I got the 290X ..

Just give it same time as reading the reviews there was afew experts trying to run the card on some off brand power supply's and blaming the card so there will be some open box deals..

I have had no issues with mine but I run a Corsair TX 950 watt supply and have had no reboots or errors from drivers as I started on windows 8.1 but now on windows 10.. but the 390 8gb would be my next pick but please have a good power supply.

I actually just sent mine back... Kept getting black screens and 'displayport link failure' error messages when using the displayport. Sapphire support said it was a faulty displayport.

AMD (or their partners) have really bad QA.
It's always best to put your card through its paces as much as possible during the first 30 days so you can deal directly with Newegg, Amazon, etc.

AMD (or their partners) have really bad QA.
It's always best to put your card through its paces as much as possible during the first 30 days so you can deal directly with Newegg, Amazon, etc.

Really? Because, so far, I have not had a single issue on my reference R9 290 except that unlocking it did not work after a while correctly. (Black screen so I just flashed it back to an R9 290 bios and it works fine since.) Maybe it is a non reference card issue?

They are budget cards, expect budget quality. That's all there is to say.
When AMD boosts their sales numbers then the partners will start putting better quality components and craftsmanship into the boards.

The numbers shown in that thread support an around 2x in the same bracket, just never 5x.

All cards what were great for mining, gee I wonder why AMD failure rates were so high for the generation.

Seriously dude stop being such a huge fanboy.

All cards what were great for mining, gee I wonder why AMD failure rates were so high for the generation.

Seriously dude stop being such a huge fanboy.
It's fine, we'll check back next year with the 300-series, we'll see the same problem and people will make more excuses. Anything to avoid criticizing the underdog.
I could pull up 6000-series failures vs Fermi and people will say, "It doesn't matter because it's 5 year old data". :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, crypto mining had NO EFFECT on the RMA rates I linked in that thread. The first results were tested in-house and the second results are from a French retailer, where pretty much no one mined coins.

And then if you go back to the 7000 series, before mining, you see the same problems:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2052...ion-to-so-publicly-dump-amd-video-cards-.html

2012 failure rates:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ts-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/

”This decision was based on a combination of many factors including customer experiences, GPU performance/drivers/stability, and requests from our support staff. Based on our 15+ years of experience building and selling award winning high-performance PCs, we strongly feel the best PC gaming experience is on Nvidia GPUs.”

The fact of the matter is, Nvidia outsells AMD at least 4-to-1. If you were designing PCBs, you would put more effort into Nvidia boards simply due to their demand. If you release a faulty Nvidia board vs faulty AMD board, you have to deal with more than 4 TIMES the amount of returns. It's much easier to cut corners on AMD products since the userbase is significantly smaller. The proof is in the pudding anyway, look at all the complaints about faulty AMD hardware. I have to read "My new AMD card is artifacting" at least a dozen times per day, everyday, for years. The only Nvidia cards that I see artifacting are 3+ year old 660's.

If AMD is selling one quarter the amount of cards as Nvidia then why are there so many complaints about faulty hardware? All things being equal there should be many more Nvidia owners complaining. After more than 5 years of the same issues I've stopped considering it anecdotal. And it's not my fault that nobody else pays attention. I look up the numbers, lo and behold, those match too.

Last edited:
Tainted you make me laugh, in no industry do they tell you what their actual failure rate is. So you type numbers out that you have no way of proving, they are just a guess from a tiny amount of time and sample size. Reality is a 5% or less failure rate is the typical accepted rate of failure and that is what you budget for in almost every industry. Plus you seem to forget Nvidia had to fix their cards for solder issues cause they used a inferior solder that could not hold up to the heat from the gpu. I swear your taking lessons on fud from Prime1, by just putting false info out and hoping no one notices. Tho I will say your posts are a bit less entertaining then Prime1's.

You also should not pay much attention to a retail stores returns, some people buy a couple cards and return the ones that don't overclock as well. This will inflate a supposed failure rate, heck my 290x I use is a returned card to Amazon, works fine and I have had it since the 290x came out practically. Picked that card up for 425 bucks and it's only issue was it did not want to overclock past 1050 on air, it's on water cooling now so it overclocks just fine now. I have had more problems with memory failing then any other piece over the years since the 286 days. Here is a simple rule for ya, if it's made by Man then it will fail.

I actually just sent mine back... Kept getting black screens and 'displayport link failure' error messages when using the displayport. Sapphire support said it was a faulty displayport.

I have had no black screens but I am on DVI-I .. I also have a R9-280 that I just used the HDMI output into a Sharp 4k TV and worked great but it could be as they say just a bad HDMI on your card but we all mix and match so the end user event will be different as all hardware is not made to support everything and may not be the card but your LCD or your HDMI cable but any time I change a video card out well I do a total cmos wipe just to have a fresh start with a new card but most people are to proud to do such a thing.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, it is back in stock at newegg for full price of $325 - $20 gift card.
I am gonna hold out for another sale.

For that price just get the 390 as I have seen reviews and the card is pretty fast and even with my 290x ...I heard they both over clock to around 1150-1200 range,

Back