I finally handled an iPhone 6 plus and iPhone 6

jimh425

Gawd
I finally handled an iPhone 6 plus, and the one review that said it it was out of balance seems to be right. The iPhone 6 seems much easier to hold. I only had the 6 plus in my hand for a few minutes and almost dropped it a few times.

So, if you have a iPhone 6 plus, have you dropped it yet?

The iPhone 6 was really well balanced. Sure, the screen is smaller, but it seems much better designed.

setup my bosses 6+ the other day, and i thought my m8 was too big and clumsy/awkward to hold on too, good god 6+ is terrible, the leather case made it gripper but also approaching an ipad mini in size.

The 6+ is huge imo. I haven't been able to use one without having it tethered down but I just can't see using it comfortably one handed. The 6 is about as large a phone as I can comfortably use. That said it has a ton of wasted space in the huge bezels on the top and bottom. This is the first phone I have needed to get a case for, the damn thing is just to slippery without one.

I've had my 6 plus since Friday night and have not dropped it yet and I have an otterbox defender case. The case was released last Saturday and I received it Friday as well. It adds just under 1/2" to the overall width and I like it just fine.
You fellas must have small hands!

I finally handled an iPhone 6 plus, and the one review that said it it was out of balance seems to be right. The iPhone 6 seems much easier to hold. I only had the 6 plus in my hand for a few minutes and almost dropped it a few times.

So, if you have a iPhone 6 plus, have you dropped it yet?

The iPhone 6 was really well balanced. Sure, the screen is smaller, but it seems much better designed.

Surely you can see that this is a personal thing, based on preference, usage, and even hand size. I have a couple of shirts that don't fit, but that doesn't make them poorly designed.

I'm talking about the balance of the phone not the length/width of the phone. It seems really top heavy. I suppose you think not.

Surely you can see that this is a personal thing, based on preference, usage, and even hand size. I have a couple of shirts that don't fit, but that doesn't make them poorly designed.

Wow... you take your opinions seriously!!

Been using a 6+ for the past month or so and at first it was definitely awkward coming from a 4" iPhone. Since then I've become pretty used to it (more so than I'd of thought anyway) and, for the most part, don't have much of a problem using it with one hand. As far as dropping it goes, I actually dropped it the first day that I got it and came within inches of hitting a concrete sidewalk but luckily landed on grass. I actually managed to drop it again yesterday, but I use a decent case now so not terribly concerned about it.

Last edited:
Been using a 6+ for the past month or so and at first it was definitely awkward coming from a 4" iPhone. Since then I've become pretty used to it (more so than I'd of thought anyway) and, for the most part, don't have much of a problem using it with one hand. As far as dropping it goes, I actually dropped it the first day that I got it and came within inches of hitting a concrete sidewalk but luckily landed on grass. I actually managed to drop it again yesterday, but I use a decent case so not terribly concerned about it.

Did you try using it without the case? Did you find it overly hard to grip?

Did you try using it without the case? Did you find it overly hard to grip?

It's not really hard to grip, but I can absolutely see where it would be an issue if you pulled it out of your pocket holding it loosely (from the satin texture on the aluminum). I try to make sure that, even with a case on it, that I have a good grip on the phone before I take it out. Had a quite a few close calls already, not to mention the two times I actually did drop it.

And no, I'd likely never use it without the case (aside from the first day). My old iPhone 5, I used with a case every single day... and the one day that I didn't after 1.5years of ownership, dropped it and shattered the screen.

I've only handled one in an AT&T store, with the big clunky security device attached, so I couldn't really handle it well. Even though I have smaller hands I don't think it would be a problem for me. Most of the times when I make calls I use two hands anyway... one to hold my 5S and one to tap the contact or put in the number. Out walking I usually have the Ear Pods in and answer/make calls that way. And I never sit down with my phone in my pocket, so no bending worries.

If it wasn't for the optically stabilized lens I would go with the 6. I'm waiting till next year anyway to see what they bring to the 6s/6+s, or whatever they call it. Hopefully the sense will make it to the 6s, or they will update the camera to 12mp or more. Till then I'll have to deal with holding my puny iPhone 5S.

My wife and I both bought the 6 Plus shortly after it was announced. We have had it for a month or so now and we both have really grown to love it. At first, I would agree, it was like "holy crap, this is HUGE!" I might even say awkward a little. But now that we have gotten used to it I wouldn't want to go back. I love the size. I do feel a little weird holding it to my head to make calls because it does kind of feel like a mini-ipad but it's not that big of a deal.

I would say I have normal size hands and I can reach pretty much the whole screen, with the exception of maybe the upper corner, with my thumb no problem. My wife has had no complaints either to date.

I bought my kids a regular 6 and now when holding those they seem to small. So, as I see it the screen size is awesome but a little awkward making calls due to the size but it just took a little getting used to.

I don't have mine in hand yet but I'll be putting it in spite tough armor or neo hybrid

I know I would drop it, since I've dropped a similarly textured iPod Touch a bunch of times.

I've had my 6 in a grippy case since day one.

I don't have mine in hand yet but I'll be putting it in spite tough armor or neo hybrid

I have a Tough Armor I am not using. These cases are not what you want for grip, the plastic and "rubber" are super cheap and very slick to the touch.

I have a Neo Hybrid fory 5s. I like the quality so that sounds disappointing from your report. It's mainly for protection and not grip though

I have a Neo Hybrid fory 5s. I like the quality so that sounds disappointing from your report. It's mainly for protection and not grip though

Protection sucks too, the TPU barely raises higher than the screen. If you drop it face down, a screen corner is definitely making contact with the ground. The TPU feels like a ultra cheap plastic instead of a nice rubber.

I've used some Spigen cases in the past and they were fine. The new 6 Tough Armor was just poor all around. I think their quality and design went to shit because they managed to jump almost everyone else on releasing iPhone 6/6+ cases.

I have the 6, and I simply don't like it. Hard to pinpoint why. I'm also irritated that using Bluetooth also screws with my notification sounds.

Had my iPhone 6+ (with the Apple silicone case) a week after launch. I came from using a 5s and a Galaxy S3 before that.

Took some time getting used to, but I am able to use it one handed (I have small hands). I do agree it is awkwardly weighted at first, but it took me a few days to adjust. A coworker of mine has the 6 and it definitely a lot more easier to handle.

Having said that, I don't mind the 6+ other than how not pocketable it is (I can still put it in my pocket, but it isn't as easy with the 5s or 6) and the constant comments I get on its large size (yes, you are very creative in your comments).

I had the 6+ since it was released. Never dropped it. Now mind you I am missng a couple fingers so to me the phone s not to big. But maybe some of you have tiny hands.

I read a couple reviews, I think one from iLounge, pointing out that the 6 Tough Armor case sucked but that the 6 Plus case was much better built. I won't know until I see it but I'm not going to put it in an otter box.

I'm getting a little under two days with moderate use. Charges pretty darn quick as well.

Seeing pretty similar results here aswell. I think the longest I've made it without charging was over the weekend (charged Friday morning and charged again on Monday morning).... but normally I'm pretty anal about keeping it topped off.

For those people who think it's slippery when naked, try playing with one that already has a fine layer of hand oil. It's much easier to hold. That fresh, clean aluminum is slippery.

For those people who think it's slippery when naked, try playing with one that already has a fine layer of hand oil. It's much easier to hold. That fresh, clean aluminum is slippery.

I've only almost dropped my 6 around 2 or 3 times. Happens if I'm not paying attention at all and just quickly grab it out of my pocket. That said there are a couple of scratches on the front already which can only be seen under the sunlight but they are still there. I only keep it in my pocket without anything else (just the phone in my right pocket, wallet/keys in my left).

I've only almost dropped my 6 around 2 or 3 times. Happens if I'm not paying attention at all and just quickly grab it out of my pocket. That said there are a couple of scratches on the front already which can only be seen under the sunlight but they are still there. I only keep it in my pocket without anything else (just the phone in my right pocket, wallet/keys in my left).

Are the fine scratches caused by the drops or by residing in your pocket?

Almost dropped means he hasn't dropped it. Things like rivets can cause scratches.

Using Iheart radio with Bluetooth headphones still drains the battery pretty good. It does charge extremely fast.

Are the fine scratches caused by the drops or by residing in your pocket?

Never dropped it and the only thing in my pocket is usually lint, don't think there is any actual dirt or anything there. It's the front screen/glass not any of the aluminum. It's not too bad since it's only noticeable at a certain angle, but just wanted to mention it.

Never dropped it and the only thing in my pocket is usually lint, don't think there is any actual dirt or anything there. It's the front screen/glass not any of the aluminum. It's not too bad since it's only noticeable at a certain angle, but just wanted to mention it.
That happened to my 5s. Annoyed me but I haven't ever noticed over the year. I don't know why it happens. I might get a glass screen protector this time if I can find one that covers the entire face.

OP, I've heard that the iPhone 6/6+ is super resistant to bending. Why not give it a try? :D

That happened to my 5s. Annoyed me but I haven't ever noticed over the year. I don't know why it happens. I might get a glass screen protector this time if I can find one that covers the entire face.

I wouldn't go for the glass ones, unless you have a case that fits around it as well. If you just use a glass protector it will easily crack/break if you ever drop it on an edge. They are also pretty thick so the home button is going to feel off, especially with Touch ID where you can't just apply a sticker (or w/e those are called).

so it actually got marked as delivered but wasn't in my mailbox! I drove to the post office and they called the carrier and after about 20 minutes he "found" my package and lo and behold, it's huuuuge LMAO

I was thinking of pairing one of those with a tough or slim armor by spigen. but I'm not even sure I'm going to get a case...or if I do I think I might go crazy and get a couple cases for walking/office and riding my bike/running

I think the size of the 6+ is too big. I also never liked the Note or anything larger than the "standard" 5" phones.

Back