I gots a question?

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
My question is in regard to a water cooled E6600 24/7 folding boxen, a GA-G31M-S2L mobo and 2 GB's of "el cheapo" DDR2 PC6400 RAM all runnin' in WinXP 32 bit with SP2.

The above boxen is a E6600 cpu mildly OC'ed to just 3.0 GHz (stock vcore). It has a MCP350 WP (stock top), a MCR220 rad with 2x shrouded Petras Yate Loon D12SH-12 fans sucking inward, a Micro rez and last but not least a Apogee GT that has been bowed by the larger "O" ring. All this jazz is connected with 3/8 tubes with metal screw type clamps. The case is a "mid tower" Antec 9 (custom plexiglass window side) with a Antec 3 speed rear exhaust fan, a Petras Yate Loon D12SL-12 fan in the side blowing inward over the mobo, it's chips and RAM (this being pretty much a folding box I use the onboard video, so no hot video card) and a grilled "gimongus" hole for another 120mm fan for intake in the front.

My ambient temps are roughly between 20c and 21c, rarely do my ambient temps get much above 25c degrees because that's a sign for me to turn on the freakin' air conditioner. (pretty soon it'll be on all the time with summer comin') My cpu temps have been scaling pretty accurately at about 20c to 21c above the ambient when folding (about 100% cpu usage). I have my cpu temps read by CoreTemp 0.96.1, HWMonitor, Everest Home Edition and RealTemp 2.41 (calibrated like the author suggested and I allow the 15c offset for the TJMax problem (CoreTemp, RealTemp and HWMonitor are pretty close to each other like within a degree or two and I believe Everest reads TCase?). I also have a infared thermometer, but I use it mainly to find "hot spots" in my cases.

To boil it all down: Do these temps sound accurate because they seem kinda' low to me even though I've added a 15c offset. Is there anymore accurate way to measure cpu temps ? (yeah, I know, use the infared thermometer, but what a freakin' hassle and it's just a "el cheapo" model, probably not that accurate)

So what do you people think?

Any advice, opinions or criticism is highly appreciated.

With a E6600 at 3.0 GHz, it's perfectly possible to keep it at ambient temps with your setup. The cpu is probably dissipating 80-100w top while your wc setup is made to cool 250-300w, hence lots of room to grow.

As long as the cpu is kept under 50C at full load, it's not worth pulling hair and splitting each one in 4 :p

Hey thanks Xilikon and Arcygenical. :D

I guess I do go a little "overboard" about worrying about my cpu temperatures. :rolleyes:

Back