I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Wow. Turned off the 140mm fan on the top plate out of curiosity. Idle temps jump a full 10C for the CPU and 8C for the GPU (mid 30s to mid 40s for both). I didn't think it would be that much since the top plate's fan bracket wasn't blocked and air could still escape. Sure glad I found that last top at FrozenCPU after I ordered my case. Wouldn't want to know how bad it would be with the stock closed top.

I saw a fully internal watercooled A05 on RRTech. Might want to check it out?
The problem with that is that the thickness of the radiator and fans starts to overlap a few of the pci-e slots. And how do you install a balanced handle to carry it if you're cutting a hole for the rad on the top? Hello? You can't easily fit a triple rad inside an A05b and a double rad doesn't cool as well as a triple. I just don't get how you jump to that conclusion when my plans were quite obvious that its not going to be internal, after I installed everything.

The problem with that is that the thickness of the radiator and fans starts to overlap a few of the pci-e slots. And how do you install a balanced handle to carry it if you're cutting a hole for the rad on the top? Hello? You can't easily fit a triple rad inside an A05b and a double rad doesn't cool as well as a triple. I just don't get how you jump to that conclusion when my plans were quite obvious that its not going to be internal, after I installed everything.

The handle isn't that important for most people, you can just use straps if you really want to carry it around.

I could easily install a triple in my A05NB, but that is because I have no optical drives and don't see any need for having one.

Any other sources for the top panel? Finding one has turned impossible. Newegg sold out so quickly. Do they usually take months to restock?

Any other sources for the top panel? Finding one has turned impossible. Newegg sold out so quickly. Do they usually take months to restock?

Not at this time, I have tried since the day they went out of stock.
First I emailed Lian Li's general email boxes, and everything I sent bounced saying the mailboxes were full.

Then I was given a direct contact for someone at Lian Li in China from a forum member, and we exchanged several emails.
The Lian Li rep claimed that Newegg would have more of them on April 25th (which they didn't) and Newegg still shows the part as inactive.
He gave me the names of all the Lian Li distributors in USA, but they don't have the panel, and even if they did, distributors don't sell to end-users!

He then asked me to contact Newegg to confirm that they would stock it, but nobody at Newegg that a consumer can contact has a clue about
anything that is not currently in stock.

It is possible that the panels are in the USA now stuck in customs, but who knows?

Meanwhile, Newegg's April sale on the A05NB end's at midnite Pacific time, and I am about to give up on this case completely.
People have griped about Antec's customer service in the past, but the Antec support I have experienced puts Lian Li's to shame,
based on what I have experienced in the past weeks. I had a Lian Li PC-60 years ago, but never needed any support for it.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=130_387

This place seems to have the T-LM14B-2 in stock for $39.95 (which is what I paid at FrozenCPU.com). Kind of steep and with small companies I'm always concerned they don't update their stock on the website well. That price was worth it to me to get the case and top I wanted.

Thanks!
I just ordered the case and the top from them, with special instructions to not process the order unless it is complete! That seemed better than saving a little on the case from Newegg and maybe not getting the top. Also, maybe Performance PCS double-boxes their cases, unlike Newegg?

I did notice that Performance PCS was out of stock on the top cover a few weeks ago, so maybe they actually do have it.

Last edited:
More like twice the price, but I understand your point. It is about $15 more than Newegg was selling them for (when they still had them). Still, I only needed one case (and have a complete one the way I wanted/needed it - with a 140mm exhaust fan on top).

I'm in Canada too and those other places have ridiculous shipping here while Newegg.ca could ship me anything Newegg.com carried at a decent price. I have no choice but to wait.

For that price...I just went ahead and bought another A05N. For the cost of another top I have another case.

Cheapest A05N is currently $105 shipped.
I added the top on to a case order with some other items and paid
$42 shipped for the top. Definitely NOT the same price as another case!!

Not the end of the world if they actually have the tops in stock.

BTW, Newegg's "April sale" on the A05NB was b.s.
The April sale words have been removed, the price is the same.

Cheapest A05N is currently $105 shipped.
I added the top on to a case order with some other items and paid
$42 shipped for the top. Definitely NOT the same price as another case!!

Not the end of the world if they actually have the tops in stock.

BTW, Newegg's "April sale" on the A05NB was b.s.
The April sale words have been removed, the price is the same.

That $89 price point has always been the same since I bought mine in Oct. It hardly ever changes.

Has anyone with this case added one of these PCI-01A yet?

PCI-01-b.jpg

Thanks!
I just ordered the case and the top from them, with special instructions to not process the order unless it is complete! That seemed better than saving a little on the case from Newegg and maybe not getting the top. Also, maybe Performance PCS double-boxes their cases, unlike Newegg?

I did notice that Performance PCS was out of stock on the top cover a few weeks ago, so maybe they actually do have it.

They actually do have the T-LM14B-2 tops in stock!
My top (and my A05NB shipped today.

I guess I am a member of the A05N club now!!

make sure you fellas post pics when your cases come! we love A05 pr0n and the last few pages have lacked pics.

I also did some experimenting with my case. I switched the top blow holes to intakes to see what would happen. As expected my GPU temps dropped a good 8-10c during gaming but my CPU temps went up 3-4C. Also the front of the case and PSU got really hot as it was only the front fan and PSU acting as exhaust. I switched the fans back to exhaust.

I can't post yet, i still wait for the modder guy to get the case and made the cuts/paints... But at least i received my EVGA P55 board (lost half a hour yesterday because i was troubleshooting why my graphics card doesn't send signal just to find out i didn't plug in the 8-pin extension to the motherboard), and while putting the EVGA back to my big LL (PC-V1110A), i tried the Lian Li TS-02B motherboard thumbscrews - they are awesome thing, nice black and seriously better to use than the standard screws. Lian Li PI-01B (black PCI-E covers) and TS-01B (black Lian Li thumbscrews) are waiting too :D.

So far all i have from the modder guy is the project page (he gave it the name, don't look at me why this) :
http://www.stoobimodding.com/lianli_black_beast.html

Should have it by the end of the month, hopefully.

They actually do have the T-LM14B-2 tops in stock!
My top (and my A05NB shipped today.

I guess I am a member of the A05N club now!!

Cool! Mine set to exhaust makes all the difference with temps (about 10C cooler idle and load). Enjoy! :)

I was always planning on mine being intake instead of exhaust but I can't even get a lid right now.

The reason it would be intake for me is that I want to create positive pressure as all intake fans are filtered so if the case is pressurized, air will escape out all the openings and therefore keep dust out.

I finally got around to making one of the most useful mods for this case; a CPU bracket cut out. This will make switching out HSFs so much easier. It was pretty easy to do. Stuck a marker through the four HSF holes to mark where the bracket would sit. got a rough idea and then measured a 1/4" around each mark and went to work with my dremel. Came out pretty nice IMO. Not pro by any means but good enough for me.

Gratuitous shot of all my hardware waiting to be cleaned and reinstalled :eek:

dsc02192n.jpg

here is the cut out before I reassembled the PC. Looks so naked and ugly LOL

dsc02196zr.jpg

Here it is with the HSF installed.

dsc02216g.jpg

and this is how you manage your wires :D so ugly but so useful for tucking all useless wires in there

dsc02214m.jpg

and finally the finished project

dsc02218nq.jpg

Also - my fan controller and optical drive died within 2 days of each other. So I am using the mobo headers to control the fan speeds and its working pretty well so far. Fans spin up during load but stay silent otherwise. I think I like it better without a fan controller TBH... but I still RMA'd it so might just sell it when it comes back.

I find routing the SATA power headers to be a little awkward. Is there any reason I can't mount a hard drive upside down? I don't think it should wear on the motor. My SDD should certainly have no trouble. ;)

The screws go in the bottom half of the drive so you may have an issue using the bottom slot on the rack (think I tried it before and it didn't clear), but I believe the other two fit. I could be wrong though, last time I tried that was about 4 years ago :p
Pics of mine now that it's close to its final stage. Have a few things to do (swap ide to sata, sound card, modular psu, paint case), but money is short and I have other priorities right now.
Red tinting is from my pinky being over the flash so it wouldn't be too intense.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one cable management challenged. ;) If I wasn't so pleased with my PC Power and Cooling 750W I'd ditch it for a modular. What a mess back there.

Could someone please tell me the shape of the LEDs on the front panel for the PCA05NB? In some pictures I see oval LEDs and on NewEgg and other pictures I see circle LEDs. I assume this is a difference between the NB and B.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me the shape of the LEDs on the front panel for the PCA05NB? In some pictures I see oval LEDs and on NewEgg and other pictures I see circle LEDs. I assume this is a difference between the NB and B.

Thanks.

Yes, A05N has round light guides, the older A05 had oval light guides. I like the round ones a lot better

does anyone know if the bs06 140mm cooler fits the a05?

Yes I have one. I would recommend it for exhaust rather than intake however as the cover is made of aluminum which heats up inside your case as it's quite heat conductive so if you are using it to blow cool air onto your videocard, it is actually usually a bit warm. I wish the BS-06 was plastic!

dscf2153y.jpg

The handle isn't that important for most people, you can just use straps if you really want to carry it around.

I could easily install a triple in my A05NB, but that is because I have no optical drives and don't see any need for having one.
Quite possibly the worst feedback I've seen.

What do you mean you can easily install a triple, but you can't because you have no optical drives? You don't even look like you're watercooled. Its not the CDROM in the way, the rad + fans is going to overlap parts of the PCI/PCI-e slots that you know, I could need? I am not going the MATX route. Triple rads are the best performance for their size.

Secondly, straps aren't a part of the case. I need something permanent. Plus I already installed the handle before I considered watercooling so the install is there to stay. A handle not being important to most people is an opinion, what do you know? I carry my case around a lot. This is a LAN case. Thats like me saying "why would you need a giant fan controller that wastes two CDROM bays, when you could just use a 3.5'' fan controller bay with knobs, and that doesn't go BEEP BEEP BEEP because something is slow, and just have a good memory in your head of what sound levels the knobs are set to instead of having digital presets.

A radiator mounted on top is only adding 3.75 inches on the top, its not making it a full tower by any means.

I thought this thread was for showing modifications and ideas, not for someone telling me how to implement massive changes after I already did all the work. I feel its just a bit insulting for someone to tell me to look at another thread of another forum and to "might look into that?" after I just completed installing my watercoolling? When and what did I ask about what Ironruler posted?

I just sent out the top panel USB and audio ports part out to someone in this thread for almost no profit, I'm here to help around, not undo all my work cause someone thinks they know of some other brilliant idea that they didn't think of themselves, nor even have the abilities to do that modification.

Last edited:
here is the cut out before I reassembled the PC. Looks so naked and ugly LOL

dsc02196zr.jpg

Here it is with the HSF installed.

and this is how you manage your wires :D so ugly but so useful for tucking all useless wires in there

dsc02214m.jpg

and finally the finished project
Nice cuts I like the rounded oval at the bottom. What tool did you use to make such an even cut? Also if you don't mind redoing some of the work, I would make the hole a bit wider since a motherboard change might actually shift the position of the CPU location. You never know how the next motherboard architecture will affect the layout of the placement of the CPU and northbridge. This is exactly what happened to me when I switched from a 775 to a 1366 socket. The CPU moved a few inches to the side, and the northbridge mounting mechanism had a bar on it. The CPU backplate didn't fit there anymore. So I said fuck it, I pulled everything out and cut a wider cut for the CPU back plate including the mosfet heatsink pins around it, the north bridge position also changed in the back. So then I even proceeded to cut the south bridge part out too. Once you're already there, just go big or go home! :p It won't hurt the structural rigidity of the motherboard back plate that much, not much flexing once all the screws are in place.

The other thing about wires, I hated tucking them all back there, so I'm taking an ATX crimp tool and gonna actually cut and crimp the PSU wires to make them the exact length they have to be. The 24 pin ATX power cable to the motherboard will be like 6 inches long and it will be in the Lian li for the duration for its life. I'm willing to do the mod.

This was with a Socket 775 motherboard. . This was after.

You never know, you might not ever need to get to the back of the mother board for those areas but if you do... then you gotta redo it all and you were there once before ya know? Just sayin... Oh yeah, you might want to sand those edges as they look kinda sharp and a flake of aluminum could come in contact w/ the back of the motherboard. Do you have a secondary cordless dremel with a sanding drum bit? Thats how I touched up my cuts, I have one corded dremel for torque cuts with the fiberglass wheels, and a weaker, cordless one I hold like a pencil and smoothed out the rough edges after cutting.

Does anyone know where I can find 4 inch Sata rounded cables? NOT ribbon style like I have right now. Also I put the SSD's where most people hide all the wiring slack, I like to hide it in there. That way you can actually still put large mechanical storage in there at some point or water reservoirs.

Last edited:

Nice build. I have a similar configuration, though not in this case. Is it acceptable to orient your CPU fan the way you have? I had to do the same thing with mine. The fan sucks air through the heatsink, and right next to it the rear case fan is doing the same thing. The fan is intended to be on the same side as the memory, but the memory slots are too close on my Gigabyte x58 ud7.

afaik the fan on the HSF is pushing air through. Its a rear intake so it makes sense to have the fan on that side of HSF.

in my experience push>pull

Nice cuts I like the rounded oval at the bottom. What tool did you use to make such an even cut? Also if you don't mind redoing some of the work, I would make the hole a bit wider since a motherboard change might actually shift the position of the CPU location.

thanks man.

I didn't make the oval cut out at the bottom. It was like that on the case when I got it. I think the A05b had two different versions. One with the "vents" on the back side of the CPU and one without. And yes you are right about the changing of the CPU location but I figured I am gonna have the RIIE for a long time so no need in the foreseeable future.

Quite possibly the worst feedback I've seen.

What do you mean you can easily install a triple, but you can't because you have no optical drives? You don't even look like you're watercooled. Its not the CDROM in the way, the rad + fans is going to overlap parts of the PCI/PCI-e slots that you know, I could need? I am not going the MATX route. Triple rads are the best performance for their size.

Secondly, straps aren't a part of the case. I need something permanent. Plus I already installed the handle before I considered watercooling so the install is there to stay. A handle not being important to most people is an opinion, what do you know? I carry my case around a lot. This is a LAN case. Thats like me saying "why would you need a giant fan controller that wastes two CDROM bays, when you could just use a 3.5'' fan controller bay with knobs, and that doesn't go BEEP BEEP BEEP because something is slow, and just have a good memory in your head of what sound levels the knobs are set to instead of having digital presets.

A radiator mounted on top is only adding 3.75 inches on the top, its not making it a full tower by any means.

I thought this thread was for showing modifications and ideas, not for someone telling me how to implement massive changes after I already did all the work. I feel its just a bit insulting for someone to tell me to look at another thread of another forum and to "might look into that?" after I just completed installing my watercoolling? When and what did I ask about what Ironruler posted?

I just sent out the top panel USB and audio ports part out to someone in this thread for almost no profit, I'm here to help around, not undo all my work cause someone thinks they know of some other brilliant idea that they didn't think of themselves, nor even have the abilities to do that modification.

Whoa, chill out dude. None of that was a critique against your system. You seem to be very uptight to others and very defensive in your posts for some reason. Relax man.

Moocow said:
And how do you install a balanced handle to carry it if you're cutting a hole for the rad on the top? Hello? You can't easily fit a triple rad inside an A05b and a double rad doesn't cool as well as a triple. I just don't get how you jump to that conclusion when my plans were quite obvious that its not going to be internal, after I installed everything.

You can fit a triple rad if you move it to the very front over the optical bays. I have space above my board where it won't interfere with any components. You were attacking that guy for his question about the handle and rad. I was merely offering an opinion that many people use straps versus handles as a solution to your asking him "how do you install a balaned handle to carry it?".

Spare-Flair said:

The "I don't see a need for one" is a reference to not seeing a need for an optical drive, not watercooling. I was not criticizing your system. You need to calm down. We are all A05 lovers here who make our own choices and are happy to see variation and innovation. There is no need to be so defensive against everyone. The discussion in this thread about handles and radiations and blowholes and lids are general ideas for everyone as everyone sees each others cases and gathers ideas for their own. Discussion does not revolve around one setup only. All opinons or constructive criticism are usually about floating ideas in general, ie: handles vs. straps. There is no need to take it so personally. No one is telling you to implement any changes and even if they did, there is no reason for you to listen to them. In the end, the only opinion that matters regarding your own system is your own opinion.

Last edited:
afaik the fan on the HSF is pushing air through. Its a rear intake so it makes sense to have the fan on that side of HSF.

in my experience push>pull

Correct! I was going to throw another fan on the other side but didn't for two reasons.
1: I didn't have another fan, nor did I have fan clips.
2: I don't really think I need it at this point.

Back