I got BF3 as a present....and rather dislike it..

Do Steam or Origin allow for patches to be downloaded and saved so they can be applied offline later? I like the fact that I can login to Steam on a new pc and download all my owned games, but I don't have a broadband connection everywhere (and even if I do, in many parts of the world its not cheap).

I believe in both systems there is a way easy or not to do this. Origin has an intallation folder which most people delete. Steam allows you to backup the entire content of games so you could backup and save to a disk and not even need to totally install most games just drop the gcf in a new location. Some people who have 56k will go to a friends house with steam and grab the GCFs for games.

Do Steam or Origin allow for patches to be downloaded and saved so they can be applied offline later? I like the fact that I can login to Steam on a new pc and download all my owned games, but I don't have a broadband connection everywhere (and even if I do, in many parts of the world its not cheap).

no.

But the question was do Steam or Origin allow for patches to be downloaded and saved so they can be applied later. The answer to that is "no". They'll download and install them right there and then, often whether you want them to or not.

You can backup entire games, which will include the patches and (hopefully) not require a large download of patches when you go to reinstall them. But you can't save the patches by themselves to apply them later in offline modes.

I'm not sure how it works for Origin though, can you backup entire games easily like you can in Steam to prevent having to download them again later? Not sure, never tried.

Well given the context of the OPs question I do not know why it would matter if you get all technical. He wants to DL somewhere where the internet is fast and probably store the files to DVD or HDD then move them over to his personal computer. And steam has a complete system for that. Other than increased space replacing the GCF is the same as patching and on top of that steam even has in the same menu i described a restore option.

I have no idea what the origin interface is but I know that if you tell origin it will not delete installers which includes patches. You should be able to save those files from the installers folder and move them to a different machine and it should not redownload them.

Well I would say a ton of indy games go on steam. That is one of the cool things about steam unlike the other big publishers they are definitely down with indy games. The thing is if you are starting up and need to deal with piracy and getting your product in the light and delivered it is really easy to integrate with steam which takes care of a ton of that for you. And it is one of the great things about these content distribution systems now it now longer matters if you are small there is still space on the shelf for you.

Yeah, I get that

What I am saying is that there is space on MY shelf for something, say on the graphical level of counterstrike, without all this bullshit.

Torque engine maybe

OK, sorry for all the '.............' I will remember that in future.

Sorry to criticise the game, but I found the whole installation and the extras a bit of a pain in the backside. I just found this new way of installing a game rather different to what I am used to, plus as the game key is locked into my account, I cannot sell or give away the game to someone else.

Many previous games have update patches that remove the need to always have the disc in the drive, and if you look after them, then it is simple to keep the boxes with the game key safe.

Banko, I shall nip outside into the garden and set myself on fire, do you want to come and watch ?, and thanks for your valuable input, since you have taken the time to scan over the posts and then make one yourself.

BF3 is a fine game, and I shall continue to play it, but whether it is a 'must' game to re-install next time I format and install Windows is another matter.

Thanks for all the replies, friendly or otherwise, and I have learned a few things too.:D

If that is directed to me, then I have more problems trying to eat my fish and chips whilst playing the game. :D
I seem to get shot a lot that way.

I don't find this game fun at all. It seems like every game is full of people laying in bushes or rocks camping with long range weapons. It may be more realistic, but not what I call fun.

The campers, combined with the large map size makes it too slow paced for me. It seems that a lot of times NOBODY is trying to actually capture the points.

I don't find this game fun at all. It seems like every game is full of people laying in bushes or rocks camping with long range weapons. It may be more realistic, but not what I call fun.

The campers, combined with the large map size makes it too slow paced for me. It seems that a lot of times NOBODY is trying to actually capture the points.

Yeah, the first games I got a decent KDR are when I finally thought "fuck it" and swapped to a sniper rifle and just killed all the snipers on the other team. And the funny thing, WE were defending, yet there was still so many snipers on the other team I was better off just equipping a sniper rifle myself to kill them all.

Ya it used to be better when the IRNV worked well you could counter those campers by giving up a little accuracy and there were a whole lot less of them because the simple threat of anyone being able to use IRNV made people hide in less stupid places. But hey lets be real BF is all about that kind of play and alot of people think that is what makes the gameplay so "amazing". Once they gimped IRNV it became useless and they all ran back into the bushes.

Ya it used to be better when the IRNV worked well you could counter those campers by giving up a little accuracy and there were a whole lot less of them because the simple threat of anyone being able to use IRNV made people hide in less stupid places. But hey lets be real BF is all about that kind of play and alot of people think that is what makes the gameplay so "amazing". Once they gimped IRNV it became useless and they all ran back into the bushes.

I agree that camping has increased but I learned to adapt. Using cover ALOT more, and scanning the area and checking corners, dark area, just areas that could be used to hide/camp. IRNV was noob mode though because you could scan almost 360 in a few seconds and see everybody in concealment. I stopped using IRNV and use the holo sights now and suppressor on all my weapons.

IRNV still works OK for outdoor maps surprisingly. Dont use it on Metro though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I still don't understand why they made Origin AND Battlelog. You have your friends list in Origin, but you can't actually use it for anything useful like the Steam friends list, you have to first open Battlelog and then use a separate friends list (which I'm still finding cumbersome). Steam, you see a friend start a game "Such and such is now playing..." and you can right click on their name and "join game". Origin has that feature, but it doesn't do anything! You have to go through battlelog and start your separate friends list to join them, and for some reason it always fucks up for me and they end up having to leave the game and we join another one as a party.

I know I'm just bitching and moaning, but fuck, if you're gonna make us install a bunch of extra shit with your game and make us agree to a billion different terms and agreements, at least give the fucking illusion its adding to the game instead of just being a bloody obstacle. "Here's your friends you can chat with! What, you want to actually play with them? Sorry, you have to use a different friends list for that... now you want to chat to them while playing? Sorry, go back to the original friends list as that one uses a better in game interface!".
It's pretty dumb. I also didn't realize that your Origin name would be your BF3 soldier name, so I picked something that I rather would not have. You can change it as many times as you'd like, provided that no one is using the name you want, but its kind of annoying to have both names linked considering that Origin and BF3/Battlelog act as entirely different entities.

I'll give it some time, though. When Steam was first released everyone was complaining about it and it really was pretty terrible, but now everybody loves it.

Back