I finally upgraded my computer! w00t! but now what? Suggestions for great PC games?

Nightwing749

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,
I've spent the past 4 years playing WoW and consoles games. I use to be a huge PC gamer back in the days of UT2004, Mechwarrior, half-life 2 and among many older popular PC titles. With the passing of time my machine was unable to run any of the newer titles and I fell into WoW spiral. I recently upgraded my computer and I am excited to move back into PC gaming but before I spend my hard earn cash, anyone have any suggestions on kickass titles that will take my new setup to it's full potential? What are some of your favorite recent titles?

Old System :(
Pentium 4 3.0ghz
1.5gb ddr1-400
ATI 9800 PRO AGP 4x

New System :) (soon to be overclocked)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 Quad-Core
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
PNY GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 - VCG88GTSXPB

I enjoy all genres; FPS, RPG, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Simulation.

Thank you for any suggestions and I'll be quick to download the demos.

Last edited:
8800GTS???

yeah, that is the surprising part. It's kind of like going back to 2006 while the rest of the computer is in 2009. That card will be adequate but struggle in a lot of current games. My buddy with the 8800 GTS is playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 @ 1280x1024

Last edited:
Must be an old part or something given to him by a friend? If buying new, there are much better choices.

Burnout Paradise will look/run/play awesome on your rig, free Demo is out that includes the full game, you buy it right in the game to unlock it to the full version.

It begins and ends with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Although its going to run an 8800GTS ragged at very high settings.

sigh again all the GPU GPU GPU and no one bothering to ask what resolution. No offense, but I played every game out last year at 1900x1200 on a 9600GSO. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't have a current gen card. OP what resolution are you using?

I'm not too into some of the newer titles

Fallout 3
Stalker series (Install stalker complete 2009)
Fear 1 and 2
Farcry 1 and 2
Bioshock 1 and 2
Borderlands

Honestly man I'm gonna do a total cop out plug here. Download "Steam" and just wait for the sales :D tons of goodness.

Last edited:
yeah, that is the surprising part. It's kind of like going back to 2006 while the rest of the computer is in 2009. That card will be adequate but struggle in a lot of current games. My buddy with the 8800 GTS is playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 @ 1280x1024

playing at 1920x1080 with no problems on my secondary gaming rig. 8800GTS is still a fine card for gaming. With that said save up and grab a 5770 if price is holding you back.

GPU limited, the 8800 has to go...

8800GTS is a good card and will run most games out now at most resolutions. You make it sound like the card is complete crap and MUST be thrown in the garbage right now :)

lol come on guys, you definitely did not play all the games last year @ 1920X1080 on a 9600GSO or an 8800GTS. Well... maybe if you set textures and everything to low with no AA or AF. I had a secondary pc with a 9800GT and it couldn't play most of the games on high settings on my 23" 1920X1080 lcd.

Anywho I'd recommend Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead, Dirt 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2. Also just check steam for some good deals.

mass effect1-2
dragon age
bioshock 2 (its fun and kinda neat but not epic like the other one)
bad company 2
l4d2

oh yeah

fallout 3 is good too, and the dlc makes it quite engaging.

nom nom

lol come on guys, you definitely did not play all the games last year @ 1920X1080 on a 9600GSO or an 8800GTS. Well... maybe if you set textures and everything to low with no AA or AF. I had a secondary pc with a 9800GT and it couldn't play most of the games on high settings on my 23" 1920X1080 lcd.

Anywho I'd recommend Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead, Dirt 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3 and Modern Warfare 2. Also just check steam for some good deals.

I was playing most games at 1680x1050 at either highest or just below highest settings with an 8800GTS until a few months ago. I've moved to a 4870 and I wouldn't say its night and day or anything, it just lets me go from just below highest settings at 1680 to highest settings at 1920.

I didn't mean that the 8800GTS is a terrible card, it's fine for games today just not at high settings/resolution. For me going from 1680 @ medium to 1920 @ high would be a night and day difference. Although not quite as awesome as it was for me going from 1920X1080 to 5760X1080 eyefinity :p

8800GTS is a good card and will run most games out now at most resolutions. You make it sound like the card is complete crap and MUST be thrown in the garbage right now :)

Yeah that was a bit harsh considering that he came up from a 9800 pro? i would've just recommended the new just cause 2 demo or something and left it at that.yeah sure it's not the latest dx11 card from ati but now he can run dx9.0c and dx 10 games whereas just last week or so he coulden't.and as long as the resolution doesn't go to high he'll be ok.:)

You should be able to easily max out the graphics for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. Excellent RPG's. If you do ME2, then you probably should play ME1 first.

I'd say give the Dawn of War games a try, they're my favorite strategy game. Stalker has been mentioned and that's an awesome series of games, lengthy single player and multiple endings and get the complete mod.

try
The Witcher
Company of Heroes
Brothers in Arms
Oblivion GOTY +mods
DCS Blackshark

GPu is strange but will work fine is about the same as a 9600gt which works fine I'm using 2x9600gt's in sli and I can run anything.

So this is what you do.

Step 0. -- Quit work, and lock up GF/Wife.
Step 1.--- buy Fallout 3 and Left4dead 2
Step 2. --- Play FO3 for 5 hours
Step 3. --- Play L4D2 for 1 hour
Step 4. --- Eat
Step 5. ---Repeat steps 2,3, and 4. untill FO3 completed.

Then replace FO3 with Dragon Age and repeat.

GPu is strange but will work fine is about the same as a 9600gt which works fine I'm using 2x9600gt's in sli and I can run anything.

So this is what you do.

Step 4. --- Eat

Then replace FO3 with Dragon Age and Left4Dead 2 with Team Fortress 2 and repeat.

Fixed :D

So this is what you do.

Step 4. --- Eat

Then replace FO3 with Dragon Age and repeat.

^^^^ +1, haha. Yeah I'm a college student on a low budget. I got the cpu/mobo combo from Fry's a few weeks ago and i was playing on the integrated hd4200 which alone blew away my 9800 pro. I got the 8800 GTS few days ago for $50 and I thought it was a sweet deal. I think the 8800 GTS will hold up until I can find a used 5770 at a cheaper cost. Thanks for the input.

::edit:: I am playing on a 22" @1680x1050

Last edited:
he's upgrading from a pentium 4 and 9800pro, it's still gonna be leaps better. I say enjoy it now, and you have an easy upgrade path in the future. the gts should still be able to pump 1680x1050, maybe not max settings but still will be able to play games smooth.

Playing Bad Company 2 right now it's hard to think of other games to recommend. Keep an eye on steam, they often put decent games that are less than a year old on for sale for like $10-20.

8800gts g92 here myself... but i dont really play FPS games so i can buy any game i want still. gta4, for example, runs on a 8800gts excellent (med textures, but everything else high) at 1080p.

You should be able to easily max out the graphics for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. Excellent RPG's. If you do ME2, then you probably should play ME1 first.

max out ME2? how come i cant on my i7/260gtx rig? btw 60fps is sufficient not 20-30fps when people ask if u can max out a game

Source engine games should run great, especially at a lower resolution. Team fortress 2 rocks -- I've got several hundred hours in on that game. I'm still running my 2x8800GT's, but definitely need an upgrade for bad company 2.

[ FPS ]
SP - Bioshock series / Stalker: SoC Complete 2009
MP - L4D2 / TF2 / BF:BC2

[ RPG ]

SP - Oblivion (/w mods) / Fallout 3 / Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect series
MP - (I think you've played enough WoW)

[ STRATEGY ]
SP - Empire: Total War
MP - CoH: Tales of Valor / DoW2 + new expansion / STARCRAFT 2 BETA

Other than that, I've gotten a great, great deal of enjoyment out of League of Legends (plus it's FREE).

+1 for league of legends. If you ever played the DoTA maps on WC3, it's similar to those in style. Awesome game, and eats up the vast majority of my gaming time since I downloaded it in October.

Back