I had a moment of weakness...

John

Limp Gawd
and it resulted in this:

24" iMac with 1GB of RAM (help!), 2.4Ghz model - my first proper Mac. (I had a PPC Mac Mini before this, but gave it to my folks after a week.)

So far I love it. The only downside for me is the obvious lack of RAM, but that's something that I'll get fixed as soon as I need it. I'm thinking of doing away with my PC completely, especially since it plays games well on XP.

A couple of questions:
- Do I need to buy official Apple RAM?
- Is it possible to upgrade the internal hard drive?

1. Congrats. That's a nice machine.
2. You don't need official Apple RAM. Just match the specs up and buy it somewhere else, like Newegg, usually at a huge savings.
3. Adding RAM to that model is annoying. Enjoy and try not to cut yourself. ;)
4. Replacing the HD yourself is not a good idea. You have to really discombobulate that model to get to it and for most people it's not worth it and most unpleasant.:D

1. Congrats. That's a nice machine.
2. You don't need official Apple RAM. Just match the specs up and buy it somewhere else, like Newegg, usually at a huge savings.
3. Adding RAM to that model is annoying. Enjoy and try not to cut yourself. ;)
4. Replacing the HD yourself is not a good idea. You have to really discombobulate that model to get to it and for most people it's not worth it and most unpleasant.:D

Thanks for the info. Thankfully I'm not going to need to replace the hard drive, although I was wondering if it was possible. :)

and it resulted in this:

24" iMac with 1GB of RAM (help!), 2.4Ghz model - my first proper Mac. (I had a PPC Mac Mini before this, but gave it to my folks after a week.)

So far I love it. The only downside for me is the obvious lack of RAM, but that's something that I'll get fixed as soon as I need it. I'm thinking of doing away with my PC completely, especially since it plays games well on XP.

A couple of questions:
- Do I need to buy official Apple RAM?
- Is it possible to upgrade the internal hard drive?

i already had my moment of weakness that week when i went out and bought an 8gb iphone and im loving it....im really trying not to get weak again because i want a 24" so bad too,i want to do away with my current rig(see sig) and get the 24" imac...
i do recommend getting vmfusion for all your windows needs though...i use it on my macbook and its an awesome app....

i already had my moment of weakness that week when i went out and bought an 8gb iphone and im loving it....im really trying not to get weak again because i want a 24" so bad too,i want to do away with my current rig(see sig) and get the 24" imac...
i do recommend getting vmfusion for all your windows needs though...i use it on my macbook and its an awesome app....

Doesn't VM Fusion cause a big performance hit? (Especially in games...)

yes..if your going to play games...reboot and start your bootcamp partition...aero doesnt work either

Well, I definitely wouldn't be using Vista - that's part of the reason I'm switching to Mac OS X. (I wanted an OS that looks pretty, but doesn't induce suicidal tenancies.)

Well, I definitely wouldn't be using Vista - that's part of the reason I'm switching to Mac OS X. (I wanted an OS that looks pretty, but doesn't induce suicidal tenancies.)

Vista really isn't that bad IF you make sure all the hardware is working and supported before you install it on the rig. Every issue I have seen so far was driver related instead of OS related. Vista stole (and I mean really stole, like bad... lol) a great number of the things I liked about OSX. That said I too would still rater have a Mac, if only the damn things weren't so expensive for the power.

Also nice rig :) Every time I go by the Apple store in the mall I have to resist the urge to have my own moment of weakness heh. How is the glossyness? That is the one thing that bugged me about them in the store, but I imagine that has more to do with the lighting there than anything else, as I have a laptop that is similar and it doesn't bother me at all.

Replacing RAM is so easy. There is only one screw to remove and it takes all of 20 seconds. Any ddr2 677 laptop RAM will work great and Apple is very fine with 3rd party RAM. You can upgrade to 4gb for under $150 if you look hard.

Vista really isn't that bad IF you make sure all the hardware is working and supported before you install it on the rig. Every issue I have seen so far was driver related instead of OS related. Vista stole (and I mean really stole, like bad... lol) a great number of the things I liked about OSX. That said I too would still rater have a Mac, if only the damn things weren't so expensive for the power.

Also nice rig :) Every time I go by the Apple store in the mall I have to resist the urge to have my own moment of weakness heh. How is the glossyness? That is the one thing that bugged me about them in the store, but I imagine that has more to do with the lighting there than anything else, as I have a laptop that is similar and it doesn't bother me at all.

Yep, I learned my lesson about checking for supported hardware when Vista destroyed all the data on my RAID5 array. :(

Even after I made sure everything was supported, I couldn't live with the performance hit. Video would stutter, apps would take longer to load, and alt-tabbing out of games would become a long, drawn out affair. It may well have been a compatibility issue that I overlooked, or something with the configuration - but ultimately I couldn't be bothered to spend any time on it.

There was one place nearby that I knew sold the new iMacs, except everything is always out of stock there. I said to myself "If they have the 24" iMac in stock there I'll get it. If not, I'll have saved myself a lot of cash.". Of course, it was out of stock - but by that time I was so set on getting one I drove to every major store I could think of to see if anyone had it. Of all places, they had one at PC World. :eek:

I'm a big hater of glossy screens, but for some reason I don't notice it on the iMac. Perhaps it's something to do with the lighting, or that the screen is nice and bright. (It makes my Dell 2405FPW look awful by comparison.)

Back