I found an old LCD... What should I do with it?

LCD Question:

I've just found an old LCD in my 'pile-O-Parts' (tm), marked 'functional' in my own handwriting. I have _no_ idea wherte its from, but since it's functional, I'd like to try something... It's a Hyundai HT13X12-103, size is 14.1", res is 1024x768.

Now the question is: can one of you tell me if I need a controller, and where to get it, or should I just rip out the backlight (the inverter is on a small external PCB), and have the biggest CCFL panel evar...

kthx...

Pics:
front.jpg

back.jpg

I don't really have an answer, but I inquired similarly to an old lcd I pulled from a p1 thinkpad, had the same connector as yours does there, and I pretty much recieved the response that making it work would be more trouble than its worth, but it could make for some cool lighting.

Prime

The connector is built like this:
XX00X0X0XXXX0XX
XXXXXXXXXXXX00X, where X=Wire present, 0=empty socket

25 pins total

Edit: five of these go to the EL inverter, so we have 20 data/display power leads. Someone please tell me that a DVI display has 18 data leads. Please... :D

Have you read the lcd faqs? I can pretty much guarantee you that you will need a controller for that, which will probably cost a couple hundred dollars. Earthlcd.com is pretty popular for lcd controllers.

I did read them, but since I have no Ide if this was from broken laptop or desktop display with a snapped frame or whatever, I asked.

It looks like your LCD uses an LVDS digital input, which means you'll need a controller card to convert the LVDS driving signal into something more useful like VGA or DVI/TMDS or both. You can start by e-mailing Hitachi for a datasheet, and while you're waiting for that, inquire with the various controller cardmanufacturers out there. Here is a list of manufacturers:

http://www.geocities.com/p9019/lcd/lcd_controllers.html

You can also add Apollo Displays, http://www.apollodisplays.com/active.php, to the list. I ended up buying a DiCON controller for my application. I bought it from someone at MP3Car.com forums who had connections at DiCON. Well, that should get you started for now.

Back