I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Lian-Li cases definitely aren't for everyone, but I've never seen a problem with build quality in my two Lian-Li cases.

All I can say is I'm no longer a Lian Li fan. My plan was to build a small PC. Despite being 3" shorter than the Centurion 5 looks every bit bulky. It is a half inch longer and an inch wider so it looks odd. Perhaps if it was 5 inch shorter then the proportions would look better. Having a bigger footprint it looks ridiculous on my desk.

Once you've seen a Type 3 anodyzing you can't possibly accept the job done on this case. A big Maglite flashlights have Type 3 anodyzing for comparisons.

People at the Centurion 5 thread agree with me.

All I can say is I'm no longer a Lian Li fan. My plan was to build a small PC. Despite being 3" shorter than the Centurion 5 looks every bit bulky. It is a half inch longer and an inch wider so it looks odd. Perhaps if it was 5 inch shorter then the proportions would look better. Having a bigger footprint it looks ridiculous on my desk.

This is subjective. I like the proportions and I think it looks good on my desk. If a small PC is what you're after, you should consider going mATX. That might mean a motherboard swap for you though, going for the smallest ATX case you can find would probably be cheaper.

Once you've seen a Type 3 anodyzing you can't possibly accept the job done on this case. A big Maglite flashlights have Type 3 anodyzing for comparisons.

Can't say much to this, don't really know much about anodizing. What are the advantages of type III anodizing compared to type I?

From a quick Google search I found that it's harder to dye compared to type I. Wouldn't this be problematic for Lian-Li's silver cases?

Well, that's too bad, but for those of you who are still Lian Li fans:

a05fn_og.jpg

Bleh. Not thrilled with that redesign. Putting watercooling passthroughs on something as small as the A05N seems silly -- like you're going to have a tiny case and a big external watercooling setup. Who does that?

People at the Centurion 5 thread agree with me.

Sorry, but MagLites actually have type 2 anodizing. I don't own the A05, but I do respect its build and component quality. The Cent5 used to appeal to me...when I didn't know any better.

uhh, I want one of the new cases. I have a big problem with the PSU not getting cool enough air in mine. I like the redesign with the filtered PSU intake in the bottom of the case.

the new design doesnt make sense no matter what something will be drawing in hot air

gfx cards more or less blow out to the back so if you did a back intake, you pull in the hot air from gfx

if you pull cool air from the front the psu is spitting out hot air so then the front fan pulls in hot air

the new design doesnt make sense no matter what something will be drawing in hot air

gfx cards more or less blow out to the back so if you did a back intake, you pull in the hot air from gfx

if you pull cool air from the front the psu is spitting out hot air so then the front fan pulls in hot air

Thats no different than the old design. The problem is always the videocard. All reverse airflow cases will have this issue because videocard manufacturers make their rear exhaust cards for standard flow cases.

Thats no different than the old design. The problem is always the videocard. All reverse airflow cases will have this issue because videocard manufacturers make their rear exhaust cards for standard flow cases.

yes but with the current old design the cool air was being drawn from the bottom, since the hot air rises you get less hot air in the old way than this new way

Lian Li A05N...Its pretty tight but everything fits and almost all buttoned up. I still need to take out 1 dvd burner and replace it with the SB X-Fi front panel. I would like to replace the top with the dual fan top and also add a 3.5" fan controller because although the 4 Enermax magma fans are 1500rpm-18dBA max.,they are still a bit loud for my liking. And thank you EVGA for making the graphic cards external exhaust. ;)

001-Copy.jpg

007.jpg

015.jpg

047.jpg

fans ratings are just marketing. The noise rating is taken with solitary fans in a perfect acoustic environment with absolutely nothing blocking airflow. Any closed system with multiple fans in close proximity and directly next to objects like heatsinks, shrouds, grills, etc. will be much louder from air pressure, turbulence, and resonating vibrations from all the fans.

Just having a fan on a heatsink makes it louder. Stick your hand over a fan and it jumps a few decibels.

Got the sound blaster i/o panel installed. Now the search begins for that 3.5" fan controller.

045.jpg

Can't say much to this, don't really know much about anodizing. What are the advantages of type III anodizing compared to type I?

From a quick Google search I found that it's harder to dye compared to type I. Wouldn't this be problematic for Lian-Li's silver cases?

I don't know whether it's harder to dye or not but the resulting anodyze is much more durable.

I like that Kaze Q. It should work with my fans which draw 0.40a each. The only feature it's missing is retractable knobs like the x-fi front panel.

I don't know and it's very annoying. Since it snaps into place there isn't much I can really do about it.

Is it upside down? I think when I had mine I tried putting it in the wrong way and it was just a little off like that. That may have been the optical bays though.. Can't remember.

Cabbs, did it come like that? (I think WiLLiSTER is onto something -- maybe it's not upside down but "clicked" into the wrong holes nonetheless)

I don't think so. I think it's the 2x5.25" HDD bay, it hardly fits and the edges of the front plate get pushed behind it, causing the 3.5" cover to stick out. I might just go back to the standard HDD rack, not sure yet.

yeah, it must be the HDD you have mounted behind it pushing it forward because everyone else's has their floppy bay cover flush with the front panel. It should have been flush when new.

I guess it's time to break out the sand paper.
Dunno .. maybe there's a non-destructive / reversible way of fixing this. Take the 2x5.25" thing out and see if the 3.5" cover can be placed properly. Insert 2x5.25" thing after that.

Mmm forgot how good silver Lian Li cases look. Really want to choose my next case to be something other than black. Is that extra fan frame on your CPU heatsink there purely for supporting the Gentle Typhoons since they don't work well with the fan clips or is there any real benefit for creating a gap between the fan and heatsink?

Mmm forgot how good silver Lian Li cases look. Really want to choose my next case to be something other than black. Is that extra fan frame on your CPU heatsink there purely for supporting the Gentle Typhoons since they don't work well with the fan clips or is there any real benefit for creating a gap between the fan and heatsink?

The picture (IMO) has been digitally altered to show less color. Silver case does look great in it, but might not fit as well with a more colorful environment.

why dont you take out the mesh piece if possible and stick back in the stock bay covers if possible unless you want the vents
then but the lian li mesh cover thingies?

Just tried this and it does in fact work, but it's still not lined up. Starting to think something is bent.

The picture (IMO) has been digitally altered to show less color. Silver case does look great in it, but might not fit as well with a more colorful environment.

I dropped saturation quite a bit. I think it looks good sitting on my desk, but a black case would fit better with the two receivers sitting next to it.

I dropped saturation quite a bit. I think it looks good sitting on my desk, but a black case would fit better with the two receivers sitting next to it.

I was wondering why my 2 silver Lian Li cases didn't look as good as yours lol.

Heads up for anyone installing an HD6950 into one of these cases. I have a HIS brand card I was attempting to install in my new SB build and was having a hell of a time getting the mounting holes in the backplate of the card to line up with the slots in my pc-a05nb case. I was forcing the little fucker and did manage to get it in but then came to realize there are two tiny screws sticking out of the back of the HD6950 that hit the odd shaped cut outs in the expansion slots in this case. Easily solved by using a flat file to remove some material from the case but would have saved me a ton of time if I knew what was happening from the start. I will try to get a picture of what I mean up later in case my words are not getting my point across.
TtC9Q.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that's why my 4890s are such a bitch to get lined up right... I've never looked for any screws / other protrusions. I always assumed it was just a slightly warped second-hand case. That, or Sapphire couldn't make anything to spec to save their sorry asses. Either is believable.

Back