I gotta brag/vent to someone that knows what I'm talking about.

Dvater

n00b
Just entertain me here but my PC sound system consists of:

Denon AVR-1912 Receiver via 2080Ti HDMI with full HD audio support
Definitive Technology Mythos Six for the fronts
Definitive Technology Mythos Seven for the center
Definitive Technology Mythos Gems for the surrounds
DUAL Velodyne MiniVee 8 inch 1000 watt RMS subwoofers

Now, I gotta brag because I found, honestly, one of the MiniVee's sitting outside next to the street that our neighbors just threw the fuck out, junked, along with a perfectly fine Denon AVR-1612 receiver and stereo Klipsch XL-23 speakers. Fucking SCORE!!! Like, WTF, right?

Then, after being BLOWN AWAY by the MiniVee I looked on FB Marketplace for a second one to make a nice 2.2 setup with my newfound Klipsch and receiver. Knowing I'd never find another, genuinely looking for shits and giggles, I ran across one 10 MINUTES AWAY, totally by chance, for $300...that also just had happened to included the above Definitive Technology five speaker setup AND the AVR-1912...$300.

So, in the end, I've paid $300 total for a system that, 10 years ago MSRP, would have cost upwards of $4,000. It sounds INCREDIBLE, these subs are otherworldly, and the Definitive Technology Mythos are true audiophile grade sound...all for a few hundred bucks. Less that some 5.1 Logitech systems.

Anyways, this is totally to brag and what not but no one I know cares or even knows what I'm talking about so I had to share with someone that might get me and might share in my excitement somewhat for such an awesome find and awesome steal of a price for what I did have to pay for.

Now, I gotta brag because I found, honestly, one of the MiniVee's sitting outside next to the street that our neighbors just threw the fuck out, junked, along with a perfectly fine Denon AVR-1612 receiver and stereo Klipsch XL-23 speakers. Fucking SCORE!!! Like, WTF, right?

Then, after being BLOWN AWAY by the MiniVee I looked on FB Marketplace for a second one to make a nice 2.2 setup with my newfound Klipsch and receiver. Knowing I'd never find another, genuinely looking for shits and giggles, I ran across one 10 MINUTES AWAY, totally by chance, for $300...that also just had happened to included the above Definitive Technology five speaker setup AND the AVR-1912...$300.

So, in the end, I've paid $300 total for a system that, 10 years ago MSRP, would have cost upwards of $4,000. It sounds INCREDIBLE, these subs are otherworldly, and the Definitive Technology Mythos are true audiophile grade sound...all for a few hundred bucks. Less that some 5.1 Logitech systems.

Anyways, this is totally to brag and what not but no one I know cares or even knows what I'm talking about so I had to share with someone that might get me and might share in my excitement somewhat for such an awesome find and awesome steal of a price for what I did have to pay for.

I can buy a junk car that was worth something 10 years ago... One mans trash is another poor mans treasure. You're that poor man now so congrats on finding your treasure. I hope it's not a once in a lifetime thing. Keep digging in the neighbors garbage and just be you!!

I would look at resurrounding 10 year old speakers.

I can buy a junk car that was worth something 10 years ago... One mans trash is another poor mans treasure. You're that poor man now so congrats on finding your treasure. I hope it's not a once in a lifetime thing. Keep digging in the neighbors garbage and just be you!!

I'd agree with the analogy if speaker tech had changed that much in 10 years. Sure, there is newer but not necessarily better or really improved. These speakers are still, what I'd consider to be, top of the line in their price brackets and unlike a car really don't degrade or wear down in the same regard. Everything looks pristine and is still 100% functional. I'll say this, to get the same quality sound you'd still be looking to spent a comparative amount of money if buying new. Hell, even this stuff still goes for a good amount online, if you know what you got. Any MiniVee's I can find still go for a few hundred each, same with the speakers.

Anyways, I get what you mean, and maybe I'm bias, but I can't help but look at this more than just another mans trash...I really got a damn good deal on this stuff and I guess still can't believe what I have. Listening to music right now and it's surreal sounding and for what I spent I've had far less in comparison.

Until ya find out they're hot as the sun...😎 Hehe j/k! I'm a bit jealous when I see these threads. I have several times grabbed microwaves from the curb sporting free signs only to replace a $1.50 fuse and sell them for 30+ dollars during a garage sale.

Very nice finds! You're absolutely right about audio tech nit really changing.... John is wrong.
The digital end has changed 1000 fold in the last 20 years, but analog(think speakers and amps) hit peak in the 80's i think.

I would look at resurrounding 10 year old speakers.

Nah, they're rubber and look and feel just fine. 10 years really isn't that long.

John is wrong.

I mean I get what he's saying but yeah, looking stuff like this up ain't nothing changed really. This system is still just as good now as it was then, especially these subbbbbs!

The digital end has changed 1000 fold in the last 20 years

Oh for sure, DAC's and digital amps have improved a TON.

but analog(think speakers and amps) hit peak in the 80's i think.

80's or early 90's. My Koss ESP-950 electrostatic headphones came out early 90's and are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned.

kewl.. people are weird... I bought this at goodwill for $75 ..like 5~yrs ago... someone donated this to goodwill in this condition and then gw priced ea component at $25 and it was 1/2 sale... $75 out the door with a Sony TA-N77ES stack.. anyways congrats on the score.

desk_Dec16.jpg

kewl.. people are weird... I bought this at goodwill for $75 ..like 5~yrs ago... someone donated this to goodwill in this condition and then gw priced ea component at $25 and it was 1/2 sale... $75 out the door with a Sony TA-N77ES stack.. anyways congrats on the score.

Great score for you as well! You got ALL that Sony for $75??? Do people at GW not have Google? Making me jealous lol...

Great score for you as well! You got ALL that Sony for $75??? Do people at GW not have Google? Making me jealous lol...

true story I did.. I did pay some kid $5 to go get me a cart so I could get it up to the checkout... but yeah 1/2 sale and ea component price $24.99.. i was obviously super stoked.

The digital end has changed 1000 fold in the last 20 years, but analog(think speakers and amps) hit peak in the 80's i think.
Especially speakers have advanced in big leaps since the 80's. Amplifiers are the only stagnant area even though even there class D has evolved to be worthy of High-End badge. If you really think a 10 000 dollar speaker from the 80's can hold a candle to a current 10 000 dollar speaker (on average and adjusted for inflation) you're badly mistaken. A lot of technological advances have been made in engineering the radiation patterns, step responses, physical materials (berylliium/diamond domes), use of horns and compression drives etc.

As a former MiniVee 10 owner, they do rock no doubt. I sold mine a few years ago and got a pretty penny- she was mint condition.
I put mine on top of a subwoofer isolation pad just for giggles. The only thing I wish they would have done with those subs was make the power cord detachable.

Enjoy them.

I paid $40 for this Pioneer 1022k AVR and these JBL Studio S38 speakers a few years back.
The S38's sound like I have a subwoofer attached to the system since it has such great low end for a mid sized bookshelf style speaker.
IMG_0392.JPEG

As a former MiniVee 10 owner, they do rock no doubt. I sold mine a few years ago and got a pretty penny- she was mint condition.
I put mine on top of a subwoofer isolation pad just for giggles. The only thing I wish they would have done with those subs was make the power cord detachable.

Enjoy them.

Yeah they're beasts...how were the isolation pads? I've been highly considering something like them because these things like to move a lot of my stuff around...

Highly rated subs for sure, highly sought after. Why my neighbors just tossed it out I've no idea, I thought about inquiring but didn't want to possibly stir something up. I certainly appreciate that I've got two of them. I enjoy how tight and precise they are, way less "boomy" than my normal ported subs.

I paid $40 for this Pioneer 1022k AVR and these JBL Studio S38 speakers a few years back.
The S38's sound like I have a subwoofer attached to the system since it has such great low end for a mid sized bookshelf style speaker.

Hey I actually had the same JBL's you have! Was years ago and got them cheap as hell too, along with a pair of the JBL N38 towers...can't remember the center I had then. Either way that's a great deal no doubt! I get people needing money and obviously audio gear seems to not be a hot selling item but at $40 I don't get why someone wouldn't just keep it. Set it up somewhere as a secondary audio system or something...$40 is screwing yourself over! Even at $300 for what I had to pay for, that wasn't someone's trash, is a ridiculous deal. $40 is a pricey lunch lol!

I never find cool stuff like that. I'm usually the guy putting cool stuff on the curb because I hate dealing with other people, lol.

I never find cool stuff like that. I'm usually the guy putting cool stuff on the curb because I hate dealing with other people, lol.

A lot of it really is luck though and just looking. It's like the lottery...you're never going to win if you don't even play the game, ya know? So for me I'm on Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp and others at least once a day just to look for some common items I'm interested in (Definitive Technology, Fanatec, etc). You'd be surprised what you'll find and if you don't look often that thing you wanted could have passed you by, maybe more than once! Like I said I found one of these MiniVee subs, looked online for about a week everyday and that's when I stumbled across the second MiniVee. Never would have gotten a second one if I just hoped to find another, I had to look and got lucky!

You need to hang around areas which have people that have more money than brains.

This helps as well. Living in metro Atlanta area the level of money and people around me is quite large so I usually happen across a lot of cool shit. More recent purchases include a month old Fanatec racing setup with stand. Retailed for $900 I paid $600 during the height of the pandemic when this shit had skyrocketed. Then right after this like a month later I SCORED a $3000 DOF Reality H3 3-axis motion simulator for said Fanatec setup for $1,500! 10 minutes away from me! Then of course the speaker setup in OP for $300 is insane. Yeah, I like used stuff.

Nice. I was looking at the Minivees until SVS released the Micro 3000 which is giving me second thoughts. Does deep bass really cause a small sub to start crawling on the floor? lol

Nice. I was looking at the Minivees until SVS released the Micro 3000 which is giving me second thoughts. Does deep bass really cause a small sub to start crawling on the floor? lol
I just picked up one of their new SB 1000 pro and I have no doubt that the pointy feet on it would walk across a hardwood floor if it wasn't 26 lbs, that one looks like it uses the same feet and is over double the power plus a few pounds lighter. I have to say I'm impressed with it so far, it has some of the cleanest room shaking bass I've heard and as much as I normally hate bluetooth gimicks and superfluous phone apps the app has been handy for adjusting levels.

It's not as small or as powerful as the micro 3000 but it was one of the few 12" subs that would fit comfortably under my desk and reaches all the way down to 20 Hz which very few that size do.

Doing a online tone generator (https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/) the Minivee at moderate levels (about 55%, loud but not TOO loud) can be heard and slightly felt at 20Hz, keep in mind I have two so I'm sure it helps. It's definitely "audible" and present. 21Hz and 22Hz have noticeable increased speed and loudness...23Hz is an obviously level of audible and has something in my room rattling...lol...anything above this is straight rumbly beautiful bass.

Honestly, at about 65% volume on my receiver, the max I listen to my setup for movies and music, even 18Hz is audible. It's subtle but it's there. On the high end though at like 45% volume (think loud enough to comfortably hear but not bothering anyone at night) you gotta hit 24-25Hz before they really "kick in".

Honestly thanks for this comment. Looking at the Micro 3000 got me guessing as to the limits of my MiniVee's and, yeah, they are pretty bad ass! Certainly, I would like to think, not worth upgrading to anything else in their size/power category (1000w RMS apparently).

As for anchoring them, I'd certainly invest in some sort of anti-vibration solution. I've actually been looking into this stuff and I think I'm going to go with, on the cheap, some foam pool noodles cut in half (round side down) with a cement square sitting on them and the subs on top of those, should do a pretty good job.

I know the MiniVee from the speaker package I bought had a hole drilled on the bottom, I can only imagine it was so the original owner could anchor it down LOL!

Back