I feel stupid, help with basic Vista to Vista file sharing.

criccio

Fully Equipped
My network consists of the 3 machines in my sig. Both my desktop and laptop can read and write to all the shares setup on the WHS machine perfectly fine. Up until a few hours ago, I have never had a reason to do a file transfer between my desktop and my laptop.

Clicking Start, then Network brings up the network browser as usual, and when I'm on my desktop, my Server and my Laptop show up. When I double click on the Laptop icon, it brings up a window to enter a username and password. I enter the username for the laptop, then the password. "Logon unsuccessful". I then enter the username in the format "DOMAIN\username" like it suggests, same error.

I then think its because I dont have any shares setup on the laptop. So i create a folder on the Laptops desktop, and go to the advanced sharing settings and share the directory. I know its shared as the icon changed to a shared folder icon. No luck, still can't connect.

What am I missing? This shouldn't be that difficult. FWIW, the username and password for my Desktop and Laptop are identical. Also, same problem going from my laptop to my desktop. Both are set to "Private" in the network and sharing center.

EDIT

I just turned off "Password Protected Sharing" in the Network and Sharing Center, and now I can connect. But I WANT a password, so that didn't solve the problem, just thought I would throw that out there.

I'm an idiot, feel free to delete this thread. Learned on my own there is a massive difference between what Vista knows as your "username" and your "full name". bleh.

Back