I deleted a folder from desktop but it did not got to the recycle bin

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
as the title says, I deleted a folder from the desktop but it did not got to the recycle bin. it just completely disappeared after I deleted it which I have never seen happen before. it was a large folder containing some movies and the space did get freed up on the hard drive but why did it not go to the recycle bin like everything else I have ever deleted? :confused:

Did you get a warning that the files were too large for the recycle bin and would be permanently deleted?

Under Recycle Bin properties for that drive, are "Custom Size" and "Display Confirmation" both enabled? Was "Custom Size" set larger than the folder you were deleting?

The last possibility is your Recycle Bin somehow got corrupt.

no warning at all. it took a few seconds for it to delete because it was pretty large and then I noticed that it never went to the recycling bin.

yes those are both enabled but it only has 49736 MB listed for the size and what I deleted was well over that so I guess that's why it straight up deleted it?

Out of curiosity why did you delete something you didn't want deleted? You should be able to get it back pretty easily with one of the many recovery tools out there as long as you don't write over any of it.

I did want it deleted. I had just never seen something get deleted without going to the recycle bin so it freaked me out.

If the folder in question was larger than the size allocated to the Recycle Bin, you would have had no other option than permanently deleting it anyway, but there should have been a confirmation dialog.

Do other files you delete from your Desktop produce a confirmation dialog and go to the Recycle Bin? If not, your Recycle Bit probably is corrupt. Delete $Recycle.Bin off the volume in question and reboot.

recycle bin is fine. I just tried another large file and it gave me the notification that it was too large for the recycle bin. I have no idea why I did not get that before but I sure did not notice it if I did. I only remember clicking on the one notification you get when you go to delete something. oh well maybe I am crazy...

shift-delete automatically deletes things, instead of sending ito to the bin, with no notifications.. how did you actually do it? if you pressed delete, maybe your shift button was stuck at the time?

shift-delete automatically deletes things, instead of sending ito to the bin, with no notifications.. how did you actually do it? if you pressed delete, maybe your shift button was stuck at the time?
no I just right clicked and deleted it that way.

I've had files do that to me. They skip they recycle bin completely. Usually it's files on another Data Drive.

Back