I can’t wait for b550

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
All I want are 2 full speed gen3 m.2 slots that don’t rob lanes from the gpu slot.
Everything else can be a cut and paste from b450.
I don’t care about pcie 4.0 right now.
I dont want a chipset fan.
I could care less about maxed out vrms bc anything better than what I have now I probably wouldn’t notice.
I’m not going past 8cores anytime soon.

I’d also like the launch to happen this year.

i dont think the M.2 part is happening, did AMD said something like that is it just what you want?
im asking because i want the same things
although i would prefer the M.2 slots to also be cpu fed (but still onboard without a pci-e card) which i dont think is possible with gen 3.0

Doubtful it will launch this year. Last rumors/whispers were that A520/B550 were sounding like 1st Q 2020.

I can wait, but my buddy's kid turns 10 in October.

Would have been nice for b450 to go dirt cheap.

As far as the 2nd m.2, it's just a hunch watching the x370-x470-x570 or b350-b450 pattern. There has to be some added capability to drive sales of the new sku.

As far as nvme drive being driven off the CPU lanes, let's see if a vendor tries to build something that stands out.

Asus did it with the Strix line, but 4xx pulled GPU down to 8x for the 2nd nvme drive and ran the 1st nvme drive off chipset lanes.

As far as nvme drive being driven off the CPU lanes, let's see if a vendor tries to build something that stands out.

Zen 2 has 24 PCIe 4.0 lanes coming off the CPU.
  • 4 are used for the downlink to the chipset
  • 16 are used for the GPU.
  • That leaves exactly 4.
Those last 4 are typically used for the first M.2 socket. If you want a second M.2 socket hooked up to the CPU, then the mobo designer would have to add a PCIe hub and split those 4 PCIe 4.0 lanes into 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes. However, since you've then gone from PCIe 4.0 to 3.0 and added a hub, you've just replicated what the B550 chipset already does. That's entirely pointless. You'd be far better off just using the CPU's 4 PCIe 4.0 lanes as they are and taking another 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the B550 chipset for the second M.2 socket.

In short: two M.2 sockets coming off the CPU isn't going to happen, at least not with the Zen 2 architecture.

Most are expecting B550 to be identical to X570, except that it will use PCIe 3.0 rather than PCIe 4.0. If true, then B550 will have a lot more PCIe lanes to work with than any of AMD's 400 series chipsets did. In that case you'll not have to worry that the second M.2 socket will downgrade the GPU slot. For the most part it's only AMD's 400 series chipsets that have that problem.

I'm building a box for my buddy's kid.
1st gaming box, yadda yadda yadda,
I was going to give him my b450m board.

I'm going to end up buying a board before B550 launches unfortunately.

The 450 has been a sweet spot for a long time. It'll be interesting to see what really comes of the b550 and what the features are.

My bottom of the barrel POS freebie with a cpu b450m has been really good.

Runs a 1700x @ 3.9ghz all core at 1.35v.
2600 does 4.1ghz @ 1.35v....gotta go 1.4/1.45v if I'm recording or streaming at the same time.

Can game all day if I wanted to burn the time.

Runs Corsair lpx 3200 at XMP.

Nothing really to complain about but I'm late to the Ryzen platform.

During all the early probs I was on x299.

Zen2 I'll get on next year after current and future problems either get solved or people just decide to live with them.

Will the 550 have more PCIe 3.0 lanes than 570? I would assume it’s just driving the same 16 +4+4 at 3.0 speeds because that’s simpler/cheaper. Is there a PCIe switch / mux to double the 3.0 lanes in the chipset?

Boost issues right now.
12-core has a ccd layout Wendell from Linus something or other found cold plates on some coolers weren't working as well as orhers.
Waiting for 16core launch to see if that phenomenon is exacerbated.

Back