I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Speaking of PSU's, I just snagged a CM Silent Gold 800W which has the thin modular cables instead of the fat sleeved ones. Should make for some much better cable management.

eurin, here is how I have mine setup. I did a TON of testing to come up with this layout.

74196202.jpg

It may seem weird that the top blows in but tried it both ways and the temp dropped by 2 degrees with it blowing in. I dont think you need the bottom fan.

I also cut a hole in the front (i think the new version has a hole already)... This dropped the temps by 2 or 3 degrees. I think my PS blows up and out the front not down and out like yours.

38035157.jpg

Everything is cool is quite with this layout!!:D

Interesting. I've seen another guy report better results with an intake on top. I'm curious if it's because keeps your case positive. I wish I had tools to test airflow, because I'd like to see if positive pressure has a noticeable impact on helping the video card exhaust air out.

The PSU is currently pulling from the bottom, I was going to test it in both configurations once I cut out space on the bottom of the HD cage. The BS-08 not working as an intake got me playing with fans, and I've noticed that they really lose airflow when they are pulling air near flat surfaces (under ~2in away). Curiosity has had me fiddling with fans lately.

I'm thinking about two very low speeds exhausting top and 2 intakes with tight mesh filters along the bottom. I won't be cutting up the case for a few more days.

eurin, here is how I have mine setup. I did a TON of testing to come up with this layout.

74196202.jpg

Everything is cool is quite with this layout!!:D

My plan is to use the top fan as an exhaust, then get one of these DS series cards from EVGA. Should work well, I think.

2436604_big.jpg

Do you still got your A05NB Spare-Flair? I noticed it's missing from your sig and in place is a ton of 5870s. :eek:

Do you still got your A05NB Spare-Flair? I noticed it's missing from your sig and in place is a ton of 5870s. :eek:

Of course, but I've been using my laptop for almost everything now because of work and school and the A05 has been relegated to mining rig/file server. It actually looks quite funny now as it's stuffed with 5870s and I've reversed the front panel so the PSU can actually exhale properly because it gets incredibly hot now. With the cover on normally, my system will actually shut itself down from overheating and I have to wait several minutes for it to cool! That's how bad the front cover is. I still want to fabricate a new one for myself by buying some modders mesh and a sheet metal bender.

Using the A05FNB with the standard motherboard orientation. I'm now marking off the side panel for a window and plan to add 2 or 3 80mm fan holes beneath it. My thinking is that I'll allow those fans, along with the rear fan, to be intake. That will leave the front fan and a 140mm fan on the top up the case a bit to the right of the CPU for exhaust. Does this seem like a good scheme?

cooling.gif

Add a 140mm or a couple of 120 in the floor/bottom of the case for intake(s) in lieu of the 80mms to significantly reduce noise. Then replace the feet with 1/2" to 3/4" high unit for a finishing touch. While your modding, cut the perforations out of the PS intake.

Add a 140mm or a couple of 120 in the floor/bottom of the case for intake(s) in lieu of the 80mms to significantly reduce noise. Then replace the feet with 1/2" to 3/4" high unit for a finishing touch. While your modding, cut the perforations out of the PS intake.

Good ideas. I do wanna keep the three side fans though. Because there three of them, they don't have to be spinning at full speed. That'll keep the noise to a minimum. I'll have a separate fan controller for them. Gonna use the orange Xigmatek's with white LED's with Xig's pci fan controller.

I'm putting together a build to get ready for BF3.
The PC-a05 is my favorite looking case, I'm worried about a few things though.
-Cooling could become an issue down the road if I go SLI
-I'd like to get the PC-a05fn for the new features such as USB3 but I'm worried the GPUs might hit the PSU.

What would you guys recommend? Are there any other cases <$125 that look the same?

My Build said:
Budget: ~$1,000

CPU: i5 2500k $180
Mobo: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 $110 I'll be doing the CPU/Mobo combo at MicroCenter
Ram: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel $20
Video card: Using integrated until BF3 comes out

Need:
Power supply: Would like it to support SLI in the future
Case: Quiet, understated, sleek/simple. Like the look of most Lian Li cases.
Cooler: Want something relatively quiet.

I'll be overclocking and doing SLI when stock rates are no longer enough for the newest games.
Suggestions?

I ended up going with this configuration.

a05flow2.png

I previously had very warm exhausting out the front of the case. Now the air isn't noticeably different than the surrounding air.

My camera took terrible photos so I won't bother with them. The 3 intakes and front exhaust are Gentle Typhoon 15s, the top two exhaust are Yate Loon DSL-12s. Even with Silverstone FF121B Dust Filters on the 3 intakes, I still have positive pressure. I used rubber foam weatherstripping and neodymium magnets to make them easy to pop on and off. Entire computer is raised up a few inches by a black riser. I'm hoping to find some good, tall computer feet (1.5in+) for when I take this to LANs.

I also did switch the PSU to pull air from the HDD cage side, now that I cut the bottom plate out (cage was all one piece, not sure if only the original case revision had this). The PSU has been in use for almost 2 years, yet it did not have a spec of dust inside. It looked brand new. Would this be an indication that it had very poor air flow trying to pull air from that small gap below the PSU?

SLI/Crossfire is fine in an A05 as long as you 1. have reference cards that exhaust all the hot air out and 2. you have a top fan blowing in.

My A05 is doing crossfire right now and I have a duct/shield so hot air isn't pulled back in by the CPU intake below.

I ended up going with this configuration.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36855522/a05flow2.png

I previously had very warm exhausting out the front of the case. Now the air isn't noticeably different than the surrounding air.

My camera took terrible photos so I won't bother with them. The 3 intakes and front exhaust are Gentle Typhoon 15s, the top two exhaust are Yate Loon DSL-12s. Even with Silverstone FF121B Dust Filters on the 3 intakes, I still have positive pressure. I used rubber foam weatherstripping and neodymium magnets to make them easy to pop on and off. Entire computer is raised up a few inches by a black riser. I'm hoping to find some good, tall computer feet (1.5in+) for when I take this to LANs.

I also did switch the PSU to pull air from the HDD cage side, now that I cut the bottom plate out (cage was all one piece, not sure if only the original case revision had this). The PSU has been in use for almost 2 years, yet it did not have a spec of dust inside. It looked brand new. Would this be an indication that it had very poor air flow trying to pull air from that small gap below the PSU?

That's how I would have changed the airflow if I decided to invest any more money/time into this case. The only changes I would've made were remove the rear intake fan all together and re-orientate the CPU cooler so it's blowing upwards. As for the PSU, I don't know, but your hypothesis doesn't sound too farfetched.

That's how I would have changed the airflow if I decided to invest any more money/time into this case. The only changes I would've made were remove the rear intake fan all together and re-orientate the CPU cooler so it's blowing upwards. As for the PSU, I don't know, but your hypothesis doesn't sound too farfetched.

My old Opteron s939 system in the living room has the CPU cooler oriented upward. Even without an exhaust at the top of that case, it really helped move air around in the case and reduce the hot pocket at the top. Mine currently is pointed toward the HDD cage in this rig, so actually about 35deg twisted more than shown. I'm tempted to switch it to vertical, since it would benefit even more with the large amount of vertical flow in this case.

Last edited:
The lightguides? Why would you want to remove them?

Powder coating. Not an issue any longer. I broke them. For the life of me, I couldn't get them off even after I broke the stems. Ya think Lian will send replacements if I ask? Maybe a replacement Lian Li case badge? Yeah, I messed that up too. : )

I wish I could comment ... usually powder-coating is limited to just the frame -- are you going a different color? There may be some folks in the thread (I'd go by pictures of the cases or search the thread for "purple" and "chocolate") who powder coated the front panel -- they may have some answers to the questions you're asking.

I wish I could comment ... usually powder-coating is limited to just the frame.
That's all I'm having coated. The piece I spoke of is on the back side of the front panel.
I'm confused ... your post immediately above sounds like you are powder-coating the frame (and NOT the front panel) ... by why would you then remove the lightguides from the front panel (and do something to the Lian-Li badge too)?

^ Yes, I did contribute to the confusion. Sorry. I am having the four black panels powder coated. It is a heat intensive process, which is why I attempted to remove all the plastic elements, including the lightguides on the back of the front panel and the case badge. And yes, people do powder coat the panels. There are plenty of examples (many in here) of this being done successfully.

So sadly, I got fed up with the front panel of my A05. Some day I will muster the courage to cut it open if I can find a sheet metal bender so I can make a replacement if I need one.

For now, I've done this horrible thing to deal with the temperatures of summer that would cause my entire system to shut itself off due to overheating of videocards and powersupply when I am running in Crossfire. Any idea how to remove and flip the Lian Li logo? Right now it's like... 17 N&#8704;I7

Before:
a05np.jpg

After: 17 N&#8704;I7
a05q.jpg

Last edited:
Is a Corsair HX850 PSU going to be too big for this case?

Dimensions: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 7.09"(L)

Last edited:
My Seasonic M12 is 6.25" long and it's 1" away from the edge of standard (9.6" wide, I think) ATX mobo. So, HX850 won't bump into mobo .. BUT you may be limited to running it with fan looking up (otherwise the non-modular cables will be bumping into mobo and/or connectors/components on it.

That's what I'm worried about, guess I'll keep looking around for PSUs.

Any suggestions for others? I want to be able to do SLI/CF if I have to down the road.

Wow, bright orange and army green are not colors I would have ever thought of for this case. Are you trying for a specific theme based on something?

Wow, bright orange and army green are not colors I would have ever thought of for this case. Are you trying for a specific theme based on something?

On paper, the color looked a bit darker and more like rust. What I picked out was more like the bottom left square. The end result being more like the top left square. The difference isn't enormous though, so I'm not gonna cry and moan. I do have a theme in mind, but it's not representative by color. I just chose what I liked.

images

Does anyone know the length from the upper part of the PSU to the edge lip of the top plate?
And then from there up to the actual top of the case?

Back