I had finally decided to go 4790k until...

With dx12 the possibility of even longer life CPUs becomes more plausible.

i just dont see upgrading to a hex or octo core if you are into just gaming right now. Maybe in 2 years and by then the video cards , mobos ,ra, processors will be much faster anyway

I appreciate all the responses here, its awesome this thread is still going. Its nice to get opinions from every side and I think this thread will help many in the same boat. I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning towards the 4790k atm. Pretty much everything has been answered from most every angle.

I guess I should have originally asked it this way: 'I was considering a nice 4790k(with Maximus VII Hero/fast ram) build, but if I'm willing to go with an MSI X99S SLI Plus+the most affordable ram for a 5820k rig would it be worth moving to 2011v3 since the price gap closes?'(there were some great package prices at the time) I was wondering that firstly. Of course there is the fact that I could go with less expensive ram and mobo for the 4790k build. That is another part of the equation for sure and has been most appreciatively discussed here as well and is something I'm mulling over. Again, covering all the angles.

This is why I keep coming back after all these years, its you guys and all your feedback and knowledge.

Honestly I only have a 4790K because I got it so cheap, I still am very interested in selling it and going broadwell if it turns out to be decent.. You may just pick up a good G3258, sell the 4790K you get and hold the cash until the new chips come.

The 5820k is still a bit of a mystery to me though when it comes to ram, does it need to have 4 sticks, are two fine to start, its hard to find definitive answers.
Intel memory controllers are generally very good at using whatever you give them. Picking a random X99 motherboard manual indicates that this is still the case.

Clearly using only two channels rather than four will cut your memory bandwidth in half. Will that be significant to overall performance in most applications? I personally dount it but I can't seem to find any good benchmarks to confirm that.

So Broadwell is coming out first, then a couple of months later Skylake. But the first Skylake cpu's will be Skylake-S and will be multiplier locked (might want to wait on those until the unlocked ones follow).. Then after Skylake supposedly Braswell.

I think I am going to skip Broadwell since Skylake is the tock in Intels releases and will be out in a couple of months after Broadwell, supposedly.

Owning a cpu in the last few years has made very little difference. Basically if you have an i5 2500k or newer you won't really see much of a difference from one to the next if you are around 4Ghz. Using a locked CPU is a bit different but not going to be that noticeable unless you game like 90% of the time that you are sitting at your computer which I doubt. I sold my i5 2500k, sold my i5 4670k, now have a i7 4770K. I'd take the 4770k over all of them but do I see much difference? Honestly no. Moral of the story to anyone looking at a new CPU don't stress out too much cause we're living in PC purgatory where your GPU makes a bigger difference than pretty much anything else. I think that's pretty much has held true since 2010.

If someone is going from a 2500k at 4ghz with 1333 or 1600 mhz memory and pci x 2.0 you most definitely will see a boost moving to the newest platforms. (although that boost can be very small to pretty nice depending on the situation)

Intel IPC improvements over two generations in games has added 6-15% performance (depending on the game)

moving to 2133 or 2400 and low latency sticks has added 0-20% (again depending on game)

pci express 3.0 has added 0-15% (depending on cards used and game)

So if someone is moving to haswell from said 2500k system they are looking at a possible 6% to 35% increase in performance clock for clock in cpu limited situations. Overclocking to 4.8 will put it at 26% to 55% possible increase in cpu limited situations. On average clock for clock I would say 15% increase in performance with the much higher mem speeds would be the most common scenario.

pci express 3.0 gives roughly 3% increase over 2.0 with high end single card although there is a few games that get around 7 or 8% increase. When going SLI or crossfire with that can be doubled to around 5 or 6% on average up to 15% in some games.

IMO people fall into the "more is better" trap far too often. People forget that majority of bottlenecks come from software, and not hardware. There are barely enough software programs/games that take advantage of 2 cores, let alone 4, so on and so forth. Anything more than 4 cores makes absolutely no sense unless you need encoding/video editing/etc related activities.

My 4790k is overclocked to 4.8 under 1.3v, cant beat its performance and price. Its also running on a Z87 Maximus Extreme VI.
DDR4 is a complete waste. Money spent on a DDR4 system is never going to pay off if you do a cost/benefit analysis.
Cant beat a 4790k setup.

DDR4 2X4GB is currently ~84, so it's pretty decent. I remember 2X2GB DDR3 in 2010 cost 100.

Personally I would only go with LGA1150 for either

ITX build or
tight budget therefore go with i5 or
crazy overclock aiming for 4.6+GHz 24/7 or
upgrade mobo/CPU every year

For anything else I don't see the reason to go with 4790k instead of 5820k. 12 thread 28-PCIE vs 8 thread 16-PCIE will make a difference in photo/video editing and future gaming. If you happen to do lots of heavy multi-tasking, 5820K will handles that much better and runs cooler. As for motherboard, even X99 sli plus has m2, NVMe support, and decent VRM. For a little more, you can get the better ASUS board. I personally think $250 X99 mobo just worth a lot more than a $250 Z97 mobo.

Personally I would only go with LGA1150 for either

ITX build or
tight budget therefore go with i5 or
crazy overclock aiming for 4.6+GHz 24/7 or
upgrade mobo/CPU every year

For anything else I don't see the reason to go with 4790k instead of 5820k. 12 thread 28-PCIE vs 8 thread 16-PCIE will make a difference in photo/video editing and future gaming. If you happen to do lots of heavy multi-tasking, 5820K will handles that much better and runs cooler. As for motherboard, even X99 sli plus has m2, NVMe support, and decent VRM. For a little more, you can get the better ASUS board. I personally think $250 X99 mobo just worth a lot more than a $250 Z97 mobo.

I haven't noticed any slowdown or felt held back in the slightest by my Haswell i5. I don't even feel an itch to overclock it even though I easily can, since it's already so bloody damned fast.

I wasn't constrained by budget but spending more than that seems absurd to me unless i'm trying to build a super computer or farm.

Back