I got an iPhone 4 - What now?

/rant/

Limp Gawd
Good morning everybody

Last week at work, I got the iPhone 4 as well as the task to mess around with it. Yes, I am getting paid to get to know some Apple products (also got a new 13" MBP) since we plan on developing, but that's another story.

Since I have been using my HTC Desire (rooted and everything...) for quite some time now, I must say that I am not at all impressed by what I have seen so far. There seems to be a lack of fancy, unuseful stuff (I'm thinking about things like Live Wallpapers and ridiculous widgets) - the stuff I like to see. Why have so powerful hardware if you can't put it to use?

Is there anything I need to see that demonstrates how powerful an iPhone 4 is? I can't seem to find anything useful in the AppStore except for news apps. Oh, and by the way: I think the virtual keyboard is really bad - most people have been telling me it was the best they've ever seen. Is it true that you can't replace it?

Not trying to flame here, this is a serious post.

Thanks in advance! :)

Why can't you find useful apps? Could you find any for you android phone that are useful? Have you looked for iOS versions of those?

Try out Skype, Kayak's travel app is good, for the camera look for the panorama apps in which allow you to crop multiple pictures together.

Can't put your powerful hardware to use doing useless things? Hmm, that's a shame.

Try Infinity Blade and Rage HD.

Jail break it and make it useful.

Don't do that. If you're getting paid to research it as a platform, it would probably be more useful to do so from the perspective of a typical consumer who would use the product.

All of the criticisms you've brought up are valid--no customizing the home screen, no replacing the onscreen keyboard, no live wallpapers (though "magically" the battery seems to last for 3 days). That's all part of the platform. When you get an iPhone you are getting a consistent user experience. It's always the same, and it works well enough. Does that work for you, as a consumer? Do you want exactly what Apple gives them and nothing else, or want to have more customizability with a slightly clunkier user experience and (generally) worse battery life. In many ways, it mirrors the PC vs. Mac debate.

I write apps for a living (iPhone and Android) and have used both platforms extensively. There are a lot of things to like about each, and a lot to dislike as well. I lean towards the iPhone as a better product because I feel it is generally more usable and responsive than any Android device I've seen, but obviously there's no nerd glee factor or customizing.

If you want to see what the hardware can do, download Infinity Blade. It uses the Unreal 3 engine and is pretty impressive for such a small device.

Yeah, do NOT upgrade to 4.3 yet. Jailbreak that bitch.

Useful JB Apps:
BrowserChanger (Allows you to change your default browser to something else, like AtomicWeb)
MyWi (Tethering without the charges, there will be some debate here about TetherMe and iTether, I'll let other discuss the merits of each)
ToneFX (Allows you to customize all the system sounds)
SBSettings (Quick access to brightness, 3G, data, etc toggles)
Infinifolders (Unlimited apps in folders)
WeatherIcon (Changes the Icon of the Weather App to update instead of always saying it is sunny and 73 degrees)
AptBackup (Backs up and restores your JB apps)

Useful AppStore Apps:
AtomicWeb
Pandora
DropBox
Epicurious (Only if you cook every now and then, it is great!)
SleepCycle (Cant really recommend this yet, still evaluating it)

Actually, that is pretty much it for me. A few other various Apps, but mostly games. I have more Apps on my iPad.

Don't do that. If you're getting paid to research it as a platform, it would probably be more useful to do so from the perspective of a typical consumer who would use the product.

All of the criticisms you've brought up are valid--no customizing the home screen, no replacing the onscreen keyboard, no live wallpapers (though "magically" the battery seems to last for 3 days). That's all part of the platform. When you get an iPhone you are getting a consistent user experience. It's always the same, and it works well enough. Does that work for you, as a consumer? Do you want exactly what Apple gives them and nothing else, or want to have more customizability with a slightly clunkier user experience and (generally) worse battery life. In many ways, it mirrors the PC vs. Mac debate.

I write apps for a living (iPhone and Android) and have used both platforms extensively. There are a lot of things to like about each, and a lot to dislike as well. I lean towards the iPhone as a better product because I feel it is generally more usable and responsive than any Android device I've seen, but obviously there's no nerd glee factor or customizing.

If you want to see what the hardware can do, download Infinity Blade. It uses the Unreal 3 engine and is pretty impressive for such a small device.

I really have to agree with this.

If you're company is planning on getting into the development aspect of things, jailbreaking it is NOT a good idea. The goal is to figure out how a normal user uses it, and while you're average [H] user will probably jailbreak it, the average user will not.

If you've been using an Android device, look for your favorite apps in the appstore. There's an extremely good chance that they are there, exactly the same (save for differences between iOS and Android).

The iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch keyboard at first is pretty wonky, but it actually adapts to your usage over time. (either that, or I adapted to it, or a bit of both?) After a few days/weeks of using it, I was 2-4x faster then I was at the start. It isn't replaceable IIRC, but it does a pretty good job once you are used to it (and it is used to you!)

Thank you for all your suggestions, I appreciate that.

Some people said I should do a Jailbreak, but I can't do that. Technically, this isn't even my phone, nor does it have my personal SIM in it. If I purchase stuff in the App Store - which I am allowed to do as long as it is reasonable - the credit card bill is paid directly by my company. But if I happen to brick this thing, my boss won't be too happy because I still need it.

Furthermore, I need to get the know the platform as it comes directly from Apple, and how most consumers use it. There is no point in a Jailbreak.

When you get an iPhone you are getting a consistent user experience. It's always the same, and it works well enough. Does that work for you, as a consumer?
Honestly, since I consider myself a power user, no. I am aware that for most people, iOS is probably the best platform on the market, especially paired with such great hardware. Design and simplicity make this platform great. But if you don't like the design, you can't do anything. But with my HTC Desire for example, I grew tired of HTC's keyboard. It suddenly seemed too bright for me (same problem with iOS keyboard - and in fact all of iOS ;)). So one day, I simply installed the stock keyboard from Gingerbread Android 2.3 and was happy ever after.

I guess I am just not an average consumer. And that's okay, I am a software engineer. We're all a bit complicated :D

Anyhow, thank you. I'll be downloading and playing some games now. Work hours are over and I need some fun :p

For iOS games, I religiously read this site:
http://toucharcade.com/

The forums are especially great as many game developers will post their own threads there, trying to get feedback on their games, they've released, or about to release.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/

This thread has a ton of game suggestions:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=23990

But for cutting edge games, I definitely suggest Rage HD and Infinity Blade, however I think the casual game market is still dominant obviously.

As far as non-game apps, try the NyTimes app. It's a well-done news app that doesn't shoehorn a website into an app, but takes advantage of the iOS UI. There's the PBS and NPR apps, too.

For camera apps, try out the 360 Panorama app, which is a pretty neat app that will take pictures of your surrounding every time you shift your view.

I like the AutoStitch app better for actually building panoramic pictures, and I recommend it, but for the geek/neat factor, the 360 Panoroma app is impressive.

Apps I use and enjoy:

ESPN Radio
Alien Blue (if you like reddit)
Pano
PS Express
BofA and ING (banking)
Amazon
Google Mobile
Stanza
iMovie
Netflix

Games:

Bejewled Blitz 2
Words Free
Galcon
Tilt to LIve
Angry Birds
Flight Control
HR Battle
Rage HD
Fruit Ninja
NBA Jam
Cut the Rope
Tiny Wings

Here's 3 sites with a ton of iPhone info.

www.modmyi.com
www.theiphonespot.net
www.tipb.com

They do have a heavy focus on the jailbreaking side of things, but alot of reviews and info on the non-jailbroken side as well.

As far as the keyboard, my friend wanted an actual keyboard and picked up one of these. It's a bluetooth keyboard case. It doesn't add that much bulk, and he loves it.

infinity blade
dead space

shows off the power that a desire cannot match or ever due to the 300+ dpi
dead space looks AMAZING

or Angry Birds/Tiny Wings and such....

Back