I feel like that kid in the backseat, asking "Are we there yet??"

Biostar announced their AM4 boards and Phantek announced AM4 cooler brackets yesterday. I'm thinking we must be within month or so and I bet we'll start seeing a lot more AM4 related product info running up to the NDA lift

OP

Get a paper bag and breath in and out of it slowly for 3 minutes.

Find the safe place.

You'll be fine. You're welcome in advance breh

lol. you know ive never had a problem with my many amd builds, but i picked up an oculus rift last friday with the intent to play racing simulation games. Well project cars is busting my balls with poor frame rates. trying to maintain a minimum of 90fps at 2160x1200 is harder then i expected. I overclocked my 8320e from 3.4ghz to 4ghz and see no difference -- when i have more time ill shoot for 4.5ghz

I personally got sick of waiting for what Ryzen might bring, and picked up a 7700k. I figure that even if what we've seen is accurate that AMD matches Intel clock-for-clock, with the power-optimized process they're building with it is less likely to match Intel clock speeds. I could be right, could be wrong, but even if AMD does compete w/ Intel, 4 cores / 8 threads will last great for several years at least.

Allegedly the CPU is ready and fully in production. It's the motherboard manufacturers holding back the release.

I also desperately need an upgrade from my Phenom II x6. I want to support AMD, but the upgrade itch is hitting hard.

Allegedly the CPU is ready and fully in production. It's the motherboard manufacturers holding back the release.

I dont think so. And remember the AM4 platform isn't new, it was released with Bristol Ridge.

I also desperately need an upgrade from my Phenom II x6. I want to support AMD, but the upgrade itch is hitting hard.
Well in about a month, if you can wait that long - the wait on the launch should be over. Then it becomes when truly available and at the right price wait.

I don't expect to make any decision until June to let the new platform brew a little to figure out the best memory to use, motherboard and everything else that goes with it. Then with Skylake E coming out in August I really hope some solid info will be available in June - I may just wait until more information for Skylake E is out and then decide.

Well in about a month, if you can wait that long - the wait on the launch should be over. Then it becomes when truly available and at the right price wait.

I don't expect to make any decision until June to let the new platform brew a little to figure out the best memory to use, motherboard and everything else that goes with it. Then with Skylake E coming out in August I really hope some solid info will be available in June - I may just wait until more information for Skylake E is out and then decide.
Were you listening at CES? THE RELEASE is a hard laucn with instant availability. There is no wait after launch.

I personally got sick of waiting for what Ryzen might bring, and picked up a 7700k. I figure that even if what we've seen is accurate that AMD matches Intel clock-for-clock, with the power-optimized process they're building with it is less likely to match Intel clock speeds. I could be right, could be wrong, but even if AMD does compete w/ Intel, 4 cores / 8 threads will last great for several years at least.
It is already faster than 6900k clock speeds so what are you talking about?

Were you listening at CES? THE RELEASE is a hard laucn with instant availability. There is no wait after launch.
Do you remember how fast the RX 480 sold out and how hard they were to get initially? A hard launch does not mean shelves are over flowing with motherboards, cpu's at retail pricing or lower with great sells to start. If it is really good, kicks ass, I would expect some shortages since not everyone will have hundreds in stock at first really not knowing everything yet. Would you spend a hell a lot of money for an inventory on a not seen product? From AMD? (They have a reputation and track record). Of course if Ebay is where you shop and don't mind paying a rather hefty premium to be a guinea pig that maybe a good option.

I have ZERO interest in the 7700K or any other Intel processor for my personal builds. That said, I agree, I have been thinking as well, "Are we there yet?" :D

Do you remember how fast the RX 480 sold out and how hard they were to get initially? A hard launch does not mean shelves are over flowing with motherboards, cpu's at retail pricing or lower with great sells to start. If it is really good, kicks ass, I would expect some shortages since not everyone will have hundreds in stock at first really not knowing everything yet. Would you spend a hell a lot of money for an inventory on a not seen product? From AMD? (They have a reputation and track record). Of course if Ebay is where you shop and don't mind paying a rather hefty premium to be a guinea pig that maybe a good option.

Why I will be buying from Microcenter on Day One and not Newegg.

It is already faster than 6900k clock speeds so what are you talking about?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know AMD hasn't officially announced what the final clocks are yet. ("3.4 GHz plus" isn't definitive)

But like I said, I was tired of waiting, needed/wanted a new system, so I made a decision based on available information; and even if Ryzen ends up being marginally faster, I still have a kickass system that will last for years. And I have it now instead of [released next month? Or later? Availability next month? Or later?]

YUP - I have an ITX case that is going to house a budget gaming Ryzen build of my own. My wife is getting to keep the A10 system so we can start playing some games together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know AMD hasn't officially announced what the final clocks are yet. ("3.4 GHz plus" isn't definitive)

But like I said, I was tired of waiting, needed/wanted a new system, so I made a decision based on available information; and even if Ryzen ends up being marginally faster, I still have a kickass system that will last for years. And I have it now instead of [released next month? Or later? Availability next month? Or later?]
The engineering sample at CES was notr final silicon but had a base clock of 3,6 GHZ so they will have an iteration of SR7 at base clock of 3.6 GHZ plus turbo boost or more and possibly one at 3.4 GHZ plus turbo boost. Both are above the base clock of 3.3 GHZ for I7 6900K . Lisa Su said that the 3.4 GHZ clock was the least it would be.

Same.
Though, unlike many, I'm more interested in the low end chips, possibly even APU solutions.

This always happens to me, the newly announced stuff gets my upgrade juices flowing, and I'll go out and buy stuff at just the wrong time.

I want to wait for Ryzen, Vega, 1080 Ti, but that 7700k and 1080 is sounding good and I lack patience.

This always happens to me, the newly announced stuff gets my upgrade juices flowing, and I'll go out and buy stuff at just the wrong time.

I want to wait for Ryzen, Vega, 1080 Ti, but that 7700k and 1080 is sounding good and I lack patience.

Only thing I can say is wait the month out for Ryzen simply for potential price drops on Intel parts if they compete well enough.

It's 30 days or less. That's IT.

You guys need to relax. Take up another hobby or something. Learn how to knit sweaters.

As someone with a tired and dying Ivy Bridge and a good tax check coming up soon.. tick tock tick tock..

As someone with a tired and dying Ivy Bridge and a good tax check coming up soon.. tick tock tick tock..
I'm waiting to see what direction I want to go since I'm looking to rebuild off of Gulftown. Then again there's a nonzero chance of me just taking my brother's Haswell machine off his hands if he upgrades to Ryzen or Skylake-X.

Back