I forgot how much of a difference it can make

no that board is uefi and supports ALL fx chips. what video card are you using? try getting the board to power up without the video card, just board, chip and ram. it could be a uefi vs legacy gpu issue. also whats your psu, brand/watts?
I never did ask for full specs....

GPU is a GTX460 (I know, I'll be getting a new one in a month or 2). I've tried a bare bones boot (CPU, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM) just like I did in the old board as well, and that one boots no problem. The PSU is a KingWin 850w, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

I did just find my old Phenom II 1055, which is also on the compatibility list for the 990FX Mobo. I'll be trying that tonight when I get home from work.

Crossing my fingers that I can get this running.

*Edit*
The manual for the mobo says min 500w. With everything disconnected, I should be more than fine.

Last edited:
yeah that all loks fine. it would just be really odd if you got two duds.
I've tried a bare bones boot (CPU, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM) just like I did in the old board as well, and that one boots no problem.
this sounds like you are saying the new board boot/powers up without the gpu?!?!
if you do go to swap boards again, politely explain whats happening and ask them to POST the new board for you. they should be willing to help...

No, the new one does not boot, post, or even start the CPU fan spinning. No matter what is or isn't plugged in.

We'll see if it boots tonight with the other CPU.

ok. got another psu to test with too? make sure your cpu 8pin is seated good, ive had those be a bitch in the past. inspect the inside of all the connectors make sure no pins are bent etc. disconnect everything, all the front i/o and power/leds and try just shorting the power pins.

Unfortunately I only have the one PSU capable of running it, but it does run the other one, so I don't think that is it. There is a power button built into the new board, so I don't have to short the jumper, though I did, just to try that out as well. I checked the CPU 3 times for bent pins, and there aren't any. I'll go through and check all of the connectors, could be a cable. I don't think that would be the same problem on both boards, but I'll check just to make sure

yeah I meant the pins in the connectors. the cpu works in the original board so you know its good. board/psu are really the only other variables. unless it doesn't like the ram...

I have another stick of RAM I can try, but the ones I have are pretty standard Corsair DDR3 1600 x8Gb. I do have a stick of 2Gb 1333 I can try. Didn't think of that.

The advice I gave in the other thread is what I'll post here.

Clear the CMOS and try one stick of RAM in the slot furthest from the CPU. I had one situation where the graphics card didn't work in the primary slot. I had to move it to the secondary slot. After changing to a different graphics card this behavior stopped.

The usual advice to get the latest UEFI / BIOS etc. still applies as well if no one has told you to do that. Also make sure that your voltages are all within 10% of the specified voltages they should be. If your RAM is showing as being a little under volted, increase the voltage slightly over the stock value.

I have given up with Gigabyte. I'm going back to Microcenter again in the morning and swapping this out with the ASrock motherboard I mentioned earlier that is the same price.

I just got done trying the other known good stick of RAM (in slot 1), and the old Phenom II processer I have. All the same results. It will not post, the fans don't move. Nothing at all happens. It just sits there mocking me. At this point, I believe that if it could it would be laughing at me.

If I have problems with the ASrock board, the only thing left in common is the PSU (which has no problem booting up the other system). That means I'm going for a week without a computer... :cry:

worse case Ontario, put the old stuff back together to get by. like I said, explain to them what has happened and ask them to post the new asrock for you, maybe even call ahead.

I plan on being there when they open the door. They're not usually busy first thing in the morning. Speaking of which. I'm going to bed now so I can get up early enough.

Well. It looks like I need new RAM. I went back to my old mobo for the time being, since the 3rd board still didn't start up. And, I found a really old couple of sticks of DDR3 1333 x4Gb RAM when I was looking around for the parts to put back in it. If you remember, I mentioned that the computer was only seeing 1/2 of what I had installed. Well, with these old sticks, the old mobo sees all 4Gb. So, the RAM that I had tried swapping it out with yesterday must have been bad too.

I really need to just go through and throw away all of the old hardware I have sitting around.

Well, I had the time to mess with this again. The RAM must not be the issue.
Could the PSU, an 850w KingWin, that runs just fine on an MSI 970 board with the same CPU, RAM, and SSD really be the problem? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Everything works just fine on the MSI board...
Here's a video of what happens when I push the power button on the mobo. Same thing happens when you push the one on the front of the case, I just thought it might be helpful to see what happens with the fans (CPU and video card).

yeah it could be. maybe the new mobos are looking for something the psu doesn't have. idk, its strange. you have swapped everything but the psu, so...

Yea. If nothing else I can abuse microcenters return policy if it doesn't work.
I hate to do it, but I can't afford to throw money at it to see what fixes it.

Well, I'm almost done. I picked up an EVGA 850B2 gold this morning and the new setup boots right up without any problems.
New mobo, new CPU, new PSU, but it's still only showing 1/2 of the installed RAM. I guess that's next.

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you all for your advice in this thread. My system is at least back up and running. I have an old 500gb HDD that I think went bad from running on a failing PSU for so long. Gparted shows that it has over 2k bad sectors, and I cannot get Win7 to install on it. I can't even get SpinRite 6 to run on it. I had planned to get a 2Tb drive for storage anyway, I guess I'll just split off a little piece of it to install Windows on.

Good stuff but now I'm in the same boat. My system died overnight. Looks like psu or mobo, fun fun....

Damn. Sorry to hear that.
I'm also looking to get a new case. I was going to try and use the old as dirt cube case I had in the basement, but it only has 3 openings for 80mm fans lol. Once I do get a new one, I'm going to put together an older Phenom II 1055T system for my son using the old MB and a couple of 2G sticks of DDR3 1333 I'm not using in the case I'm using now. He'll just have to buy a PSU and a HDD.

Well, now that I've gotten things straightened out, I'm still happy with the 212evo. I've started OCing this 8320E. I'm up from 3.2 stock up to 3.77 at 1.2V. I don't know which one to really trust between CAM or the ASUS software, but I'd rather go on the side of caution and say it's running at 61°C after 45min running P95. I need to see what happens now if I manually speed the fans up to 100%.

GhengisTemps.jpg
also... I'm only using Windows right now because the ASUS software won't run on Linux (even in WINE), and I have been spending some time playing SWGEmu. :D

I just noticed that you can't really see the details in that screenshot so I cropped it down a bit.

GhengisTemps2.jpg

the 45C sounds closer to correct for that speed/voltage. that 61C might be the socket temp. ive found that hwinfo64 was the most accurate.

After 10 min and turning all the fans up to 100% the CAM temps dropped to 34, and the ASUS program now says 51.

yeah i wouldnt trust the asus one. it could even potentially be a conflict between the two programs throwing things off. it took 1.45v to get my 212evo into the 60c range.

Update:
I'm running at 4.7 @ 1.4v, 69-70C at 100% load, 32C at idle. I'm pretty happy so far. I may pull it apart and make an attempt at lapping the bottom of the 212. I've seen a couple of horror stories of people sanding through the bottom of the heatpipes, but I don't plan on trying to get a mirror finish, just flatten it out a bit. This thing was rough and uneven without lapping.

Back