I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Some very cool stuff going on in here...

My A05NB sides rattle a bit sometimes... touching them stops it,

Anyone else had this trouble and found a solution?

You can bend some of the tabs on the side covers and or put some thin foam on areas of contact / rattling. I did the former.

finally done with my brothers A05. Took longer than expected since a few things had to be purchased to make it 100% functional.

here are the pics:

dsc04707g.jpg

dsc04710a.jpg

dsc04714k.jpg

dsc04724cd.jpg

so basically modded a 120mm blow hole up top and also a cut out behind the CPU for easy HSF removal.

I gave him an extra C-01B drive bay cover that I had lying around to keep the cleanliness intact. I don't like the fan controller at all since the LED are very distracting and bright.

Specs:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Core i7 930 @ 4.2ghz
ATI HD 5850
12GB DDR3 1600
128GB G Skill SSD
4TB of HDD
Venomous X HSF

Last edited:
Finished!!!

IMAG1143.jpg

IMAG1137.jpg

Need to adjust the wiring a bit but and waiting on the GTX 480 I bought from a member here otherwise done....:D

Last edited:
finally done with my brothers A05. Took longer than expected since a few things need to be purchased to make it 100% functional.

Specs:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Core i7 930 @ 4.2ghz
ATI HD 5850
12GB DDR3 1600
128GB G Skill SSD
4TB of HDD
Venomous X HSF

Haha damn that's a really nice build for your brother. I just gave my brother my old computer which I guess could be better than mine but utilizes older technology.

Finished!!!

Need to adjust the wiring a bit but and waiting on the GTX 480 I bought from a member here otherwise done....:D

Looks nice!

How do you guys feel about have hard drives attached directly to the bottom of the case? there is not enough room for any sort of grommets, I have really thick rubber feet from mnpctech so vibration wise everything should be ok. The thing that I am worried about is harming the drives with static from the rest of the components?

Any comments on the matter would be appriciated.

Finally got my A05N. :D

Got it fully disassembled and will most likely be taking it to get it powder coated black tomorrow. As expected, build quality is top notch.

Looking to mod this case for watercooling. I'm looking to watercool a GTX 580 and an i7 950 o'cd to 4hz or above. Would a XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm rad with 2 pairs of 120mm fans connected on both sides suffice?

Well this is the second time I have this case- this one I bought used of wonSR4 and credit goes to him for the top blowholes- the rest I added :)

I love this case- compact, looks cool and cools really well.

Wiring is much better in person then it appears to be in the pictures.

dsc01064mm.jpg

dsc01065nl.jpg

dsc01066ih.jpg

dsc0107001.jpg

dsc01072t.jpg

dsc01073c.jpg

dsc01074p.jpg

that looks awesome! really clean and powerful.

you must be getting epic temps as well. venomous x + 2 38mm fans + reverse air flow = lowest possible temps on air cooling.

shit I bet that'd rival some peoples custom loops.

you must be getting epic temps as well. venomous x + 2 38mm fans + reverse air flow = lowest possible temps on air cooling.

Man I hope you guys with the veno's don't cripple your socket, that thing is dangerous.

haddij404- appreciate the great comment/compliment- feels really great coming from the mastermind of this case :cool:

Temps are really awesome- with both fans at 7V which is not loud at all the highest core goes up to 67C @ 4000 mhz @ 1.3V in BIOS.

Well this is the second time I have this case- this one I bought used of wonSR4 and credit goes to him for the top blowholes- the rest I added :)

I love this case- compact, looks cool and cools really well.

Wiring is much better in person then it appears to be in the pictures.

Glad to see you're treating my former case with great care haha :) It looks great!

im considering buying this case for a new build, is it sturdy?

its either this case or a antec p180.

It's sturdy enough (made of aluminum) but the antec p180 (made of steel) is more sturdy for sure because of the difference in materials used.

It's sturdy enough (made of aluminum) but the antec p180 (made of steel) is more sturdy for sure because of the difference in materials used.

A P180 is a much different case -- I've owned both and prefer the A05, but it's all about what you want to do with it. The P180 does better with cooling as it comes, and there are more fan mounting positions without having to buy conversion brackets or replacement top panels like with the A05. There's a little more space to work in the P180, too. That said, the layout of the A05 is arguably better and more efficient so far as cooling. Tweaking it can be fun as well.

Strength-wise, both are plenty strong. If you're going to sit on it, get the P180. If you're just worried about it holding all your stuff without issue, both are fine.

A P180 is a much different case -- I've owned both and prefer the A05, but it's all about what you want to do with it. The P180 does better with cooling as it comes, and there are more fan mounting positions. There's a little more space to work in it, too. That said, the layout of the A05 is arguably better and more efficient so far as cooling. Tweaking it can be fun as well.

Strength-wise, both are plenty strong. If you're going to sit on it, get the P180. If you're just worried about it holding all your stuff without issue, both are fine.

Yeah I've owned both too. The P180 is also quieter. And just like you, I prefer the A05 more. Then again, I also won't buy anything but aluminum cases now :eek:

A P180 is a much different case -- I've owned both and prefer the A05, but it's all about what you want to do with it. The P180 does better with cooling as it comes, and there are more fan mounting positions without having to buy conversion brackets or replacement top panels like with the A05. There's a little more space to work in the P180, too. That said, the layout of the A05 is arguably better and more efficient so far as cooling. Tweaking it can be fun as well.

Yeah I've owned both too. The P180 is also quieter. And just like you, I prefer the A05 more. Then again, I also won't buy anything but aluminum cases now :eek:

Agreed +1

I love my A05 and just ordered 2 more for a couple more builds.

A05 FTW!!!

You lucky people getting to buy multiple A05s! There are still NONE of these cases in the UK.

Let me know and I will send you one.

Well my contact at Scan tells me they're stuck in customs, so I know the cases have at least reached the beaches! They've been there for weeks apparently.

If I get in a pickle I'll PM you :)

The length (depth) of the case is 460mm. There's a frame structure that eats up about 15mm on the back (not on the front, b/c of the externally accessible bays) ... + stuff can sick out by about 20mm to the front (beyond the frame) and still allow for the front panel to fit properly ... so, perhaps, you can stick a 3.5" HDD in there, if you put it so that the connector side is toward the sidewall (and not back as people put them usually). It'll be tough to wire an HDD in there ... and, most likely, there will be a better spot (e.g., the bottom of the case).

What kind of build do you have in mind?

The length (depth) of the case is 460mm. There's a frame structure that eats up about 15mm on the back (not on the front, b/c of the externally accessible bays) ... + stuff can sick out by about 20mm to the front (beyond the frame) and still allow for the front panel to fit properly ... so, perhaps, you can stick a 3.5" HDD in there, if you put it so that the connector side is toward the sidewall (and not back as people put them usually). It'll be tough to wire an HDD in there ... and, most likely, there will be a better spot (e.g., the bottom of the case).

What kind of build do you have in mind?

well i hate the top io piece and lian li hasn't gotten back to me on an oem panel with no i/o

so i was thinking of maybe a 3x120 or something of that sort, not water cooling though

i only play to use 1x ssd, 1x dvd drive, 1x hd, so switching the ssd and hd is also possible

like this
basically like that but not backwards (this was the t60 or something)

So, why are you trying to squeeze that HDD up there? What's wrong with putting it into the HDD cage (since you're not putting a reservoir or a pump in there)? If you absolutely must remove the HDD cage, you can still put 3.5" HDD into the externally accessible 3.5 bay, and use Lian-Li EX533 to put 1 slim ODD and up to 2 SSDs into the lower 5.25" bay.

So, why are you trying to squeeze that HDD up there? What's wrong with putting it into the HDD cage (since you're not putting a reservoir or a pump in there)? If you absolutely must remove the HDD cage, you can still put 3.5" HDD into the externally accessible 3.5 bay, and use Lian-Li EX533 to put 1 slim ODD and up to 2 SSDs into the lower 5.25" bay.

i was basically afraid the hd would rattle the whole cage if i chucked it in the 3.5 area so want to have it in the 5.25

not going to use the hd cage since with only those 3, i can arrange it as ssd, dvd, and then hd

Rattle? Are you one of those who suspends and HDD with some rubber bands? A05N utilizes rubber mounts ... so there's no rattle. I have 5 HDDs in this case and there's no rattle .. just put some rubber feet on the case instead of those hard plastic ones it comes with.

Rattle? Are you one of those who suspends and HDD with some rubber bands? A05N utilizes rubber mounts ... so there's no rattle. I have 5 HDDs in this case and there's no rattle .. just put some rubber feet on the case instead of those hard plastic ones it comes with.

i meant if i put the hd in the 3.5 floppy drive thing area

i was basically afraid the hd would rattle the whole cage if i chucked it in the 3.5 area so want to have it in the 5.25

not going to use the hd cage since with only those 3, i can arrange it as ssd, dvd, and then hd

I would never think of mounting a mechanical drive directly to a chassis either, the reverberation alone would drive me insane. If you use a hard drive adapter in the top 5.25" drive make sure it is level with the mounting holes and doesn't raise the drive any further (I use the Nexus DoubleTwin and has optional mounting holes I chose to use that nearly puts the drive against the top panel). Otherwise your setup should be fine as I even thought of using a 3x120 setup for the top panel.

I would never think of mounting a mechanical drive directly to a chassis either, the reverberation alone would drive me insane. If you use a hard drive adapter in the top 5.25" drive make sure it is level with the mounting holes and doesn't raise the drive any further (I use the Nexus DoubleTwin and has optional mounting holes I chose to use that nearly puts the drive against the top panel). Otherwise your setup should be fine as I even thought of using a 3x120 setup for the top panel.

I have built and modded around 5 of these cases all with there hard-drive mounted in the 3.5 floppy mount and not one of them have had any type of vibration "rattle". When I mount them I use nylon washers and Allen type button screws. I have used 1 TB blacks and Raptor drives alike and in the end dead silent builds.

In the end try it if you somehow end up with noise that you just can not stand remount them with rubber mounted screws.

I have also drilled and mounted silicon rubber mounts that have a screw that comes up through the mount and bolts to the bottom of the hard-drive instead of the side. I have pictures of this also.

And as mentioned above change the case feet and you will be very surprised.

If needed I have build-log pictures to help with the fan spacing and the hard-drives. Just PM me.

I've also changed the worthless hard plastic feet the A05N comes with with Lian Li rubber feet and even though they made a worlds difference in nose and isolating vibration so it doesn't travel through my desk, I can still hear and feel my WD Caviar Black humming throughout the chassis when fitted to the HD cage so I definitely wouldn't like the hard drive mated to bare metal. With the Nexus 5.25" adapter all I hear are the clicks from activity which is acceptable. I guess I'm just that anal about noise.

Never said mount to bare matal I said I use nylon or rubber mounted screws. But if your that worried about noise, I would suggest moving your system away from you. I think the noise of the activity is just as bad. LOL

Haha yeah it seems impossible to totally eliminate the activity noise without totally isolating your hard drive in those crazy kits. Even then I'm not entirely sure how effective those are. Some day I'll have nothing but SSDs...some day!

is there someone with the case with 2 different size vandals one 22 and the other 19 or 16 (cant remember)

what size fits in the power button one?

22 or 21 (Lamptron one) will fit perfectly with no drilling required- the reset button 17mm I believe does require some drilling.

dsc01064mm.jpg

Dang Lian Li never lets you down when it comes to quality! I was really debating on a few of their full towers, they just look so smoooooth

Back