I finally upgraded from my 3570k / R9 290X / 16gb ddr3

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
After 7 years I am ready to upgrade

Attachments

• E26034E7-061A-46C0-A97F-217D9A4BEBB2.jpeg
    E26034E7-061A-46C0-A97F-217D9A4BEBB2.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 0
That Hyper 212 series has some legs!! They've been selling that same cooler for how many years now? Think I bought one new at release for my nepheew's C2D setup... it was like $13 out the door. Amazing it's still up to the task. Congrats on the upgrade!

That Hyper 212 series has some legs!! They've been selling that same cooler for how many years now? Think I bought one new at release for my nepheew's C2D setup... it was like $13 out the door. Amazing it's still up to the task. Congrats on the upgrade!

it has been improved a lot over time.. there is a noticeable from the Hyper 212, to hyper 212 plus, to hyper 212 evo, to hyper 212X, and goes on.. it's a nice cooler with a nice size and price.

I have at least 3 212's in active service right now, its a really great cooler for the price.

You can brute force some more performance out of a 212 with a Corsair ml120 fan and retune of your fan curve.

2nd fan is another 3-5c.

Noise sensitive people should go with Be Quiet.
I like my noctuas, but silent wings fans are better near full blast.

You can brute force some more performance out of a 212 with a Corsair ml120 fan and retune of your fan curve.

2nd fan is another 3-5c.

Noise sensitive people should go with Be Quiet.
I like my noctuas, but silent wings fans are better near full blast.

You should see what 2 50mm Delta 120mm fans do........besides remove the tips of (my buddies, not mine!) fingers.

You should see what 2 50mm Delta 120mm fans do........besides remove the tips of (my buddies, not mine!) fingers.

We used to run those in the 90's, parts we'd scavenge from the e-waste pile.
I very quickly learned to pull apart my cases, cut away unneeded obstruction, and use women's nylons stretched across my intake area.
Way more work, but I didn't like running colo rated fans in my house.
All those early Slack linux guys were masochists and loved Sunon or Deltas.

I'd pull ODD support out of the way and zip tie "large" fans in place back when low 80mm intake/high 80mm exhaust was the common beige box layout.
When side ventilation became a huge design feature in cases most of the gamers I knew had been blasting a box fan into an open side since Quake 2.

I am still running no front on my define C bc I'm too cheap to buy a diff box.
Was running a vornado blasting into my 1080ti Armor while I was waiting for the AIO bracket to be delivered a few years ago.

Man, old habits do die hard.

We used to run those in the 90's, parts we'd scavenge from the e-waste pile.
I very quickly learned to pull apart my cases, cut away unneeded obstruction, and use women's nylons stretched across my intake area.
Way more work, but I didn't like running colo rated fans in my house.
All those early Slack linux guys were masochists and loved Sunon or Deltas.

I'd pull ODD support out of the way and zip tie "large" fans in place back when low 80mm intake/high 80mm exhaust was the common beige box layout.
When side ventilation became a huge design feature in cases most of the gamers I knew had been blasting a box fan into an open side since Quake 2.

I am still running no front on my define C bc I'm too cheap to buy a diff box.
Was running a vornado blasting into my 1080ti Armor while I was waiting for the AIO bracket to be delivered a few years ago.

Man, old habits do die hard.

I grabbed a whole bunch of them when I was recycling some Dell T5500's, each of them has at least one in the front. Good idea with the nylon though, I might borrow that if you dont mind......

External fans are always a classy option, the sign of someone who cares :D

Pic is one of my old rigs, right after an upgrade to a massive 160gb IDE hard drive! (fan is on the left)

Attachments

• 0524000641.jpg
    0524000641.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0

I know someone that finally migrated a bunch of random drives to an 8tb external.
They were from his old q6600 build that would get data shuffled off to whatever cheapie opportunistic HDD was on sale the day the old drive exhibited signs of dying.

He had a Fractal r4 full of under 1tb spinning drives.

Just years of junk mp3s, vods, pics, phone dumps, game saves from win95 to current, you name it he hoarded it.

I know another guy like that that won't listen to any of us.
8x 1tb Seagate hdds that are 6+ years old.

I have at least 3 212's in active service right now, its a really great cooler for the price.

I have 2 in active service, one with a replacement fan, and a 3rd as a spare for if my WC loop ever goes down. Only complaint I've got is that I service them so infrequently that I keep forgetting that the plastic fan brackets are fragile and really don't like to be slid on/off with the fans attached and have damaged a few as a result.

I have 2 in active service, one with a replacement fan, and a 3rd as a spare for if my WC loop ever goes down. Only complaint I've got is that I service them so infrequently that I keep forgetting that the plastic fan brackets are fragile and really don't like to be slid on/off with the fans attached and have damaged a few as a result.

212 Black comes with the metal brackets..... Real pain in the ass to put on but quite durable.

I know someone that finally migrated a bunch of random drives to an 8tb external.
They were from his old q6600 build that would get data shuffled off to whatever cheapie opportunistic HDD was on sale the day the old drive exhibited signs of dying.

He had a Fractal r4 full of under 1tb spinning drives.

Just years of junk mp3s, vods, pics, phone dumps, game saves from win95 to current, you name it he hoarded it.

I know another guy like that that won't listen to any of us.
8x 1tb Seagate hdds that are 6+ years old.

I got an 8tb Barracuda from work but it came from a site that utilizes encryption, so no 'quick format' option for me.... :(

I think the online calculator said it'll take like 36ish hours to wipe....

I got an 8tb Barracuda from work but it came from a site that utilizes encryption, so no 'quick format' option for me.... :(

I think the online calculator said it'll take like 36ish hours to wipe....

That doesn't make sense. If you're wiping an encrypted drive, all you need to do is to nuke the key. At that point everything on the drive is as much line noise as when it came off the factory floor.

That doesn't make sense. If you're wiping an encrypted drive, all you need to do is to nuke the key. At that point everything on the drive is as much line noise as when it came off the factory floor.

Didn't come with the Bitlocker key, just 'here kid, take this'. I did a 'quick format' without knowing and thus why it can't see the drive.

I f'd up something, that's for sure.... Only solution I see is the longgg format *shrugs

I'm open to ideas/suggestions to save me that hassle?

it has been improved a lot over time.. there is a noticeable from the Hyper 212, to hyper 212 plus, to hyper 212 evo, to hyper 212X, and goes on.. it's a nice cooler with a nice size and price.

I still have a 212 plus cooling a 6700K. Does a nice job.

Didn't come with the Bitlocker key, just 'here kid, take this'. I did a 'quick format' without knowing and thus why it can't see the drive.

I f'd up something, that's for sure.... Only solution I see is the longgg format *shrugs

I'm open to ideas/suggestions to save me that hassle?

Boot your box with a gparted Live key and format the drive.
We had to do that when my buddy bought an old Dev Test DB box for a song.
It had 8x2tb sas drives in it, which was valuable back in 2014.

Back