I got bored...so I loaded Suse on my new quad

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
So what could be better than doing a network install (over the internet) of 64-bit Suse 10.3 on a new Q6600-equipped shuttle sp35p2pro?

Yes I'm a relative noob when it comes to linux,
yes drivers can be a PITA on proprietary hardware
yes a network install isn't the best way for a noob to do an install, doing it from an internet repository doesn't make it easier. But I didn't have enough CDRs at the office to do a CD install.

...and yes it is folding, dunno what else it can do, but it seems to fold fine. ;)

Yes, I know I could have just run from a CD or thumbdrive with a preconfigured distro, but where's the fun it that?

To be honest, even though it seems like I picked a "designed to be trouble" install it was painless and suprisingly easy, although definately slow. (Took 6 hours to download the distro, addins and patches)

Am I a guru now? ;)

that's relic with a lower case "r"
I never earned the capital. ;)

I got bored...so I loaded Suse on my new quad !!!

Am I a guru now?

;)

Wow!

Sounds really nasty to me! Dang! Guru? Sure! ;)

Is Suse your mistress, girlfriend, or your wife?

Wifey's so [H]ot I don't want a mistress.
I'm sure she'll come to the next [H]ard swap meet.....tradition has it in O[H]io...who's game?

that's relic with a lower case "r"
I never earned the capital. ;)

Its high time we fix this travesty of justice. I hereby call for a movement to get relic his "R"

And welcome to the dark side relic. Once you go linux you never go back, or something like that.

So what could be better than doing a network install (over the internet) of 64-bit Suse 10.3 on a new Q6600-equipped shuttle sp35p2pro?

Yes I'm a relative noob when it comes to linux,
yes drivers can be a PITA on proprietary hardware
yes a network install isn't the best way for a noob to do an install, doing it from an internet repository doesn't make it easier. But I didn't have enough CDRs at the office to do a CD install.

...and yes it is folding, dunno what else it can do, but it seems to fold fine. ;)

Yes, I know I could have just run from a CD or thumbdrive with a preconfigured distro, but where's the fun it that?

To be honest, even though it seems like I picked a "designed to be trouble" install it was painless and suprisingly easy, although definately slow. (Took 6 hours to download the distro, addins and patches)

Am I a guru now? ;)

Six hours? Ouch! :eek:

Glad I have a DVD burner and a decent net connection. Usually doesn't take me much time to download the DVD ISO even if it is a bit under 4 gig if I remember correctly. Download DVD, burn ISO, install openSUSE, download all the updates and I still clock in at less time.

relic, you really need to work on your Linux installs as you are taking too long. :p Of course, it would probably help if you had some alcohol in you before you start. I know it helps me. :cool:

Six hours? Ouch! :eek:

Glad I have a DVD burner and a decent net connection. Usually doesn't take me much time to download the DVD ISO even if it is a bit under 4 gig if I remember correctly. Download DVD, burn ISO, install openSUSE, download all the updates and I still clock in at less time.

relic, you really need to work on your Linux installs as you are taking too long. :p Of course, it would probably help if you had some alcohol in you before you start. I know it helps me. :cool:

Hehe, I have a 10MB layer 2 fiber connection.
The servers are all bandwidth restricted. If you know of an unrestricted mirror, please share. ;)

Hehe, I have a 10MB layer 2 fiber connection.
The servers are all bandwidth restricted. If you know of an unrestricted mirror, please share. ;)

I normally use torrents for my downloads of Linux OSes just because I'm nice that way. I usually max out my 8 mbit connection doing it. I did download openSUSE from either http or ftp one time and I was close to maxing out my connection so I'm not sure what your problem was. I think it was just you. :p

I normally use torrents for my downloads of Linux OSes just because I'm nice that way. I usually max out my 8 mbit connection doing it. I did download openSUSE from either http or ftp one time and I was close to maxing out my connection so I'm not sure what your problem was. I think it was just you. :p

I won't use torrents until they ban stolen software. ;)
I don't support thieves.

Sorry to say I downloaded directly from the openSUSE.org website, after cancelling serveral horribly US slow mirrors.....Slower that MS updates by an order of magnitude, but still pretty cool software.

I won't use torrents until they ban stolen software. ;)
I don't support thieves.

Sorry to say I downloaded directly from the openSUSE.org website, after cancelling serveral horribly US slow mirrors.....Slower that MS updates by an order of magnitude, but still pretty cool software.

Bittorrent is still a useful tool, no matter what some knuckleheads choose to use it for. Its still THE way to grab a linux distro.

And due to its decentralized nature, there is no "they" to ban anything.

Wifey's so [H]ot I don't want a mistress.
I'm sure she'll come to the next [H]ard swap meet.....tradition has it in O[H]io...who's game?

Where in Ohio! I live right on the river on the eastern side of the state.

I'm so down!

Where in Ohio! I live right on the river on the eastern side of the state.

I'm so down!

Does nobody know how to use the user profile feature? :D

And Ohio sucks. That is all. :rolleyes:

Does nobody know how to use the user profile feature? :D

And Ohio sucks. That is all. :rolleyes:

Ohio what?!?

Just because I live 2 miles away from middle of nowhere, there is little else to do but read, watch a Netflix movie, or my wife, and it smells funny (cows and the river) doesn't mean that it sucks.

I'm just glad I don't live in Michigan :p

I have to give a shout out for Ohio. I'm a bit downstream in Cincinnati, thought out-of-state at the moment, trying desperately to finish up my final papers to graduate at the end of the month. But, I just had to buy a quad, and had to install 10 flavors of Linux on it to find the most efficient one, and had to water cool it, and these things had to have a higher priority than my school work all semester.

Despite my present school-related misery, I take nothing back. Computer hardware software is a ton of fun, and I firmly believe I'm applying it to good causes. Folding for cures.

/snip
Am I a guru now? ;)

Mr relic, I hope this question is not completely "off topic" and only in the "gray" areas of the original thread. (at least I am talkin' about Linux :rolleyes:)

I have a E6600 cpu, under water, OC'ed to 3.0 GHz in a GA-G31M-S2L board. It has a full hard drive install of Ubuntu v8.04 64 bit (from a store bought disk). What I was wondering I have no patients at all about waiting on another board, can I simply switch the chips (E6600 to a Q6600) and continue to fold the WU the E6600 was working on? Are there some things that require a computer guru to do (obviously I'm still workin' on bein' a computer guru fledgeling) Then depending on how far I can get the Q6600 to OC' (I just want 3.0 GHz or 3.2 GHz) I might just put the E6600 in the Abit IP35-E board I have comin' by a slow boat from only God knows (grounder shipping) and "pine" away for another Q6600. (always thinkin' more powa')
:p

The above scenario sounds copacetic to me, but then again I don't have your experience or knowledge at folding or of computers. :)

Please anyone give me some advice.

Mr relic, I hope this question is not completely "off topic" and only in the "gray" areas of the original thread. (at least I am talkin' about Linux :rolleyes:)

I have a E6600 cpu, under water, OC'ed to 3.0 GHz in a GA-G31M-S2L board. It has a full hard drive install of Ubuntu v8.04 64 bit (from a store bought disk). What I was wondering I have no patients at all about waiting on another board, can I simply switch the chips (E6600 to a Q6600) and continue to fold the WU the E6600 was working on? Are there some things that require a computer guru to do (obviously I'm still workin' on bein' a computer guru fledgeling) Then depending on how far I can get the Q6600 to OC' (I just want 3.0 GHz or 3.2 GHz) I might just put the E6600 in the Abit IP35-E board I have comin' by a slow boat from only God knows (grounder shipping) and "pine" away for another Q6600. (always thinkin' more powa')
:p

The above scenario sounds copacetic to me, but then again I don't have your experience or knowledge at folding or of computers. :)

Please anyone give me some advice.

You shouldn't see any problems with that. I've moved WU's to completely different computers successfully and Linux is not very picky about hardware changes.

Back