I don't get it, why do people that play/love CS 1.6 hate CS:S?

v6maro

[H]ard|Gawd
I dont understand? I just really dont. I used to play 1.6 all the tim and now I play CS:S all the time. CS:S has such better graphics and I think the game in general is just about the same. Why the hate?

It has to do with the accuracy of the gameplay. Ever since source debuted there have been hitbox issues, and people in general don't find it nearly as accurate. 1.6 is proven, accurate, and the gold standard for competitive play.

The thing is, the problems with Source probably won't bother you unless you like to play it competitively. Thats why when I played CS I was exclusively 1.6.

I have played since back in 1.3.

The day when you could buy CS:S, I already was downloading, etc.
Got onto a private server with some friends and immediately noticed how horrible it was.
I recently went back to check it out, since some friends said they have improved it a ton.
Yet even still when I played it was not on the level as the older CS versions, even 1.6.

To me, it is just the register box is very scewed. The overall "feel" of the game. While
it does look cleaner, and nicer, they tried to make it seems more realistic. Yet they
did not capture it at all.

~They made a good looking game, but not something that I enjoy to play.

I feel that CS:S is smoother than 1.6, but my friend is holding on to his 1.6 and dislikes source :|

I dont understand? I just really dont. I used to play 1.6 all the tim and now I play CS:S all the time. CS:S has such better graphics and I think the game in general is just about the same. Why the hate?

Just their personal preferences for the different feels.

They are basically 2 seperate games with the same name.

Hit boxes are different, I feel as though CS:S is more random and total newbs can get easier HeadShots.... The DE pwns in CS:S... but honestly they really feel like 2 different games.

I play CS 1.6 to this day... in an active CAL team thats going to play offs.... I could never play CS:S competitively...

People dont like change

But mainly as said, hitbox issues, - i think mainly Source's lag implementation of what you see is what you hit

I.E - your 5ft past a doorway and die ? Or your dead before you come around a corner cause the guy with a 5 ping shot already.

yup, thas because the person lagging just saw you, so they shoot, your dead, real fair ?

You have to realize that 1.6 has been played for so long that any subtle changes to the game potentially devastate established methods of play in the minds of hardcore players. When the awp scope delay was introduced or when bunny hopping was removed I remember many hardcore players saying they would quit the game because it changed everything and made the game more accessible to noobs. The tactics they used to give them an upper hand were suddenly no longer available. This is essentially why they dislike moving to source. Even though it's based on 1.6, enough is different that established habits and strategies no longer work due to the variations. They don't know the angles of the maps anymore, the recoil is slightly different and a bit more random so it's harder to counteract, flashbangs are more effective, but harder to throw accurately for instance.

Essentially, it boils down to having spent years learning every nuance of 1.6 and a lot of that translates to cs:s, but enough is different that hardcore players are out of their element. The players that are used to easily dominating 1.6 games struggle to hold a decent k:d ratio because what they're used to doing in 1.6 doesn't work any more. They're used to being the best and continue to play 1.6 instead of relearning the same skills for source.

Also, when source was first introduced, there were serious problems. Balance issues (protecting long a on d2 with a pump shotty anyone?) as well as issues with hitbox detection and interp, but by and large the majority of it has been taken care of. However, even so, the engine is different so the game inherently plays differently than 1.6.

I think most of the people that now decry it is a horrible game either haven't tried it in a long time or simply are too stubborn to relearn how to play and are too used to cleaning up in 1.6 pubs. For me, I used to play 1.6 competitively and was a die hard source hater. However, I've given it another shot recently and it's not bad, but the two are definitely different. It's little things that you wouldn't notice unless you played 1.6 until you could navigate maps blind, but the differences are there and that's why some people simply won't make the switch.

I used to be really into 1.6 but when Source came out I never looked back. Source just feels more "solid" than 1.6 does. It has less of that "video game" feel.

I used to be really into 1.6 but when Source came out I never looked back.

Ditto... I have no problem with CS:S. I think it's a great game, that is slowly coming into it's own. CS 1.6 has been out for a long time, and obviously Counter Striek has been refined over the many many years it has been out. Source will improve, and get better and better over time, but as of now I have no problems with it, and enjoy it a LOT.

You have to realize that 1.6 has been played for so long that any subtle changes to the game potentially devastate established methods of play in the minds of hardcore players. When the awp scope delay was introduced or when bunny hopping was removed I remember many hardcore players saying they would quit the game because it changed everything and made the game more accessible to noobs. The tactics they used to give them an upper hand were suddenly no longer available. This is essentially why they dislike moving to source. Even though it's based on 1.6, enough is different that established habits and strategies no longer work due to the variations. They don't know the angles of the maps anymore, the recoil is slightly different and a bit more random so it's harder to counteract, flashbangs are more effective, but harder to throw accurately for instance.

Essentially, it boils down to having spent years learning every nuance of 1.6 and a lot of that translates to cs:s, but enough is different that hardcore players are out of their element. The players that are used to easily dominating 1.6 games struggle to hold a decent k:d ratio because what they're used to doing in 1.6 doesn't work any more. They're used to being the best and continue to play 1.6 instead of relearning the same skills for source.

Also, when source was first introduced, there were serious problems. Balance issues (protecting long a on d2 with a pump shotty anyone?) as well as issues with hitbox detection and interp, but by and large the majority of it has been taken care of. However, even so, the engine is different so the game inherently plays differently than 1.6.

I think most of the people that now decry it is a horrible game either haven't tried it in a long time or simply are too stubborn to relearn how to play and are too used to cleaning up in 1.6 pubs. For me, I used to play 1.6 competitively and was a die hard source hater. However, I've given it another shot recently and it's not bad, but the two are definitely different. It's little things that you wouldn't notice unless you played 1.6 until you could navigate maps blind, but the differences are there and that's why some people simply won't make the switch.

I can somewhat understand what your saying, but thats not the case for me. I look at them both as 2 totally different games, with the same name, and the attempt to make things look alike. But as for gameplay (which is essiential) they differ way to much. Its not that I don't want to change, its that I don't enjoy playing Source. Its not that I suck at source or have a problem learning new maps or strats ... its that I just dislike the gameplay. In fact if I go into a source server, I usually do just as well as I do in 1.6 if not better... but it doesnt feeeel the same, it feels like a cheap gimic of cs and I'd rather stick to the origonal. (considering I've been playing since beta 2.0, the game has changed a lot to retail 1.6)

I used to be really into 1.6 but when Source came out I never looked back. Source just feels more "solid" than 1.6 does. It has less of that "video game" feel.

I beg to differ, I feel as though 1.6 feels more solid, better registration (though there is still bs :) ) and doesnt feel like a total blobby cartoon.... I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure :)

I tried to play some cs 1.6. I couldn't get back into it. Just got use to cs:s. The hitboxes isn't that bad if you play on high quality 100 tick servers. I did find a cs 1.6 server with bhop enabled, oh the good memories.

I can somewhat understand what your saying, but thats not the case for me. I look at them both as 2 totally different games, with the same name, and the attempt to make things look alike. But as for gameplay (which is essiential) they differ way to much. Its not that I don't want to change, its that I don't enjoy playing Source. Its not that I suck at source or have a problem learning new maps or strats ... its that I just dislike the gameplay. In fact if I go into a source server, I usually do just as well as I do in 1.6 if not better... but it doesnt feeeel the same, it feels like a cheap gimic of cs and I'd rather stick to the origonal. (considering I've been playing since beta 2.0, the game has changed a lot to retail 1.6)
I can see where you're coming from for sure. They very much are different games for me as well. I think the main difference is that you aren't actively bashing source (that I know of) whereas I would be willing to be that my stubbornness theory probably applies to many of the people are. I don't know of a good way to test it, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of the zealots - on both sides - haven't really based their arguments on any particularly well founded evidence and are just rehashing the same old arguments.

The honest truth is this...

CS is a bitch of a game to learn. Every time a new version came out (of the original CS) veterans usually complained and put off updating because suddenly they were only marginally better than a newbie again. Once they learned the nuances of the new version they kicked butt again, but it took time, sometimes 2 or more weeks, to get back to the same level of play they were at in the old version. However, eventually they all moved to the new version because the old servers slowly died off.

The exact same thing is happening with 1.6 vs. CS:S, except that the 1.6 servers are not going away so there is no impetus to move to CS:S...

Veterans of 1.6 who try CS:S get schooled by those who have been playing for a long time. After anywhere from a few minutes to a few days of getting owned they declare loudly that the game is broke and it sucks and they are going back to 1.6. However, with a few rare exceptions if they just stuck it out for 3 or 4 weeks they would eventually get really good and have no problems with CS:S (with a few rare exceptions who's natural talents are distinctly suited for 1.6 but not for CS:S so they are excellent in the 1.6 while only average in CS:S).

Still the point is that neither game is inherently better. They are just different and those lacking the will to get through the first few days or weeks of getting spanked in CS:S will always complain about it and play 1.6.

The only reasons ANY of the top teams in CS 1.6 moved to CS:S was because the competition was not as fierce as in 1.6 and there was easier money to be won, and that's only started to happen recently. If the best in the world don't like the game, then there has to be a reason.

Preference. Some people like red, some like blue. It's very complicated. :rolleyes:

Things I find different about Source:

Bigger hitboxes (headshots are absurdly easy)
Reduced recoil (not in a good way)
More predictable recoil (lame)
Movement is subtly but distinctly different

A few things that are more due to the Source engine:

The environment can sometimes fool you, causing problems (objects you should be able to jump over or stand on do strange things). Don't try jumping over barrels after you knock them over...you might find yourself coming to a dead stop and slowly sliding down, making you a prime target.

The maps have a lot more intricate details that can interfere with movement; I've gotten stopped by what look like six-inch windowsills. Sure it's more realistic looking, but when I'm backpedalling along a wall and something that small stops me, it shouldn't be there.

I played source in cal currently, played 1.6 but not competitively.... my source team is probably going playoffs and probably making cal IM...

but if all goes wrong, I am switching back to 1.6 since i find competitive much better on 1.6 in scrims and accuracy is much better.

But cs pro mod anyone? :D

beta CS > retail CS

BY A MILE

nothing will ever come close to that, not source, not 1.6, nothing.

Now on topic... I play both from time to time and both are still good game yet different, like some sid it's 2 different game, not only the same with updated graphics...

I miss the days of the M4 with a scope :( That said, I still think CS:S is a great game and I play it almost daily.

Oh and for the people bitching about the anti lag code, I guess you werent around for the days that HL had NO lag code at all? :p

Well lets see. I started playing CS when you still had to pick up canisters, and you didn't know which weapon was dropped (very fun), there was no knife, on a crowbar, and the difference between T's and CT's was one had sleeves. If you want to know what "real" CS is, it's version 7. That was the best. 1.6 came out and it was n00bs galore, hacking became more apparent, etc... Then Source came out, and I had a new comp. The first thing I noticed was the hitbox thing, that ticked me off. The next was the lack of maps. But after a while it grew on me and I really started enjoying how it felt and how to aim differently. The hit box thing still annoys me though... But, anyways, I hadn't played any CS since Christmas until last night, and I sparked up 1.6 on my workstation. I had a blast playing through some of it, but the feel is so "unclean" compared to Source, it just feels old.

I think it's because CS:S is less competative than CS. On top of this people who have spent a long time getting good at CS don't want to have to re-learn all the subtle mechanics of CS:S to become good again.

Only in CS do you get one team all with AWPs taking out the under dogs with greater numbers, more money and more skill, it doesn't get much more elitest and it reflects in the community, which (and I don't like to genralise) are mostly people with no invested interest in fair play of playing for fun.

To me CS:S is more fun, it's not as old so there's significantly less "pros" about and enough players so you can join a server and have a good game with a bunch of average players. Who wants to be playing 1.6 for 12+ months just so you can get good enough to play rounds for more than 30 seconds.

i like cs 1.6 better. the guns just don't feel the same in source and the shot reg is different.

and most of all, i hate the fact that with css its like oh 100tic 66tic whatevertic servers... with 1.6 theres none of that crap

I'm an avid cs player. The reason I like 1.6 is because the movement just feels right to me. When I play CS:S and strafe back and forth, it just feels "floaty" to me. There is a slight delay when you move around. In 1.6, movement is tight and accurate. Also, in CS:S the models kind of float around too. The movement animation doesn't look good to me. It's still fun, but I prefer 1.6 by a mile.

Beta 5.2 was a good one. Everyone was pistol jumping and P90 was almost as good as a rifle. I have good memories of playing cs_docks in beta 5.2.

I've played CS almost daily since 1.4, and I tried Source in Beta. God, that was awful, and have never wanted to try it again. The characters looked horrendous, and the movement was just bad. I understand that it was beta, but it just ruined it for me.

Not to mention you had to pay again for Source. I think that's another reason lots of people still play 1.6.

I used to play CS 1.6 a lot, (during summer of '03, I played it probably 8 hours a day almost everyday) but when CS:S came out I never went back. I still play 1.6 whenever I go to my cousin's house, but I still prefer CS:S, just because I find it more fun. Whenever I play 1.6, I don't feel challenged enough for some reason. I'm pulling off headshots left and right and can easily get high kill-death ratios whereas in Counter-Strike: Source, it's more difficult for me to get a kill, whether that be due to the difference in gameplay or the hitbox thing you guys have been talking about. I don't play CS as much as I used to (the formula has gotten a tad stale after playing it for 7 years), but it's a fun game to fire up when I have nothing to do.

Well lets see. I started playing CS when you still had to pick up canisters, and you didn't know which weapon was dropped (very fun), there was no knife, on a crowbar, and the difference between T's and CT's was one had sleeves. If you want to know what "real" CS is, it's version 7. That was the best. 1.6 came out and it was n00bs galore, hacking became more apparent, etc... Then Source came out, and I had a new comp. The first thing I noticed was the hitbox thing, that ticked me off. The next was the lack of maps. But after a while it grew on me and I really started enjoying how it felt and how to aim differently. The hit box thing still annoys me though... But, anyways, I hadn't played any CS since Christmas until last night, and I sparked up 1.6 on my workstation. I had a blast playing through some of it, but the feel is so "unclean" compared to Source, it just feels old.

You started on Beta 1. I missed out on that due to dial-up :)

Hey old-timers...remember the Desert map? That was such an awp fest, and they were even more annoying then than they are now.

Oh and for the people bitching about the anti lag code, I guess you werent around for the days that HL had NO lag code at all? :p

I remember those days. I was playing with dial-up and had a 150 ping...talk about never getting a shot off. You could almost blink in the time between with a LPB (there's a term you don't see any more) saw me and the time I saw him. That was frustrating, to say the least.

Of course, I refer to the new lag code as "bungie bullets". That's because I'll dash around a corner, get shot in the back, and find myself literally being pulled backwards by the bullets. There have been situations where I was caught and couldn't move out of the line of fire because of the net code.

Some people say "well getting shot would slow you down". Yeah, but when I'm running and I get shot in the back, I'm going to gain some forward inertia before I slow down, not immediately stop and stand still to be shot again.

You started on Beta 1. I missed out on that due to dial-up :)

Hey old-timers...remember the Desert map? That was such an awp fest, and they were even more annoying then than they are now.

ditto. Desert was awesome. CTs would be sniping from the cliffs while the poor Ts hide in the small safehouse :)

I'm partial to beta 4; gun running, easier knife kills (and faster run speed with it out), p90 ownage, etc :)

Escape maps blew chunks though. I think they came out the beta after 4 if I remembered correctly.

Could you guys stop being so civil about this....it is making a serious shift in the world order. Oh boy...I think I just heard a politician saying something honest.

I miss the AS maps, those were so much fun. highrise, oilrig. Those were the days. Hell, you remember when the para was the best sniper rifle? The damn thing had no spread, not to mention 1 bullet with the pump shotty was always dead on. All you young people don't have a clue. :D

Noob :p

Beta 2 was awesome. Gunrunning ftw. :D

Beta 2 would have been truly awesome if it weren't for all the P90 whoring. That thing was a freakin sniper rifle with 50 rounds.

It was that way for a long while though really.

I miss Siege. Sure it turned into the same thing every round. It was fun though damnit.

i just dont like CS:S it just has that weird feel to it and my K:D is horrible but in CS 1.6 my K:D is off the charts

I tried to play some cs 1.6. I couldn't get back into it. Just got use to cs:s. The hitboxes isn't that bad if you play on high quality 100 tick servers. I did find a cs 1.6 server with bhop enabled, oh the good memories.

100 tick servers with sub 75 pings make the world of difference

I started playing counter strike when the first time my friends talked about it i thought it was an expantion to red-alert.

Talk about along time ago :(

But, tbh i like source now. dunno why. just do.

I always get a good laugh out of you people who have to preface their opinions with

"I've played since beta 4.5190871.'er"

No one really gives a damn, why bother?

I play CSS now because the graphics aren't over ten years old. I'm not sure what I would choose if I went competitive (like I have the time for another competition team anyways).

The counter strikes before steam were better i think. They were more accurate and more at skill than the newer ones. The newer 1.6 is ok but its not as great as the originals such as 1.5 and lower. CSS is basically anyone can get a headshot easily by shooting even around the head or even not at the head lol. The head is like the size of the whole body practically. If they made it more accurate atleast like 1.6 then it would be one of the best games. I play 1.6 all the time and css. To css is not as skilled base as call of duty and a lot of other games ;). 1.6 is ok to me :)

The counter strikes before steam were better i think. They were more accurate and more at skill than the newer ones. The newer 1.6 is ok but its not as great as the originals such as 1.5 and lower. CSS is basically anyone can get a headshot easily by shooting even around the head or even not at the head lol. The head is like the size of the whole body practically. If they made it more accurate atleast like 1.6 then it would be one of the best games. I play 1.6 all the time and css. To css is not as skilled base as call of duty and a lot of other games ;). 1.6 is ok to me :)

if you want more accurate, go find an orriginal install of HL1 pre 1016 i think it was
get CS Beta 6.6 or 7.0

BEFORE they changed the netcode in HL to desync allot of animations and add lag comp..

and you will understand how much they fucked up right there when they changed the netcode trying to help out the ppl with 56k and 33.6k modems
the only reason i play source, is for the slightly better graphics and better anti-cheat support

Back