I don't want to be the first one to load a map anymore...

maybe you should try playing games that other ppl with ssd play.

This aggravates me to no end. Especially in Dota, when there's always that one guy who must use punch cards for storage or something, and times out. And I end up waiting an entire 2 minutes.

This aggravates me to no end. Especially in Dota, when there's always that one guy who must use punch cards for storage or something, and times out. And I end up waiting an entire 2 minutes.

Also in Left 4 Dead 2 when starting a new campaign, you have to wait for everyone to load before the opening cutscene plays. Which is weird because in between the sections you don't have to wait for others to load.

BF3 on SSD is like WOW...can go from Battlenet to game in like 10-15 seconds.

haha I know how OP feels... you end up wandering around for longer than enjoyable

Dead Island is bad for this. Especially in certain sections where you load first in a 4 player game and have to single handedly wipe out a pile of enemies while the others catch up. When they load theres nothing really for them to do.

You should all just install your games on an SSD. That is all.

then go buy a mac.. you won't ever have to worry about loading a map before anyone, lol. :p

or you can just buy me a 480GB SSD instead.. though this option is far cheaper then the first option.

lol 2 minutes, thats it? hell try waiting 10 minutes in LoL.. mind you the first 7 minutes of it was just him going from the lobby screen to loading screen.. then having to wait for him to actually load the friggin game. but either way i don't mind it since i use the loading time to go have a cancer stick outside.

RAMDisk > SSD

Troof

Now I have 16Gb of RAM i've been tinkering with this, I've written a script to automatically create a RAMDisk at boot and copy game files there from my SSD so when I run games off it I get super load speeds.

A lot of games are CPU limited when loading though, I benchmarked the loading times for BFBC2 from both a SSD and RAMDisk both loading the game and the maps and the loading times were the same.

That's with a 2600k CPU @ 4.7Ghz

Need to test more games though really, still playing with it :)

SSD is still pretty expensive for gaming. My Steam folder alone takes up almost 500GB, so WD's Black 1TB or 2TB is still the only viable choice for me until 1TB SSD becomes more affordable. :(

SSD is still pretty expensive for gaming. My Steam folder alone takes up almost 500GB, so WD's Black 1TB or 2TB is still the only viable choice for me until 1TB SSD becomes more affordable. :(

A lot of us are in similar situations but using Steam Mover to transfer our Steam games between our SSD's and mechanical hard drives negates the problem. I'm pretty sure it works for non-Steam games as well, though I've never tried.

A lot of us are in similar situations but using Steam Mover to transfer our Steam games between our SSD's and mechanical hard drives negates the problem. I'm pretty sure it works for non-Steam games as well, though I've never tried.

I use a program called "Link Shell Extension" to create junctions for my game folders. It works for steam or any other program. A junction is kind of like a shortcut but Windows thinks it is looking in the selected folder when it fact the data is stored in a separate location.

^^ You guys realize both program do basically the same thing.

It's symbolic links that it creates and the only program needed for this is the command line.

^^ You guys realize both program do basically the same thing.

It's symbolic links that it creates and the only program needed for this is the command line.

You're right. It's just that the shell extension program integrates the process into Windows Explorer making it a whole lot easier to manage.

my friends slc iodrive + 4.8ghz ivy loads a so much faster than my 4.5ghz sandy + m4

ofcourse his iodrive costs 3x more than my whole desktop lol.

Also in Left 4 Dead 2 when starting a new campaign, you have to wait for everyone to load before the opening cutscene plays. Which is weird because in between the sections you don't have to wait for others to load.

that and in L4D2 the first person that loads on infected side is jockey 90% of the time. I hate being jockey at the start of a round.

Back