I couldn't wait! Refurb 24" bought today!

Whitespace

n00b
Like the title says, I just couldn't wait any longer until Leopard comes out and the hardware is updated. So today, when my loan got approved and the funds were transferred to my account, I splurged at the Apple Online Store.

I purchased the following:
  • Refurbished 24" iMac 2.16 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD - $1699
  • Refurbished Wireless Keyboard - $49
  • Refurbished Wireless Mouse - $49
  • Refurbished 8GB iPod Nano (red) - $209
  • Apple Protection Plan - $169
  • Total Cost: $2444.83
I saved $417.30 vs. buying the same shit used, or almost 15%! Unfortunately, I couldn't use a student developer discount (that would've been ridiculous), but I don't care.

I've dealt too long with shitty Frankenstein Windows, BSD, and OSX86 boxes with parts cannibalized from other shitty Windows boxes. Now I'll have the ultimate in ridiculousness (at least for me and my budget).

Now that I made this purchase, Apple is finally ready to ship Leopard out tomorrow. I swear it'll come true! ;)

OSX86 is not legal and cannot be discussed here, otherwise, congratz on your purchase.

Dont know if you realized this but the student discount still applies to the AppleCare plans on refurbed items. You might want to go back and talk to them.

Dont know if you realized this but the student discount still applies to the AppleCare plans on refurbed items. You might want to go back and talk to them.

From the price he posted I think he took advantage of that.

Aside form the fact that you sort of spazzed out on him, I agree with you. There isn't any sort of rule breached (and if there is, it's retarded) for admitting that you moved from an illegal install of an OS to a legal one. People do it all the time regarding Windows in the OS forum.

Aside form the fact that you sort of spazzed out on him, I agree with you. There isn't any sort of rule breached (and if there is, it's retarded) for admitting that you moved from an illegal install of an OS to a legal one. People do it all the time regarding Windows in the OS forum.
It's in my name. ;-)

I thought the Applecare plans were eligible for a student discount?

We've established that, also from the pricing he posted, it would appear he took advantage of that discount.

We've established that, also from the pricing he posted, it would appear he took advantage of that discount.

We sell AppleCare for the iMac for $169 where I work. Don't think he got any kinda discount on it.

Refurbs do not have educational pricing.

Yeah... but he could have purchased the AppleCare using the educational pricing and it would have been the same thing.

You can't do both though, educational on top of refurb would be nuts.

I'm not presently enrolled, so I didn't get any educational discount on anything, even the APP.

How often does Apple "mess up" and have freebie upgrades on refurbished stuff? I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl right now!

How often does Apple "mess up" and have freebie upgrades on refurbished stuff?

Eh, I can't imagine it happens that much for the refurb stuff. I'm not sure where most of these come from though or how their repair system works. My friend did get a free upgrade to a Core 2 Duo on his new iMac purchase right when they were released. You never know. Maybe you'll get a 26" screen! :p

I'd say you've got a 25% chance of getting a larger HD or extra RAM. I got a 100GB HD in my MBP instead of the 80GB it was supposed to ship with.

The computer arrived at my office's warehouse today. I picked it up and now I'm running on this beautiful beast of a machine.

Remember how I was asking about the free upgrades? The original 24" had the basic everything in it, but the unit I received has a 500GB HDD the upgraded 256MB GeForce 7600GT! That's a $325 value!

Purchasing everything normally (non-refurbished) w/the upgrades makes $3,212.86 after taxes. I paid $2,401.53, saving over 25%!

I :heart Apple!

The computer arrived at my office's warehouse today. I picked it up and now I'm running on this beautiful beast of a machine.

Remember how I was asking about the free upgrades? The original 24" had the basic everything in it, but the unit I received has a 500GB HDD the upgraded 256MB GeForce 7600GT! That's a $325 value!

Purchasing everything normally (non-refurbished) w/the upgrades makes $3,212.86 after taxes. I paid $2,401.53, saving over 25%!

Good to hear! Congrats and enjoy

thats awesome! congrats!

I was wondering about this screen. I've noticed that if I have a pure white page spanning the entire screen real estate (say, a maximized safari window), I've notice that the right side seems cooler than the left. I don't think it's my eyes messing with my head, or from another light source.

I think I read about CCFLs and their inability to be consistent horizontally. Is that what I'm dealing with?

It's not terrible, it's just slightly noticible when I'm reading PDFs, and I don't want it to be a problem when I'm using photoshop.

If I use the screen calibration utility, can it "correct" this? Truth be told, I'd rather stay on sRGB. Any help is appreciated.

Congrats with your new and first Apple machine!

If you can why don't you post pictures of your new 24" computer.

Back