I feel like Im running to hot...2600k

Kingpin

Gawd
Running asus p8z56-v pro gen 3 with 2600k and 16gig vengeance and a Antec KUHLER H2O 920 cooler.

I feel like my temps are to hot for the OC Im getting. I used the Auto Tuning feature in the AI Suite II software. @ 4.7 it restarts, @ 4.6 I can run Intel burn test on "Very High" with positive results but "Maximum" it freezes up. I can run "Max" @ 4.5. But still my temps are reaching high 80s @ 4.5.

What am I doing wrong?

You shouldn't generally use software to OC the computer. It doesnt ever get the voltage right. You should go into BIOS and do it your self.

Sorry i was on my iphone and it auto corrected so thats why it didnt make sense at first lol

Last edited:
Yes... that is definitely hotter than you want to run that chip. Are you confident that you have applied thermal paste properly? Also, I definitely second that the software OC could be giving you voltages that are way too high.

It's also possible that you got a 2600k that just can't run very high, or a combination of both. Nix the software OC and start over from scratch, slowly inching up your clock speed and voltage to make sure you're getting good temps (less than 70 C preferably lower). Be very careful.

Reduce the CPU voltage. It's probably much higher than what you need.

Yes... that is definitely hotter than you want to run that chip. Are you confident that you have applied thermal paste properly? Also, I definitely second that the software OC could be giving you voltages that are way too high.
anything over 70 degrees C is a red flag. take off the cooler, clean and re-apply thermal paste, then do your overclocking in BIOS and see what happens. my guess is the cooler isn't seated properly, so it is not cooling correctly, which is why you are crashing.

My 2600k is gaming stable @ 46x100 ~ 1.38ish vcore under load. It sees 75-80c under full burn type tests. Any less vcore and it isnt stable.

Ambient temperature plays a huge factor obviously, as does case ventilation. You can try reseating and reapplying the thermal paste if you haven't redone it at least once already....

When gaming I don't think i've seen my processor break 68c however. So unless you are going to be at %100 load all day every day, I wouldnt worry about it all that much.

I'd ditch the software overclock as well. Use the bios and do some reading, you may get it stable with less voltage.

Don't be absurd. Temperatures above 70C are absolutely fine.

Definitely, freaking out at only 70c with these chips is ridiculous.

OP: You're under 70c at 4.5Ghz running IBT. That's completely safe and your cooler is performing pretty well.

What is the fan setup you have on that? Depending on your fan setup you might be able to lower your temps by making some changes there. You can also try lowering your voltage down a bit, but if that's what it takes to get it stable at 4.5 there's nothing really wrong with where you're at.

Even if you do nothing you're safe with where you're at now so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you want to keep tweaking to make it a bit better.

As others have said, those volts and temps are fine for that overclock. If you want to push farther, you may have to enable Internal PLL Overvoltage, if it isn't already. That is usually good for another few multiplier before you start hitting the wall again.

Im going to redo my cpu cooler. Whats the best way to clean both parts of the thermal paste? Also Iv seen videos of the artic silver paste either spread on the whole chip and others where they just put a drop in the center and lay down the heat sink. Whats the best way to do it?

grain of rice in the center. if you pre-spread it, it could create air pockets, where the grain of rice method pushes the air away from the center as it spreads and fills...

Grain of rice method doesn't work great for quad cores IMO.
Double line or the x method is my recommendation, but seriously, it sounds like your CPU runs a "tad" hot but IBT will stress your temps more than even prime.

I too have a 2600k that runs a tad hot under my h60 but is fine. Pm me if you'd like to know what settings I'm using.

Btw, ditch the software overclock. It's good to see if your CPU can load windows with the OC, but sucks for temps and stability.

Been busy this week so wasnt able to do anything with the pc. What's a good voltage to step down to, what would be the lowest I should be trying for?

There is no "lowest" or "ideal" voltage that we can tell you. The ideal voltage is the lowest voltage that you can get your processor to run stable at. And that varies greatly from CPU to CPU.

I must say that reducing voltage doesn't really improve temps significantly. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Thats fine temps.

I run at the below settings, and I never go above 63c. even after 24 hours of prime95.

I would say you dont want to go above 80c, thats my limit

anything over 70 degrees C is a red flag.

You are totally wrong. With the intel CPU's, they can get up to around 80c and be perfectly fine.

I use to run my I7 950 at 4.6ghz, and would prime95 overnight around 80-82c, and thats fine.

I would say put the BLCK back to 100 and just change the multi for overclocking.

I would say put the BLCK back to 100 and just change the multi for overclocking.

This! The ASUS software tried to set mine at 103 also (I wanted to see what it would do) but dropping it back to 100 made it easy to get to 4.8. Mine would freeze at 103 also.

Back