I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

My xfx 6850 was doing that in my A04. I just removed the screws lol. Not sure where they are now though...

Last edited:
Maybe that's why my 4890s are such a bitch to get lined up right... I've never looked for any screws / other protrusions. I always assumed it was just a slightly warped second-hand case. That, or Sapphire couldn't make anything to spec to save their sorry asses. Either is believable.

I almost made a post here about my case being screwed up because of this. Wanted to make sure it wasn't something else before I posted something negative about the build quality of the case. Luckily I noticed this before I did. Here is what my 6950 looks like installed in case it is about the limit of what will fit with the hdd cage still installed. I would say there is 1/4" clearance at most but didn't actually measure it.
adTaN.jpg

Have a favor to ask of an A05 owner. I'm looking at picking one up for a water cooling foray, and I am wondering how tall the inside of the case is (how big that lip is on the side for the side panel).

The measurement I am looking for is from the lowest expansion slot to the case roof. Width from the expansion slots to the side of the case would also be appreciated if possible.

Yeah, that's what I paid for a used A05B. No thanks.

This sir, is an awesome find.

Have a favor to ask of an A05 owner. I'm looking at picking one up for a water cooling foray, and I am wondering how tall the inside of the case is (how big that lip is on the side for the side panel).

The measurement I am looking for is from the lowest expansion slot to the case roof. Width from the expansion slots to the side of the case would also be appreciated if possible.

I'll measure when I get home in a couple hours if someone hasn't already posted here. I have the original A05B, not an A05N-B, so the dimensions may be a bit different if you're working with the newer variant.

I'll measure when I get home in a couple hours if someone hasn't already posted here. I have the original A05B, not an A05N-B, so the dimensions may be a bit different if you're working with the newer variant.

Responses like this, in both substance and rapidity (I believe that's a word), are why I love [and moved to] [H].

Thanks a bunch!

It's about 1" from the top to where the expansion brackets start, and you have about 2 3/4" to the side of the case. Mine is A05N, but dimensions should be the same.

It's about 1" from the top to where the expansion brackets start, and you have about 2 3/4" to the side of the case. Mine is A05N, but dimensions should be the same.

Awesome! Should work well with the reservoir I would like to mount there.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading this thread since I got my A05-N a year ago (nice work everyone). Just today I stripped it down and painted it:

4%20-%20after%20small.jpg

Now my question: I had the C-02 but when I shipped my case from LA to DC, UPS busted it. So I just ordered another and it came it, but I'm having problems with the door catching on the front panel of the case. Anybody have experience with this/any solutions?

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading this thread since I got my A05-N a year ago (nice work everyone). Just today I stripped it down and painted it:

after%20small.jpg

Now my question: I had the C-02 but when I shipped my case from LA to DC, UPS busted it. So I just ordered another and it came it, but I'm having problems with the door catching on the front panel of the case. Anybody have experience with this/any solutions?

you can always take it apart and swap the pieces

after%20small.jpg

KUBE..love the work you've done..but may I ask what did you use to paint the interior with?

KUBE..love the work you've done..but may I ask what did you use to paint the interior with?

Thanks! I used a simple Krylon Indoor/Outdoor flat black spray paint. I live in a studio apartment, so I kept the windows open and laid down a LOT of newspapers.

It's a very quick drying spray paint, but you have to be careful, it can scratch kind of easily. I didn't put a clearcoat on, I just did a few light coats of the black to make sure it was even. In a couple places I scratched with the wires, I sprayed the end of a Q-Tip and dabbed it onto the spot.

You can see below, I took it all apart to do it, and actually painted every face (except the exterior bottom) just for the sake of consistency. I like that when I take the front panel off it's all black now.
3%20-%20strippedandpainted.jpg

Your wiring job is Outstanding..great work

finally done with my brothers A05. Took longer than expected since a few things had to be purchased to make it 100% functional.

here are the pics:

dsc04707g.jpg

dsc04710a.jpg

dsc04714k.jpg

dsc04724cd.jpg

so basically modded a 120mm blow hole up top and also a cut out behind the CPU for easy HSF removal.

I gave him an extra C-01B drive bay cover that I had lying around to keep the cleanliness intact. I don't like the fan controller at all since the LED are very distracting and bright.

Specs:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Core i7 930 @ 4.2ghz
ATI HD 5850
12GB DDR3 1600
128GB G Skill SSD
4TB of HDD
Venomous X HSF

Nice changes on my new one compared to the one i got when it came out. esp the hole in the MB tray for real heatsinks.

I've been reading this thread for the past week to see what experiences people have had with this case. Suffice it to say, this will be my next case.

I've also asked for a bit of help regarding the fluid dynamics of this case and I think it will help you guys out aswell.

airflow.jpg

this should help you guys out in determining what the best position for fans are.

I was bored today and went to Lowes and for $5 I got some blades for my Jig Saw and a $1 scrap piece of plexi and this is the end result- bout 20 minutes of total work. It could be better but for the most part it is great- most of the lines are straight and I didn't feel like paying about $10 shipped for some u-chanel molding so I am gona leave it like this for now. Need to invest in some type of lightning now- any suggestions?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is mine, it's roughly thrown togther. I needed to house everything as to having it open! Fans are 20mm yate loons, fitted in place with cable ties, didn't have any fan screws. It's an AMD X2 245 OC'd to 3.8Ghz with 4 GB DDR3 @ 1800 stock timings. along with an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD FW1.29. Works for me perfectly i'm ahsamed to say it as a big intel fan boy, mainly used to watch HD or Bluray films. Looking at getting a new one and doing some decent mods to it and selling this as a complet system once i've fitted some grills properly. Inside case temp is 26.5 currently, system has been on 10 hours. Air comes in from the floor, also through the back on the rad, out the front and 2 fan up top drawing air out. 1 fan upto blows down over my ssd which is ontop the dvd drive. PSU i fliped so the fan is at the base so the cable exit is on the mobo side, making it neater. Sorry for poor photos, iphone cam sucks

DSC00684_514x768.jpg

DSC00689_1024x685.jpg

DSC00690_1024x685.jpg

DSC00691_1024x685.jpg

I'll try and finish it off properly this week then get it online for sale, ebay or alikes to make room for new one with Intel kit

Needed to upgrade from a Q-Pack - wanted a teeny bit more room (especially for the GPU) but still wanted to stay on the small size. Definitely wanted an understated case, don't need the lights, bells & whistles. I think I got everything I wanted, it is actually roomier than I anticipated.

I went ahead and spent the $$ for the top with the blowhole (I posted earlier about it's availability from Performance-PCS and got slammed a touch for what it cost. Oh well...) I put a Xigmatek 140mm fan in the blowhole, controlled by a rheo on the back (in a PCI slot) - generally keeping it about 800 RPMs.

Stealthed the Optical cover - like the look, waaay worth the small cost. Added a Rosewill filter to the back because it only took a week and there was already a little build-up on the CPU fan.

Specs listed in the sig, the new ASUS P8P67 Pro mobo with the Cougar Point flaw fix (B3 stepping) comes tomorrow. (Need to touch up the cable management a little but am changing that out tomorrow).

@TimKLL: after you added that top cover with the 140mm fan did it help your temps in any significant way? I just put my build together using this case (see sig), but I think I'm running into a heat saturation problem under persistent load where the heat can't get out so the temps build more, especially with the GPU under load (tested by running with the side panel off, it was significantly cooler.) I don't want to upgrade the stock 120mm fans though because I like how quiet it is right now. Just trying to justify the cost of the top cover you posted in your previous link (not into doing a DIY job on this thing right now).

I don't have super specific numbers with the before and after temps because I only ran the rig for a little bit before switching to the blowhole top. I did have the original top and had cut a blowhole but boogered it up a bit when my Dremel circle cutter wandered a teeny bit. The diameter adjustment wingnut came loose with the vibration and the bit went just a couple millimeters outside the space that is covered by the grill. I looked at a bezel sort of fix but decided (being waaay to anal and perfectionist) that I would always know that the screw up was there, so I took the plunge for the slightly expensive replacement top.

Without any long-term, consistent temp comparisons I can tell you that I was seeing at least a 4-5 degree temp range drop in the case overall, and as much as 8-10 degrees lower on the GPU. I put in a very quiet Xigmatek fan in the blowhole and have it on a rheostat and keep it at about 800 RPMs - can't hear it over any of the other fans in the rig.

My opinion = The blowhole top, or a custom blowhole, is almost a necessity with this case. (Probably why almost anything like it now comes stock...)

blowhole? yeah. Judging by the fluid dynamics render and the fact the case pulls air from behind, a good option is to have a blowhole pushing air in, about 1/3rd the length of a videocard inwards from the back. IE: when situated over a videocard with a dual fan setup, the blowhole should be covering more of the fan that's closest to the video out ports. This should be able to push cold air overtop of the videocard and feed the rest of the system with a good stream of cool air.

However, if the fan is installed in a pull type setting, it would end up fighting the card for the remaining air.

blowhole? yeah. Judging by the fluid dynamics render and the fact the case pulls air from behind, a good option is to have a blowhole pushing air in, about 1/3rd the length of a videocard inwards from the back. IE: when situated over a videocard with a dual fan setup, the blowhole should be covering more of the fan that's closest to the video out ports. This should be able to push cold air overtop of the videocard and feed the rest of the system with a good stream of cool air.

However, if the fan is installed in a pull type setting, it would end up fighting the card for the remaining air.

That's what BS-03 is for.
bs03a03s.jpg

lianlia05nbairflow.jpg

Sticks out too much for my purposes... I don't have 140mm to the wall behind my case, and I don't want to pull it out any more. Too bad. I'd also have to change GPU coolers to make good use of it, since all the cards I have are rear exhaust type.

good idea on paper, but I fear all it's doing is recirculating hot exhaust air.

Not if you have a third party cooler. :D I've been thinking of getting one too, but having trouble finding the BS-06 for a reasonable price (<$30 shipped). Then again, I've probably dumped enough money into this case to buy a full tower.

good idea on paper, but I fear all it's doing is recirculating hot exhaust air.

My case doesn't exhaust anything out the back. Everything is taped up. Everything goes out the front. I even added another fan on the PSU to help pull out hot air.
lianlia05frontfan.jpg

I am thinking of flipping the suck hole on top to a blow hole however. I was trying to create positive air pressure.

You could also reverse all your fans and have intake from the front and top and exhaust everything out the back as the BS-03 can be flipped easily.

Last edited:
Back