I desperately need help. I have no idea what's going on here...

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I made a gaming computer for my wife out of used older PC parts. A Optiplex 3020 with Quad Core i5, 8gb RAM, RTX 2060, and bought a 700 Watt power supply to replace the one in the Optiplex along with a 1080p monitor. She had a fully working gaming computer and used it like this for a couple days. The thing worked fine, but she bought a new monitor that's 3440x1440 so I sold the 2060 and got her a RTX 2070 Super and a 800 watt power supply. I hooked both into the Dell motherboard and nothing. I turn the system on, the fans spin and everything lights up but no post message, no bios screen, no beeps, nothing. I remove the 2070 and put the 2060 back in and still nothing. I remove the 2060 so have no external GPU at all and still nothing. I swap back to the old 700 watt power supply. Nothing.

So I said screw this... this old Optiplex isn't meant for this and probably just died because once it's plugged in the thing stays on and stays on instead of spinning up for a second and turning off like they usually do.

So I ordered:
I install everything, power on, all the fans light up just like before with the Dell and no post. No beeps. Nothing. Now I am completely confused because these are all new parts. Nothing left of the old Dell. So I go through the old troubleshooting... remove all USB plugs, and nothing. I remove the ram stick and nothing. I am about to plug in the old power supply (700 watt one), but I have a feeling it'll be the same thing.

I just am tearing my hair out not understanding why I am getting NOTHING from the system just like before... it makes absolutely zero sense.

I am really hoping someone has some thoughts on this.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
parts, in or out of the case? have any other gpu that didnt go into that dell?

yeah, thats what i meant. maybe try everything out of the case.
Just tried that and nothing. Everything spins up, but nothing on the screen except "No Signal."

20210128_210738.jpg

theres no ram in it in that pic.
mobo 8pin and pcie 8 pin arent backwards? the plug hover over the cpu fan looks like a 6+2...

I tried it with ram and without to see if I would get any sort of message, but I have not once seen anything come up on the screen no matter the configuration.

The PCI-E 8 pins are clearly labeled with tags and are seperated. The wire you see above the fan is a 4+4 which is the same that's plugged into the motherboard. It's a single wire with two 4+4 connections. One is plugged in as you see and the other floating above the fan.

I tried it with ram and without to see if I would get any sort of message, but I have not once seen anything come up on the screen no matter the configuration.

The PCI-E 8 pins are clearly labeled with tags and are seperated. The wire you see above the fan is a 4+4 which is the same that's plugged into the motherboard. It's a single wire with two 4+4 connections. One is plugged in as you see and the other floating above the fan.
you wont get any post beeps without a speaker, there isnt one on the mobo. got an old school one?

you need an old style 2 pin one to connect on the mobos speaker connector near the front panel connectors.

View attachment 323910

View attachment 323912
I don't have that. And i don't know why it would matter at this point. I mean if nothing works and i am getting no video signal and I've tried literally everything then a couple beeps isn't going to make it work.

Idk. I'm just frustrated.

If that's an antistatic bag, you may have done serious damage to your motherboard. Any powered testing, you want to do on a non-conductive surface. An antistatic bag is conductive, and can short components to each other or ground, causing major damage or failure.

I don't have that. And i don't know why it would matter at this point. I mean if nothing works and i am getting no video signal and I've tried literally everything then a couple beeps isn't going to make it work.

Idk. I'm just frustrated.

First off, without RAM you will not get a video signal. The system won't POST without memory installed. Secondly, the reason for the PC speaker is to get audible beeps during POST which can be used to troubleshoot the motherboard. POST code beeps are used to diagnose issues when you don't get video. I'd also recommend clearing the CMOS, if there is no switch for that, pull the CMOS battery and unplug the system for a couple of hours and try again.

Both of the systems where the 800W was connected don't turn on. To me that's a bit concerning.

I would use a multimeter and test a molex connector for 5V and 12V.

If that's an antistatic bag, you may have done serious damage to your motherboard. Any powered testing, you want to do on a non-conductive surface. An antistatic bag is conductive, and can short components to each other or ground, causing major damage or failure.
That is good to know (it make a lot of sense once you think about it, but at first it is easy has a reflex to use the bag the board came in to protect it from a surface)

A Reddit user replied with this:

You probably need to update the BIOS to a version that supports the CPU. Getting it on there might be difficult. You can download it to a flash drive but as you can't get into the BIOS with that CPU you need to go to a local computer repair store and enquire if they could. I'm sure good repair shops have a bunch of like Ryzen 3 1200 or something for this purpose. I don't know if your board will boot with a 1200 but I'm using it as a example. Maybe a friend has some budget Ryzen system. Best of luck, hopefully that's the issue.

And a Amazon reviewer of this motherboard said this:

"You're still likely to get old stock with bios incapable of even posting with a gen3 cpu. Also lacks the ability to flash bios without a supported CPU and memory. So the only way to get your newer CPU working is to buy an older CPU in order to flash it.

Avoid like the plague, there are plenty of options from manufacturers who do ensure their products are usable with today's hardware and have the capacity to flash standalone to avoid these issues."

So it's possible i have a motherboard that's not flashed to work with the CPU?

You probably need to update the BIOS to a version that supports the CPU. Getting it on there might be difficult. You can download it to a flash drive but as you can't get into the BIOS with that CPU you need to go to a local computer repair store and enquire if they could. I'm sure good repair shops have a bunch of like Ryzen 3 1200 or something for this purpose. I don't know if your board will boot with a 1200 but I'm using it as a example. Maybe a friend has some budget Ryzen system. Best of luck, hopefully that's the issue.

And a Amazon reviewer said this:

"You're still likely to get old stock with bios incapable of even posting with a gen3 cpu. Also lacks the ability to flash bios without a supported CPU and memory. So the only way to get your newer CPU working is to buy an older CPU in order to flash it.

Avoid like the plague, there are plenty of options from manufacturers who do ensure their products are usable with today's hardware and have the capacity to flash standalone to avoid these issues."
was about to ask about that. looked at the support page and you need f20 bios, not the og one. so unless the box says it ready for 2000 series or something like that, that could be it.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
then that should be an updated version of the bios on there, like f40. the dell might have a detachable speaker in the case you could use. i know the 3010s and simular did. small black plastic thing on top the hdd cage.

1611891309324.png

And a Amazon reviewer of this motherboard said this:

So it's possible i have a motherboard that's not flashed to work with the CPU?

This isn't only possible, but very likely. The A320 chipset was launched with the Ryzen 1000 series CPU's. It predates the 2000 series he's using. Unfortunately, being such a low end board it won't have the ability to update the flash ROM without a compatible CPU installed.

This isn't only possible, but very likely. The A320 chipset was launched with the Ryzen 1000 series CPU's. It predates the 2000 series he's using. Unfortunately, being such a low end board it won't have the ability to update the flash ROM without a compatible CPU installed.
Yup I ordered a different board altogether that has support out the box it seems. I am hoping this will be better and work out the box:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FWY246F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SEP547S3G0KSW6EJ06MF

the pic he posted states it 3000 ready so i dont think its the bios.

I didn't catch that, but the A320's have been sold a lot longer than other 300 series chipsets. So, that makes sense. It was only just barely replaced by A520, which is more or less the same thing anyway.

You aren't going to get a video signal with this even if you install the RAM. You don't have a built-in GPU in your 2600.

You might also want to try a new HDMI cable.

1. I tried it with a videocard and without and neither worked.

2. I used that exact same HDMI cord to plug my laptop into the monitor before all this to make sure the monitor was the culprit and the HDMI cable worked. But I can try another one.

1. I tried it with a videocard and without and neither worked.

2. I used that exact same HDMI cord to plug my laptop into the monitor before all this to make sure the monitor was the culprit and the HDMI cable worked. But I can try another one.
Okay, without won't work so that's normal.

Did you make sure to plug the HSF into the header marked CPU?

You might also try plugging the first set of connectors for the 8pin CPU in instead of the farthest set. Just in case there's a bad crimp in there.

You might also try plugging the first set of connectors for the 8pin CPU in instead of the farthest set. Just in case there's a bad crimp in there.

HSF is plugged into "CPU FAN"

And I tried both the short and long connector for the 8 pin.

I did a exchange for the power supply on Amazon. Just in case. I ordered a completely different motherboard model as well. Will get both Saturday. So new motherboard and new PSU (same model) on Saturday and hopefully that solves my problems.

I didn't catch that, but the A320's have been sold a lot longer than other 300 series chipsets. So, that makes sense. It was only just barely replaced by A520, which is more or less the same thing anyway.

Any foreseeable compatibility issues with the RAM I have with the new motherboard coming?

motherboard.jpg

mem.jpg

If not compatible is this a good replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-2400MHz-PC4-19200-Single/dp/B074Q1G6VR

I don't see your RAM on the QVL for Pinnacle Ridge on that MB. Doesn't mean it won't work though.

I don't know about which ram... but have you tried posting with just one stick of ram?

I don't know about which ram... but have you tried posting with just one stick of ram?

That's all I have is one stick. I tried with and without the stick and nothing pops up on screen. Getting new/different motherboard tomorrow. Will try that.

Apevia is a trash brand, at least in their power supply department. There's a reason that their 800W PSU is 50-125% cheaper than other brands, because they cut corners in their designs. I'd recommend returning it if at all possible and going with a reputable brand, like the 700W Thermaltake you already have or something else like Cooler Master, Corsair or Antec. Don't use the Apevia anymore unless you want to to go ape on your components and destroy them.

With your system, I don't see a need for such a beefy power supply. Even a 650W unit would likely be just fine.

You may also want to ditch the Patriot memory as well, they're an awful brand. I had to RMA twelve sticks of their crap memory to get two that actually worked. Their QC is horrid. At minimum you should run memtest on them to make sure they're actually working.

Apevia is a trash brand, at least in their power supply department. There's a reason that their 800W PSU is 50-125% cheaper than other brands, because they cut corners in their designs. I'd recommend returning it if at all possible and going with a reputable brand, like the 700W Thermaltake you already have or something else like Cooler Master, Corsair or Antec. Don't use the Apevia anymore unless you want to to go ape on your components and destroy them.

With your system, I don't see a need for such a beefy power supply. Even a 650W unit would likely be just fine.

You may also want to ditch the Patriot memory as well, they're an awful brand. I had to RMA twelve sticks of their crap memory to get two that actually worked. Their QC is horrid. At minimum you should run memtest on them to make sure they're actually working.

This was my first thought when reading the thread too.

System works until given a shit-tier PSU then dies. Fully new system with same shit-tier PSU doesn't work from the get go. Seems like that's a likely culprit.

People often try to cut corners on a PSU because it doesn't contribute to the overall performance of the system, and they think 800w is 800w. It's the biggest fight I have with friends and family every time they ask me for build advice, thinking I'm waisting their money when the $25 Diablotek PSU on Amazon has all the same number on it. Return that power supply, you don't need 800W for a 2070 Super anyway. Get a quality 650W unit and sleep easy knowing your PSU isn't going to put the rest of your system at risk.

Back