I had buyers remourse. Cancelled my MBP 14" order :(

The answer is "yes and no." If there's a native app that makes good use of the GPU, you will see the M1 Max compete well against an RTX 3080. The problem, of course, is that some apps still aren't native (particularly games), and others just don't do much with the GPU.
thats what is holding me back from upgrading my m1 macbook pro 13, all that awesome new tech and GPU power and other than final cut and WoW there is like nothing to use the gpu power on...Apple needs to pick up a couple AAA devs to get some AAA titles into arm based macs

thats what is holding me back from upgrading my m1 macbook pro 13, all that awesome new tech and GPU power and other than final cut and WoW there is like nothing to use the gpu power on...Apple needs to pick up a couple AAA devs to get some AAA titles into arm based macs
Not counting on AAA developers, but also... you have an M1 MacBook Pro! You're sitting pretty unless you really need the extra performance or the 16-inch model.

Not counting on AAA developers, but also... you have an M1 MacBook Pro! You're sitting pretty unless you really need the extra performance or the 16-inch model.
everyone likes more speed, id be in more for the bigger/better screen just be nice to be able to have a game selection to use on it

And ordered the 16" instead !!!

I didn't realize th 16" was only $200 more. I had to correct this mistake !!!

A warning though: After the increase in Taxes and AppleCare (There is a $121 price increase to $399 for the 16" for some reason. 2" of screen can't cause all of that) the actual total increases by $500 to $3900.

View attachment 404811
When I was doing a model comparison for figuring out what would work best for my job I couldn’t see any difference between the 14” and 16” except for the extra 2” of screen real estate and the beefier power adapter. Considering that I almost always connect to a display (my wife’s 49” TV) the extra inches didn’t make sense to spend for. (I sprang for the M1 Pro Max 10-core CPU / 32-core GPU 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD configuration.) If I spent more time with the bare laptop the 16” would have been my pick.

Now I just need to wait until my company’s IT department gets around to supporting the M1 chips…

When I was doing a model comparison for figuring out what would work best for my job I couldn’t see any difference between the 14” and 16” except for the extra 2” of screen real estate and the beefier power adapter. Considering that I almost always connect to a display (my wife’s 49” TV) the extra inches didn’t make sense to spend for. (I sprang for the M1 Pro Max 10-core CPU / 32-core GPU 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD configuration.) If I spent more time with the bare laptop the 16” would have been my pick.

Now I just need to wait until my company’s IT department gets around to supporting the M1 chips…
Well, the 14" throttles compared to the 16" in performance when pushed to the limits. I wanted to make sure no such throttling happened with my system, so the 16" was the way to go.

Well, the 14" throttles compared to the 16" in performance when pushed to the limits. I wanted to make sure no such throttling happened with my system, so the 16" was the way to go.
I was not aware of that. Since my company gets a discount on Apple hardware maybe the delta in price between the two configurations won't be as bad as what the general public has to endure.

I was not aware of that. Since my company gets a discount on Apple hardware maybe the delta in price between the two configurations won't be as bad as what the general public has to endure.

I have to admit that from a visual perspective, running the SotTR benchmark on this thing is one of the most visually stunning experiences I’ve seen in computing yet - brightness and dynamic range are incredible, and the fact that it run smoothly at good resolutions and settings while on battery power is rather stunning.

It also [hugely] leaves me wanting for more AAA games…. Sigh.

Back