I feel like this is a dumb question - POE injector question

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
I feel like this is a little dumb, but I haven't been able to really find the answer.

Can I hook up my POE injectors right at my switch in the basement, and just run the output CAT cable from them to my AP's? All documentation seems to read that I need to run my CAT to the approximate destination first, then POE injector at a nearby plug, then a short run to the AP.

You should be fine to put the poe injector at the switch end as long as your total cable run isn't over 300'
...and if it's over 300, then PoE is the least of your worries :D

Where I'm forced to use them, I do the injectors at the switch so they can all be fed off of a UPS. This is mainly relevant for phones, but also useful for APs.

The PoE injector at the switch means there will be voltage drop depending on length. Just make sure the power at the end is enough for the AP and a little bit extra just in case.

I have no clue what documentation you are reading that would suggest putting an injector at the end run. If you can reach an outlet there and require its usage, you defeated the entire purpose of PoE.

Back