I got a G0 1.325v VID -- Bad news?

kent

2[H]4U
Topic pretty much says it all.

I got the highest VID out of the B3 and G0. Damned 1.325v.

Installing drivers and updates now...

Outlook not so good..

Though, idle temps are nicely in the mid 30s on an AC7Pro

the default voltage on my 680i for my G0 was around that 1.32v mark. Was still able to hit 3ghz on that voltage without issue. Takes 1.43v to get 3.6Ghz tho.

i got the same vid as you.
running it at 3.0ghz at 1.26v with AC7pro also. temps are under 30 at idle.

i have 1.33 in bios and 1.296 in CPU-Z and i'm doing 9 x 398. dont feel like fine tuning and bumping vcore anymore to get 2 ( x 9) more mhz

VID is 1.2125

i got the same vid as you.
running it at 3.0ghz at 1.26v with AC7pro also. temps are under 30 at idle.

No shit, you undervolted it?

Right now, I've got mine at 2800 (400x7) at 1.325v locked in BIOS (reports 1.312 in Speedfan) and It's been Quad Priming for an hour now.

But seriously, tell me more about what you did to figure out 1.325v was way too high.

I'm also using the AC7, mainly because I bought the wrong 9500 Zalman (universal instead of Intel only) and the clip is blocked by my VRM heatsinks, didn't want to orientate it downwards so I gave up.

Temps right now are 61/59/59/61. I've got an undervolted Zalman 120mm intake (may swap it out for a Silverstone I have for more CFM with equal noise, I hope), side 92mm intake, 120mm zalman exhaust and of course the 120mm corsair PSU fan

Updated sig with specs, if anyone was curious. The guts of the case are an Antec clone.

Removed the PCI lockers and the side vent (duh, AC7 is tallish) and put a 92mm Scythe 22dBa fan there as an intake. Good idea or no?

No shit, you undervolted it?

Right now, I've got mine at 2800 (400x7) at 1.325v locked in BIOS (reports 1.312 in Speedfan) and It's been Quad Priming for an hour now.

But seriously, tell me more about what you did to figure out 1.325v was way too high.

I'm also using the AC7, mainly because I bought the wrong 9500 Zalman (universal instead of Intel only) and the clip is blocked by my VRM heatsinks, didn't want to orientate it downwards so I gave up.

Temps right now are 61/59/59/61. I've got an undervolted Zalman 120mm intake (may swap it out for a Silverstone I have for more CFM with equal noise, I hope), side 92mm intake, 120mm zalman exhaust and of course the 120mm corsair PSU fan

Bump for response from psylocke

A high VID is not necessarily bad news. Many people believe that a lower VID chip will have a higher OC headroom than a higher VID chip, and while the data posted on this and other forums seems to support some sort of a correlation, there is no hard scientific data, and there are certainly a lot of exceptions.

At most, one can expect a lower VID chip to reach a given speed at a lower voltage than a higher VID chip. However, there are other factors which will effect your OC potential. Your chip, for example, may have better thermal characteristics than others, such that your chip running at 3.6ghz with a vCore of 1.48 may match the temperatures of a lower VID chip running at 3.6ghz with a vCore of 1.38. Alternatively, some have pointed out that while it takes more voltage to get high OCs form high VID chips, the max OC obtainable at a reasonably safe voltage is higher than that of lower VID chips. One 1.325 L737B for example hit a stable 4ghz under 1.55v, which is most impressive.

It's been Quad Priming for 9 hours now. Temps haven't budged one bit.

Idle temp, with Speedfan making my case pretty silent, are in the high 30s and low 40s (depending on core)

At 12:30, which will be the 12 hour mark, I plan to bump the FSB up to around 430ish to hit 3.0GHz and we'll Prime for 12 hours at that mark.

The RAM can handle it, I've had it at at almost 900MHz with stock voltage (2.1v). They're D9s afterall.

I had an E6400 @ 3.4GHz on 1.41v before this, but that was in an Antec 900 case which I found to be far too dusty so I've lost some of my cooling power.

I also ordered the wrong Zalman 9500, I ordered the Universal model which uses AMD style clips to attach and the Gigabyte pipe was blocking one the clips. Did not want to orientate the fan upwards. I meant to order the Intel model which attaches to the bracket via two screws.

Kinda angry about that because I don't feel like rebuilding the computer to put the backplate on there so I'll just get an RMA refund.

Kinda angry about that because I don't feel like rebuilding the computer to put the backplate on there so I'll just get an RMA refund.

Ever since the hsf makers started using backplates and bolt-thru designs I've started cutting that part of the motherboard tray out so dismantling the whole computer wasn't necessary to remove the hsf.

kinda makes me wonder why case makers don't start doing that as well. Many of them are making provisions for watercooling, why not that?

Is that at stock speed?

No no. Idle at stock is low 30s on all cores.

I'm at 2.8GHz (400x7) right now at 61/59/59/61.

This is at "stock voltage", not "AUTO", but I manually dialed in my VID into the BIOS (1.325v) and Speedfan/CPU-Z report 1.31something

You have some headroom yet. See how high it can go at stock voltage. You may need to raise a bit for 3.0ghz, and a bit more for 3.2ghz. If you can get it to 3.2ghz stable at under 1.4 vCore (at load) then I would try for 3.6ghz under 1.5, assuming temps stay within reason.

I have my B3 Q6600 OCed to 3GHz at v1.296.
Temps according to coretemp are 40/39/37/30.

3200q6600.JPG

It all worked out in the end. I got what I wanted, 3.2GHz.

Can't go any higher, temps max out at 68C on one of the cores. 65Cish for the other two.

Mine was 1.275 default...

I didn't realize they came at different default voltages...

Back