remember even immediately after I loaded HL2 on my computer I couldn't play for a solid 8 hours from downloading updates / decrypting. They tempted me with TF2, though, so I pre-loaded it overnight one night. My connection isn't slow, per se, but it isn't blindingly fast. I top out at about 165k/sec, and when I'm downloading at that speed, I basically can't do anything else on the computer, at least not anything internet-y.

So yeah, it's a bit frustrating to have spent the 6 hours pre-loading, expecting to have the game ready to go one night when I'm bored, only to find that my chakras weren't aligned properly when I pre-loaded, thereby necessitating a re-alignment of my dojgras and redownloading the entire fucking thing. Or something.

People want to sit arount he house naked and never leave to actually go anywhere to buy anything, then they want to complain that the download takes a long time. hehe....
Another option is buying through Ebay or Amazon or where ever and they'll deliver it to your door.
Ok so... Why I Don't Like Steam:
Every time I start steam, it's gotta download updates. While this is not a bad thing in that it ensures your games always have the latest updates, etc, I'm convinced that about 90 percent of the "updates" are all the ads it downloads.
I play CS:S once in awhile and each time I feel like playing it, after about 20 minutes of downloading updates, I usually lose interest.
Just a couple of days ago, I was playing CS:S for a couple hours, and then I quit. About an hour later, I go to play some more, and it spent another 10 minutes downloading updates. Whuduhell?

Before Portal I only used Steam about once a month. Every time i used Steam either downloads where stuck at 26% or another instance of Steam is already started. There are many workarounds for these problems, sometimes rename Steam, sometimes run a batch file to clear up spyware. Uninstalling and reinstalling steam is usually the best idea.

Just recently i had the same problem and i used the batch file to fix it. After it errored-out I peeked inside batch file to see what it was actually doing, and I didn't see any of the services or registry start up keys that it was supposedly deleting.

This only seems to happen when I don't use steam for a long time. All in all, I don't hate it and I'm much more happy that they fixed Source.

The whole point of steam is to sit around your house naked, it makes so much sense.

In general, I like Steam but I can see how it could be frustrating when something goes wrong. When it first came out, it was really buggy. It is better now but I still see bugs sometimes.

Back