I freakin' love my 640GB AAKS drives!

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So I've had three of these babies for a about a month and I just have to give another shout out to those people thinking about purchasing one. The 640GB Western Digital "AAKS" drive (WD6400AAKS) is one of the better hardware purchases I've made in years. With my being a die hard Seagate fan it was pretty tough to replace my two 500GB Seagate 7200.11 drives (both of which were RMA'ed replacements for DOAs from Newegg) but I don't regret it one damned bit now.

Not only do these drives make one hell of a boot / o/s drive, but because of their platter density and corresponding speed they make AWESOME drives for video editing and recording. In fact I've recently discovered that I can record realtime 1080P from my games using FRAPS (another $30 well spent!) and these drives take it like a champ. My previous Seagate 7200.11s would cause hitching and dropped frames as they struggled to keep up even with their 32MB cache.

Newegg has a hell of a deal on these right now ($70 shipped) and I think Amazon actually has them for a similar price. If you've been thinking about picking one of these up I encourage you to go for it, you won't be sorry! :)

WD6400AAKS drives are good.

WD6401AALS drives are better, for 10 dollars more :)

Ditto, I recently bought both the 640AAKS and the Seagate 7200.11 640 32MB, the AAKS is the real winner, smooth and FAST!

Cool, I just bought one from Amazon. I've been waiting to see if the price would drop any more but it seems to have leveled off.

I was gonna get a 1 TB drive. I do a lot of video and sound edited. What i want to know his what percentage increase in speed would I see from a 5 platter 1 TB, compared to this 2 platter 640? Is this benefit just superficial like memory timings 5 to 4 heh?

Platter differences are huge, as it would indicate greater areal density.

I don't know what model TB drive you are looking at, but the only "modern" 1TB disk with five platters are the older model Hitachi TB drives with around 200GB x 5 platters = 1TB.

WD Blacks and Spinpoint F1 TB disks are three platters, which obviously make them much faster (and cooler running) alternatives.

Back