I got a new vc and my timing is way off

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
Hey all.

I always thought the faster the better. Well, I beg to differ now.

I play tf2 and with my 7900gs the frames went slower and I could pinpoint a frag. Now ,my 9600gt is so much fastr I am shooting with the demo man all around, in front, the the back, wth?

I'm giving this card back. I'd rather lag.

ty

Uhmmm... you're complaining because you have a more powerful and faster video card now which lets you play the game much faster and smoother, but that's a problem because now you can't play it as well just because it does play faster and smoother?

Ok, we need a poll to vote for this year's "Most Ridiculous Concept For A Thread" entry... :)

My Wife complained about that recently. I upgraded her from a Celeron 430/Intel GMA950 video to a Core 2 Duo E7300/Nvidia 8600GT 512MB setup and she was whining and moaning because when playing D2 things were so fast and smooth she felt like she was relearning how to play the game all over again compared to the laggy performance of the old setup.

I just laughed and said "Not another word..." :D

Uhmmm... you're complaining because you have a more powerful and faster video card now which lets you play the game much faster and smoother, but that's a problem because now you can't play it as well just because it does play faster and smoother?

Ok, we need a poll to vote for this year's "Most Ridiculous Concept For A Thread" entry... :)

My Wife complained about that recently. I upgraded her from a Celeron 430/Intel GMA950 video to a Core 2 Duo E7300/Nvidia 8600GT 512MB setup and she was whining and moaning because when playing D2 things were so fast and smooth she felt like she was relearning how to play the game all over again compared to the laggy performance of the old setup.

I just laughed and said "Not another word..." :D

It's not out of this world to believe that you get used to playing a certain way. Your muscle control becomes accustomed to the lag and you know how and when to move to avoid it. Then you upgrade and things are smooth and more responsive. You literally have to retrain yourself to play the game again. The movements you made before are grossly exaggerated or aren't enough to get where you wanted to be. This goes even in 2D desktop mode. My kids mess with the buttons on my G5 and speed up or slow down my mouse response and it drives me nuts until I fix it. What was a quick flick to get to the File menu now has me clicking the desktop icons. Or I'm clicking a hyperlink instead of the address bar.

OP: Keep the card, learn to play the game again, it should only take a few hours. You'll enjoy it much more afterwards and feel like stabbing your eyes out to go back to the slower card.

Well you pretty much nailed it there buddy.

In an off set kind of humor I really do want my old style back. But you know, times change and I have to be like everyone else I guess.

When I can see the frames go by my eyes one at a time i know where to shoot. Now it's like so many frames I cannot pick which frame to shoot through.

It's not out of this world to believe that you get used to playing a certain way. Your muscle control becomes accustomed to the lag and you know how and when to move to avoid it. Then you upgrade and things are smooth and more responsive. You literally have to retrain yourself to play the game again. The movements you made before are grossly exaggerated or aren't enough to get where you wanted to be. This goes even in 2D desktop mode. My kids mess with the buttons on my G5 and speed up or slow down my mouse response and it drives me nuts until I fix it. What was a quick flick to get to the File menu now has me clicking the desktop icons. Or I'm clicking a hyperlink instead of the address bar.

OP: Keep the card, learn to play the game again, it should only take a few hours. You'll enjoy it much more afterwards and feel like stabbing your eyes out to go back to the slower card.

Nice. I'm keepthing the card for sure. Everything else you got. :D

Hey all.

I play tf2 and with my 7900gs the frames went slower and I could pinpoint a frag. Now ,my 9600gt is so much fastr I am shooting with the demo man all around, in front, the the back, wth?

ty

Theres still ways to lag if you really want to. Pump the AA to ludicrous levels(don't forget AF too!) and mess around with transparency multisampling and/or supersampling.

Also if everything is smoother now, mess with your mouse sensitivity settings a bit. You may have gotten used to mouse lag. Happened to me when I had a Fallout 3 marathon, and that autoaim certainly made it affect me more, and when I went back to playing TF2 and L4D my aim was pure shit.

You're going to have to give your hand time to adjust or just make the game laggy again.

New shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 +fps_max 25

There you go. Enjoy the chop.

Hehe...hey guys for some reason I get really sky high fps now and I get owned left and right. How do I tank my fps back into the shitter so I can spray and pray more?

No but seriosly 9600GT is a great card, once you get used to the smoothness and high avg fps you'll be fragging left and right even more then before with choppy 7900gs.

This.

Being used to playing a certian way is often more beneficial than anything else, our brains are very clever and can compensate for lag and other problems.

It's like picking up a more accurate mouse, who here when opticals were very first released had trouble adapting? I couldn't, way too responsive, but once you got with the much improved accuracy they were obvously a superior gaming controller, it just took a while for your hand/eye coordination to switch over and provide you with

Besides I dont think they'll let you return your video card because it was better than your old one, its like taking a pack of batteries back because they recharged your digital camera, er...

Before I had my 4850, I was using a X1800GTO which seemed to plain not work in DirectX 9.0 mode (crashes). Having forced 8.1 for almost a year made me play under certain graphic conditions. The snipers lens didn't have the sepia hue and lens effect. The pyro's flame wasn't as "spread out" and it was slightly easier to catch the transparency of spies.

I moved to 9.0 a couple months ago, took me about a week to get my skills back (I typically play pyro), but after that my kpd increased above normal, but that's probably attributed more to more consistent performance over the X1800 rather than the IQ enhancements. Catching spies is slightly harder than before but flame spam still works well.

Limit the fps like the poster above said. If its too much eye candy for you, disable the setting along with the frame rate limiter. What ever floats your boat.

Try capping your framerate at 30. You're probably not used to a smooth 60fps gameplay experience.

Or you can spend the week or so getting used to the better faster game play.

If you have a hard time adjusting then you don't seem to have the sharpest set of knives on you.

Give it time.

The long term benefits outweigh the temporary discomfort.

Hey all.

ty

Lol I am jumping from the ati 2600 hd on my laptop to a Nvidia 260. I wonder how its going to affect me! :p

I went through the same thing.

I jumped from a Ati x1600pro @ 1024x768 w/single core processor

to

a Nvidia 8800GTS @ 1680x1050 widescreen w/ new dual core processor.

I sucked in just about every game.
I hated it so much. I felt like the resolution was way too damn big, and the game was so smooth it was hard to get use too.

It took me about 3 or 4 days before I was back on track.

It happened to me during my Q9550 to Core i7 transition in which I used a 9600GT to drive a 30" LCD and when I got my Ci7 stuff it took me about 2-3 days to get used to NOT lagging again.

Fuck this new car...every time I step on the gas it goes FAST. I miss my old Honda. I want to go SLOW.

this is probably the best thread i've read in a while

everything about my new computer is awesome IT SUCKS

HA... that reminds me when I built a box in the mid-90s and broke out Test Drive to see how it would run. After some tinkering with an emulator it loaded but was, um, a bit FASTER than I remembered.

Every 2 seconds I was hitting that damn truck or ramming someone in the rear end :D
Imagine this running about 40 times faster... ah, memories.

You'll get used to it. Try turning down mouse sensitivity/acceleration. Since FPS games usually tie mouse updates to the framerate, you just need to get used to more accuracy. After a few days with the new card you'll be horrified to play with your old card.

Well you pretty much nailed it there buddy.

In an off set kind of humor I really do want my old style back. But you know, times change and I have to be like everyone else I guess.

When I can see the frames go by my eyes one at a time i know where to shoot. Now it's like so many frames I cannot pick which frame to shoot through.

Are you 80yrs old?

I hear Hello Kitty Island Adventure is good.

HA... that reminds me when I built a box in the mid-90s and broke out Test Drive to see how it would run. After some tinkering with an emulator it loaded but was, um, a bit FASTER than I remembered.

Every 2 seconds I was hitting that damn truck or ramming someone in the rear end :D
Imagine this running about 40 times faster... ah, memories.

DUDE!!! I loved that game!
I remember trying TD3 on my P200MMX, after upgrading from a 386*cough* and uhh, yeah.... TREE, CAR, TREE, SIGN. Pretty impossible to play, but quite funny.

shame I cant test it out here, since the key wheel it came with is long gone, but ahhh the memories :D Accolade acutally made some good stuff back in that day.

Back